PDA

View Full Version : why, why, WHY?

i_luv_jgarland
05-28-2003, 10:01 PM
:angry: WHY didn't they let Jon pitch the ninth inning!?!? We were up by EIGHT and he was on his way to a complete game, shut out!! ANY insight!?!? :angry:

kermittheefrog
05-28-2003, 10:03 PM
You said it, we were up by 8, he didn't need to pitch the ninth. Give his arm a break and give him a pat on the back for eight great innings.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Yeah, we need a win more than we need Jon Garland needs a CG.

Seriously, this guy has been a nightmare all season. He had a good game tonight, so why ruin it by letting him pitch the ninth? You had the heart of the Jays lineup coming up, so odds were Garland gives up a couple runs, even with a eight run lead, and ruins a good night. Let him leave on a high.

LuvSox
05-28-2003, 10:06 PM
It gives Koch some work too, he needs it.

Tragg
05-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

Seriously, this guy has been a nightmare all season. He had a good game tonight, so why ruin it by letting him pitch the ninth? You had the heart of the Jays lineup coming up, so odds were Garland gives up a couple runs, even with a eight run lead, and ruins a good night. Let him leave on a high.

This is Garland's third or fourth quality start in a row - hardly a nightmare.

gosox3072
05-28-2003, 10:44 PM
We also had a big 9th inning that took some time, while we were piling up 6 runs JG was sittin on the bench with his arm stiffining up, Koch was ready to go if it was a save oppourtunity so he was ready. Good call by manuel to put in koch

Rocklive99
05-28-2003, 10:47 PM
I agree that Koch needed the work, hopefully gaining more confindence against his old team and against the best hitting team in the AL. It'd also be nice to see his ERA under 6

GASHWOUND
05-28-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

yeah, let J.G. go out on a high...8 shut out innings is better then pitching 9 innings and givin up 2 or 3 runs..even though he probably could've pitched a shut out..pitch count wasn't that high for once..but, get Garland outta there..

DrCrawdad
05-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Man, Sox fans can be a difficult crowd to please. The Sox pile on 6 runs late in the game and we complain. Garland pitches 8 quality innings, gets the win but we're not satisfied.

The Sox needed a win. They got a win. Let's be happy with that.

i_luv_jgarland
05-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Man, Sox fans can be a difficult crowd to please.
The Sox needed a win. They got a win. Let's be happy with that.

OK, when you're right, you're right. But, I never said I wasn't thoroughly EXCITED about the win, and the way they played tonight. I was just wondering why on earth they didn't let Jon finish.

DrCrawdad
05-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
OK, when you're right, you're right. But, I never said I wasn't thoroughly EXCITED about the win, and the way they played tonight. I was just wondering why on earth they didn't let Jon finish.

I would like to have seen Jon finish the game as well. But at this point, I'll take the win and be happy with that.

MHOUSE
05-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Eight shutout innings. He pitched great, let's end it at that. Koch was ready since the score was only 2-0 so let him get some work. He's looked good his last few outings. Keep it up Billy Goat!

Unregistered
05-29-2003, 12:07 AM
From the recap
"I was upset. I wanted the chance, but I don't manage the team. I'm just a player on the team," said Garland, who pleaded his case with manager Jerry Manuel. "It's his decision, and he went with it." Think Jonny is lobbying for Wally to take over for Ol' Jer? :D:

Dadawg_77
05-29-2003, 10:01 AM
They took Jon out when the score was 2-0 at the end of 8. The decision to bring Koch was made and just the Sox scoring 6 runs in the top of 9th threw a monkey wrench into the logic but since the choice was already made, they stuck with it. So you can't look at this from the point of view of Sox winning 8-0 but from the point of view the Sox winning 2-0.

daveb816
05-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Maybe because the lead was 2-0 after 8 and Koch started warming up. If JM had known Sox would score 6 in 9th, he might have left JG in.

The real answer to your question is: WHO CARES WHO FINISHES WITH AN 8-0 LEAD?!?!?!? IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING!!!

Hangar18
05-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Man, he pitched a Hell of a Game last nite, the best one this year. They shouldve just let him go all the way, with a big lead like that. I dont think hes ever gone the whole way before has he? Good Job Johnny. Now keep doing it. too bad the seasons over though.....

Rocky Soprano
05-29-2003, 10:51 AM
The season's over?

Yeah and the Cubs are going to finish in First Place

I agree some of you complain for every single thing. We got a win, JG threw a great game and he got a win, who cares who finished the 9th.

We won! :gulp:

Kilroy
05-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
I agree some of you complain for every single thing. We got a win, JG threw a great game and he got a win, who cares who finished the 9th.

Its just a fact of Sox-life. Some Sox fans absolutley have to have something to bitch about.

Lemme see, after the bottom of the 8th, JR probably says good job kid, Koch is getting the 9th. Something no one would have said a word about had the score stayed 2-0. He was letting Garland leave after having pitched extremely well. Also, getting his shaky closer in and letting him do the job and get his confidence up a bit. Then Sox put up 6 in the top of 9. Now maybe it is a dcent situation for a guy to go for a CG, up 8, but -- since JR had already (probably) told Garland he was done, he probably relaxed. Koch was warm and ready, and Garland had just sat thru a long top of the 9th where the Sox sent 9+ men to the plate. So Koch is not in a save situation any more, but the starter is now cold and Koch hasn't pitched in days.

Yet here some Sox fans are the day after we shut out a team that beat us 2 straight, complaining about why a pitcher didn't get to finish the game when that doesn't mean a damn thing anyway. The only thing that really matters is what column the tally goes in. The W or the L.