PDA

View Full Version : So what do the Sox do now?

Dadawg_77
08-20-2001, 01:26 AM
While nothing would make me more please then the Sox somehow make the playoffs (well at least more please in a baseball context), the Sox are no longer a contender this year. After watching the A's sweep them this weekend, I don't have a glimmer of hope left. So the question now is what will you be looking for out of the Sox for the rest of the year? And what moves should the team make to improve for the 2002 push?

I will watch Rowand in CF. So far he showing better O skills then what we have out there before. But can he play the D, with Carlos in LF we should have a good to great glove in CF. As for moves, try have Jose Canseco can waivers, not sure if this has been done, for a trade to a team that needs a power hitter.
He won't or shouldn't be here next season so see what you could get for him.

Also who would you like the Sox to call up in Sept?

OfficerKarkovice
08-20-2001, 01:37 AM
I agree...Rowand should get a lot of playing time in center. With Canseco, I almost hate to see the Sox let him go because he really is playing pretty good, but honestly we have no use for him, he is an everyday player and no a very good pinch hitter. I think that we should try to trade him thru waivers because realistically his value may never be higher.

As for call-ups, I think that Crede will be up for sure, along with players such as Ramirez and Vining and an assortment of others.

Randar you seem to know the minor league system better than anyone who do you see getting called up?

Kilroy
08-20-2001, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
After watching the A's sweep them this weekend, I don't have a glimmer of hope left...

Well, that's a bit sad. First of all, I think Sox fans all knew coming into this weekend that the A's were hot and probably gonna hand it to us. We got thru it in decent shape considering. We only lost one game in the standings to the Indians.

The Indians get Oakland and Seattle for the next 7 while we get KC and Tampa. With some help and some good baseball, something the Sox have done against these 2 teams, they can be right there.

While I agree that it doesn't look good for the Sox right now, its still not over. There's possibilities. And that's not even considering any games the Sox have left vs the Injuns.

It's thin and all that, but this week is the Sox last best chance to get near the top of the Central this year. If they don't get that help out west, and make their own breaks on the road, then they will be done.

Iguana775
08-20-2001, 08:53 AM
i agree with you kilroy. i wasnt expecting out guys to do much against the hot A's. i was hoping to get 1 from them but didnt. overall, i dont think we did too bad. with everyone heathly, we sweep them.

Dadawg_77
08-20-2001, 10:01 AM
Like Rick Flair says, "To be the Man, you got to beat the Man". The Sox need to knock off top teams not just wait for the gimp teams to beat up on. The Sox should of won at least one game if not two this weekend but the teams seemed to looking for ways to lose. It seems the Sox lack the killer instinct to go for the jugular which seems to be the biggest difference from last year. In 2000 the Sox founded ways to win games, this year they seem to find way to lose games. That's why I hold no hope out for the 2001 version of the Sox so its time to move on to the greener pastures of 2002. Now I hope I wrong, but I just don't think its possible.

One move I would love to see, is the Sox move Royce Clayton to some team within the division or baring that off this roster.

Kilroy
08-20-2001, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
In 2000 the Sox founded ways to win games, this year they seem to find way to lose games. That's why I hold no hope out for the 2001 version of the Sox so its time to move on to the greener pastures of 2002. Now I hope I wrong, but I just don't think its possible.

While I still hold out some hope for the Sox winning the central, I'm not completely delusional. If the Sox were to somehow find their way to the postseason, it would be another short stay. But since it's still possible, no matter how remote, I can't turn to next year yet. Besides, there will be several months of off season to worry about next year.

Wouldn't you just love for the arrogant Indians and the Miracle Twins to be on the outside looking in at the South Side MASH unit? Even a three and out would be sweet all things considered.

Dadawg_77
08-20-2001, 10:43 AM
That would be great. But add into the mix that the Lovable Losers Flubbies freefall from first. What would the Chicago media do? The Flubs out even thou they were in first place most of the season and the Sox coming out of no where to take the division. That would be a story for the ages. But oh well, all I really hope for is the Sox to win the Series before Boston and Flubs.

Tree
08-20-2001, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know if there are any legit leadoff hitters in the minors or available in the off season? We need guys with Higher onbase percentages in the Majors. Last year this team had a boat load of walks now its like none. Do you think it is due to Thomas not being in the lineup?

Clarkdog
08-20-2001, 12:05 PM
I hope that KW was paying attention to this series because the Sox problems, and areas to pay mind to in the off season were called out in the Sox play against the A's, and the A's play against the Sox.

1. The bullpen is weak and inconsistent.
I don't think that anyone can say that the Sox have what it takes in the pen to be considered post-season threats. That is primarily due to injury, but there are needs. The Sox need a consistent left handed arm, Embree is not it, and Wunsch - who knows? What is up with Howry? Holding a game is just as important as saving it. It seems like no one in that pen can get ahead of hitters. Throw first pitch strikes, that is the only way the pen can have any success. The A's pen - exactly the opposite.

2. Situational Hitting
The A's did everything they could to get hits when the needed them. The Sox didn't. Example: Sunday A's 5th, Dye up w/ based full, behind in the count, goes with the pitch and doubles to right. Maggs may have misplayed it, but it was scalded. Sunday Sox 9th. After scoring one run off Isringhausen, and with a man on second and two out, Liefer gets behind in the count. But instead to looking to protect and hit the ball the opposite way, he trys to pull it and strikes out. How dumb is that? Liefer should have known that Isringhausen would never give him an inside pitch, because Liefer could have pulled it out of the ballpark. So of course he was going to pitch away, especially when Isringhausen is ahead in the count.

3. Leadoff hitting
Simply put the A's are more patient hitters that the Sox. They know how important getting that leadoff runner on is. In addition, Damon is a better leadoff man than Durham. He makes that A's offense go. Durham should too, but his approach at the plate is far different than Damon's.

These teams talent wise are no too far apart, but these three reason are why the A's may be the best team in the AL right now, and the Sox are struggling to stay .500.

Randar68
08-20-2001, 01:00 PM
Randar you seem to know the minor league system better than anyone who do you see getting called up?

Well, this year will probably the hardest to predict. Anyone with any talent has already been called up for AAA. Liu, Crede, MArio Valenzuela, Matt Guerrier, Vining, and Josh Fogg are all probably locks. Borchard and Hummel could be called up, but the Sox have indicated in the past that they would prefer not to expose Borchard to MLB until next season, if possible. This would ensure he would still be able to play in the case of a lockout.

With the current state of our bullpen, almost all the options in AAA have been exhausted. Mitch Wylie might get the call from AA, but his only plus stat is wins.

They hardly ever use all 40 spots, and in this year's case, we may see a few journeyman AAA'ers get calls, or the Sox just not use those roster spots....

Does anyone know if there are any legit leadoff hitters in the minors or available in the off season? We need guys with Higher onbase percentages in the Majors. Last year this team had a boat load of walks now its like none. Do you think it is due to Thomas not being in the lineup?

Hummel's the closest thing to it. He's a pure contact hitter with a line-drive swing. His K:BB ratio is about 1:1. That being said, he's not the prototypical leadoff hitter, in that he doesn't have blazing speed. He plays a solid second base, and as far as I'm concerned, Ray has proven he is nothing without Frank. At 5+ million, Ray can pack his bags as soon as Hummel's ready...

Jerry_Manuel
08-20-2001, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
we may see a few journeyman AAA'ers get calls, or the Sox just not use those roster spots....

Wouldn't that mean the Berry guy we got from LA?
I want to see this guy's arm!

:KW
I like his arm.

Randar68
08-20-2001, 01:19 PM
Wouldn't that mean the Berry guy we got from LA?

Yeah, and maybe we'll see Jason Dellaero's 94 MPH arm from SS for the last time before they convert him to a pitcher....if only he could hit, if only he could hit.....