PDA

View Full Version : Thomas at 1B tonight.

FarmerAndy
05-28-2003, 06:28 PM
It looks like Thomas will be at 1B tonight. Does anybody else think that this is a bad idea?

I've been a big advocate of getting Frank back out on the field more, and was happy to hear Manuel say that he would get the start out there in Cleveland. But I don't think it's a good idea to put him out there for the first time this season in Toronto on artificial turf.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would wait until Cleveland.

Anybody?

LuvSox
05-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Let him play, he may hit better.

Dadawg_77
05-28-2003, 07:07 PM
If it means we don't have to see Konkerko or Dough boy then it is a good thing.

Iguana775
05-28-2003, 08:42 PM
if it means frank playing like the frank of old, FREAKING DO IT!

Jerry_Manuel
05-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
It looks like Thomas will be at 1B tonight. Does anybody else think that this is a bad idea?

Their 8 games back, what do you have to lose?

gosox3072
05-28-2003, 10:46 PM
Guaranteed frank will play 1st a little more now. He will be on our team next year while i doubt both daubach and konerko will be. Im sure that next year our primary first basemen will be FT

MHOUSE
05-28-2003, 11:55 PM
He made a great play on a ball hit down the line. Got an RBI hit too. Hey, whatever works.

Unregistered
05-29-2003, 12:03 AM
"He'll be at first tomorrow. He came up with a big hit for us," Manuel said. Might as well keep him there considering our other options...

jeremyb1
05-29-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
Guaranteed frank will play 1st a little more now. He will be on our team next year while i doubt both daubach and konerko will be. Im sure that next year our primary first basemen will be FT

i promise konerko isn't going without a major spike in production considering the contract he just signed last offseason.

voodoochile
05-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072

Or they are showcasing him for a trade to a NL team. Playing LA pretty soon. Weren't they rumored to be interested in Frank during the off season?

Daver
05-29-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Or they are showcasing him for a trade to a NL team. Playing LA pretty soon. Weren't they rumored to be interested in Frank during the off season?

Tough call,Frank can't be traded.

Dadawg_77
05-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by daver
Tough call,Frank can't be traded.

Frank can be traded, he just has to agree to it.

voodoochile
05-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Frank can be traded, he just has to agree to it.

And LA might look attractive to him with Evans in charge of things. He wants to play more 1B so he has more options as a player. It effectively doubles the number of teams he can play for.

Personally, I think Frank is getting tired of the way he has been treated here. I would be in his shoes...

Hangar18
05-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
And LA might look attractive to him with Evans in charge of things. He wants to play more 1B so he has more options as a player. It effectively doubles the number of teams he can play for.

Personally, I think Frank is getting tired of the way he has been treated here. I would be in his shoes...

OK....THIS IS WEIRD......I was hanging out on the Dodgers website last nite (I was doing advance scouting) and for some reason, I thought the same thing. I imagined Large Francis
in a Dodger uniform.....I didnt like it. Can you see what he'd look like in that uniform? He'd look like the Michelin Man, all white outfit. I can see him there very soon........Sox and Dodgers will make a trade we'll get K. Brown in the deal. (Evans will slip Kyle Brown, a 38 yr old relief pitcher on us) Big Frank will want to live the Hollywood lifestyle, and he'll Resurrect his Career in the National League. this doesnt sound right. :(:

Jjav829
05-29-2003, 11:01 PM
I don't see a NL team taking that risk. Frank is 35 and has played a total of 9 games in the field during the past 2 years. This is not the time at which he should be reinventing himself as a fielder. This would be the time where he would hang up the glove and finish out the last years of his career at DH just focusing on hitting....except he has basically already done that whether by choice or not. NL teams don't have the luxury of AL teams. They can't bring him over and try him at 1B for a little while and if it doesn't work out, make him their DH. They are stuck. If he sucks at 1B, there is nothing that they can do about it except immediately try to trade him. It would take a GM with big stones to make that move. I don't see it happening.

Daver
05-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I don't see a NL team taking that risk. Frank is 35 and has played a total of 9 games in the field during the past 2 years. This is not the time at which he should be reinventing himself as a fielder. This would be the time where he would hang up the glove and finish out the last years of his career at DH just focusing on hitting....except he has basically already done that whether by choice or not. NL teams don't have the luxury of AL teams. They can't bring him over and try him at 1B for a little while and if it doesn't work out, make him their DH. They are stuck. If he sucks at 1B, there is nothing that they can do about it except immediately try to trade him. It would take a GM with big stones to make that move. I don't see it happening.

Dan Evans is stupid enough to do it.

FarmerAndy
05-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
NL teams don't have the luxury of AL teams. They can't bring him over and try him at 1B for a little while and if it doesn't work out, make him their DH. They are stuck. If he sucks at 1B, there is nothing that they can do about it except immediately try to trade him. It would take a GM with big stones to make that move. I don't see it happening.

Dude, Fred McGriff still plays out there all the time and he's horrible. Frank would be an upgrade at 1B for the Dodgers.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2003, 09:59 AM
I would make Frank Thomas our everyday firstbasemen for the rest of the season. Konerko isn't doing jack, and Manuel has 100-times more flexibility using Konehead as DH or a pinch hitter.

As for Frank potentially getting hurt in the field (like he did in April, 2001), that's a risk I'm willing to take. His numbers simply aren't good enough to protect him from possible injury. If Frank goes down hurt, we have other options to replace what he brings to the table.

The team is better with Frank at 1B. It seems Frank's offense is better when he plays at 1B, too.

All of this would make perfect sense to a manager not going through the motions. Of course we're stuck with Manuel... and the people who hired him.

:jerry
"zzzz... zzzz... zzzz..."

:KW
"Hello Rentco? I want you to come pick up that big-screen TV and family room set of yours. I don't figure to stay where I am much longer."

:reinsy
"If I can pretend it's everybody else's fault for just six more weeks, I can hold out with my partners for at least one more year."

:selljerry

Randar68
05-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I would make Frank Thomas our everyday firstbasemen for the rest of the season. Konerko isn't doing jack, and Manuel has 100-times more flexibility using Konehead as DH or a pinch hitter.

As for Frank potentially getting hurt in the field (like he did in April, 2001), that's a risk I'm willing to take. His numbers simply aren't good enough to protect him from possible injury. If Frank goes down hurt, we have other options to replace what he brings to the table.

The team is better with Frank at 1B. It seems Frank's offense is better when he plays at 1B, too.

All of this would make perfect sense to a manager not going through the motions. Of course we're stuck with Manuel... and the people who hired him.

For as much crap as Frank takes over there in the field, defensively, he is average at worst. The only thing he can't do, and it's part mental on his part, is throw the ball effectively. He's not as mobile as some, but he is a BIG target over there (something Jose certainly needs). Konerko is a bit more mobile and turns the 3-6-3 DP as good as anyone I can remember, but he is no gold glover over there either. For someone who has played a handful of games at 1B total over the past 3 years, he has looked pretty damn comfortable.

In addition, if this team totally blows up and they wish to trade him, showing he can still play over at 1B certainly opens the doors to teams that were previously not interested.

A.T. Money
05-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Say what you want about Thomas defensively. His glove is far above average. He's made some outstanding scoops and plays with the glove. The problem, as already stated, is the throwing part.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Say what you want about Thomas defensively. His glove is far above average. He's made some outstanding scoops and plays with the glove. The problem, as already stated, is the throwing part.

I imagine Thomas will get more than his share of bunts to field. Piniella revealed that weakness during the '00 ALDS. Still, Frank ought to be playing 1B everyday because right now we have absolutely no better options.

voodoochile
05-30-2003, 01:17 PM
I imagine Thomas will get more than his share of bunts to field. Piniella revealed that weakness during the '00 ALDS. Still, Frank ought to be playing 1B everyday because right now we have absolutely no better options.

Especially with road games in NL parks coming up. Play Frank at first until Paulie proves he can hit again. Daubach shouldn't be allowed within 10 feet of a glove, IMO.

A.T. Money
05-30-2003, 01:26 PM

I agree whole heartedly George, not to mention his offense is so much better when he plays there. Since being put at first, he has a 2 game hitting streak. If he's proven over his career that he's a better hitter playing first base, why does Manuel keep him there a couple days, only to put him right back to DH to start suckin?

I remember he didn't start playing DH until 93-94 when he had that injury to his forearm.

FarmerAndy
05-30-2003, 02:13 PM
I agree also. Keep him out there. I my mind, Konerko needs to earn the job back. Until then, it should be Frank's job to lose. As long as he keeps playing good out there, he should stay there.

I think Frank's glove is great. Yes, he does have a weakness when it comes to fielding bunts and throwing. But he has good range and he's good with the glove. Valentin and Jimenez have been making alot of bad throws over there, and I think Frank is better than Konerko or Daubach at scooping them out. He's taller too, so he can stretch further.

Plus, I'd like to shut up all the idiots who say Frank is only half of a player.

Nellie_Fox
05-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Well, it continues. 2 for 4 tonight, a homer, a double and three RBI. On base three times in five plate appearances. It certainly does appear (and has appeared over the years, which is no surprise to most WSI posters) that Frank is a much better hitter when he is also playing defense. Apparently, all that time sitting on the bench between at bats must give him too much time to brood about a bad AB.

LEAVE FRANK AT FIRST until it isn't working.

MarkEdward
05-31-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Well, it continues. 2 for 4 tonight, a homer, a double and three RBI. On base three times in five plate appearances. It certainly does appear (and has appeared over the years, which is no surprise to most WSI posters) that Frank is a much better hitter when he is also playing defense. Apparently, all that time sitting on the bench between at bats must give him too much time to brood about a bad AB.

LEAVE FRANK AT FIRST until it isn't working.

Well, Thomas was hitting well even before he started playing first. But I do agree that he should remain at first; anything to take ABs from Konerko.

Nellie_Fox
05-31-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Well, Thomas was hitting well even before he started playing first. But I do agree that he should remain at first; anything to take ABs from Konerko. Actually, no he wasn't. He had a spurt against Baltimore, but had gone quiet again until installed at first.

ncfan
05-31-2003, 09:33 AM
Frank has played three games at first, and needs to be platooned
there often. He so far is errorless, although I am sure that will
happen. Our defense cannot get much worse regardless. When
he takes the field his head is much more in the game, and not
sitting on the bench wondering how he is going to correct his
hitting. This may be true, because he has hit now in the last
three games, and was our whole offense last night at Cleveland.
Konerko, should DH for awhile. Maybe this could work in reverse
for him. Anyway it opens much more options for us at DH with
Frank on the field. Hey, we can`t do any worse. The Twins are
the ones we will be chasing this year.

Jjav829
05-31-2003, 01:22 PM
Well, Thomas was hitting well even before he started playing first. But I do agree that he should remain at first; anything to take ABs from Konerko.

Umm, you do realize that Konerko is going to play regardless of where it is right? If Frank plays more first, that just means more starts at DH for Konerko.

MarkEdward
05-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Actually, no he wasn't. He had a spurt against Baltimore, but had gone quiet again until installed at first.

His OBP has been consistently over .400 for all of this year. His power numbers haven't been there, but he's been our best hitter for the whole year.

Jjav829
05-31-2003, 06:17 PM
His OBP has been consistently over .400 for all of this year. His power numbers haven't been there, but he's been our best hitter for the whole year.

His OBP has been high because hes taking a lot of walks. He hasn't been hitting the ball all that well though except for that little streak Nellie was talking about.

Nellie_Fox
06-01-2003, 02:18 AM
His OBP has been consistently over .400 for all of this year. His power numbers haven't been there, but he's been our best hitter for the whole year. There isn't a bigger Frank fan than me, but since his couple of good days against Baltimore, he had gone stone-cold quiet, with a lot of oh-fers. First base is an offensive position, and if playing there every day reignites his bat, then have his name printed as 1B on the lineup cards for the rest of the year.

RKMeibalane
06-01-2003, 06:08 PM
There isn't a bigger Frank fan than me, but since his couple of good days against Baltimore, he had gone stone-cold quiet, with a lot of oh-fers. First base is an offensive position, and if playing there every day reignites his bat, then have his name printed as 1B on the lineup cards for the rest of the year.

Agreed. As I (and others) have said before, when Frank Thomas is on his game, he is the best hitter in baseball. That alone is reason enough to put him at first base the rest of the season. Of course, I don't think that's going to happen, because the Sox are managed by Jerry Manuel, and everyone knows what his problem is.

"I do like to tinker."

TornLabrum
06-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Agreed. As I (and others) have said before, when Frank Thomas is on his game, he is the best hitter in baseball. That alone is reason enough to put him at first base the rest of the season. Of course, I don't think that's going to happen, because the Sox are managed by Jerry Manuel, and everyone knows what his problem is.

"I do like to tinker."

"And rest assured that once interleague play is over, Frank will be back at his best position, DH."