PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Rogers Watch.....

Hangar18
05-28-2003, 02:24 PM
boy, if we could only have collected the extra money it wouldve taken to sign this guy when we realized we would need more veteran pitching instead of 2 question marks Wright/Garland.

G IP H R ER HR BB SO W L ERA (BAA)
10 62.2 74 32 30 5 14 43 4 1 4.31 .292

the batting avg against is pretty high......but still think we couldve used him. im thinking he isnt pitching well indoors.....

lowesox
05-28-2003, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure more pitching would have made that much of a difference.

thecell
05-28-2003, 03:22 PM
we could have used him in the lineup and you'd never know...he has a .159 career BA...he'd fit right in

CHISOXFAN13
05-28-2003, 03:28 PM
If we would've signed Rogers, who's to say we would have inked Loaiza. \\

It's difficult to fathom where we'd be without No. 21 on the bump.

ma-gaga
05-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
boy, if we could only have collected the extra money it wouldve taken to sign this guy when we realized we would need more veteran pitching instead of 2 question marks Wright/Garland.

the batting avg against is pretty high......but still think we couldve used him. im thinking he isnt pitching well indoors.....

I'm thinking the Twins got pretty lucky, Rogers was available at the right price and at the right time. Tell me that TEXAS couldn't use some pitching? I'm just glad Reinsy puts a premium on offense and skimps on pitching. Good strategy buddy.

I tell ya, I've watched Rogers pitch a couple of games, and the guy is a gamer. The guy goes out and takes INFIELD practice?!? He shags fly balls from the outfielders... Where did this guy come from? Why on earth did Texas let him go.

:)

hold2dibber
05-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
I'm thinking the Twins got pretty lucky, Rogers was available at the right price and at the right time. Tell me that TEXAS couldn't use some pitching? I'm just glad Reinsy puts a premium on offense and skimps on pitching. Good strategy buddy.

I tell ya, I've watched Rogers pitch a couple of games, and the guy is a gamer. The guy goes out and takes INFIELD practice?!? He shags fly balls from the outfielders... Where did this guy come from? Why on earth did Texas let him go.

:)

I believe Texas offered him 2 years at $5 mm per year, but he rejected it in favor of testing the FA market. Not so smart on Rogers' part (or Boras' part, whoever made that call).

hold2dibber
05-28-2003, 05:04 PM

I always suppose you can use more pitching, but the pitching hasn't been the problem. The Sox are 5th in the league in ERA. They are 13th in runs scored. End of story.

steff
05-28-2003, 05:23 PM
You've got to know when to hold 'em... know when to fold 'em.. know when to walk away...

whoops.. wrong Kenny Rogers, eh?

MarkEdward
05-28-2003, 05:40 PM
According to Baseball Prospectus, we have the ninth best starting rotation in baseball. I don't think starting pitching has been a problem this year.

Hangar18
05-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
According to Baseball Prospectus, we have the ninth best starting rotation in baseball. I don't think starting pitching has been a problem this year.

Hmmm, assuming only 4 teams go to the playoffs in each league, that means we would (Pitching-wise) just miss the playoffs.

hold2dibber
05-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I agree.

But this begs the question -- what realistically could the Sox have done last winter to make this team a contender? It seemed to me that the Colon deal coupled with the Daubach, Gordon, and White signings, added to my expectations for Crede, Jimenez and Garland had turned the team into one that would likely win close to 90 games. At this point, that appears quite unlikely. So what should KW have done differently? Realistically, who could have signed or traded for that would have been a difference maker for this offense?

MarkEdward
05-28-2003, 07:19 PM

Hmmm, assuming only 4 teams go to the playoffs in each league, that means we would (Pitching-wise) just miss the playoffs.

Well, we are fourth in the AL.

Originally posted by hold2dibber

I agree.
But this begs the question -- what realistically could the Sox have done last winter to make this team a contender? It seemed to me that the Colon deal coupled with the Daubach, Gordon, and White signings, added to my expectations for Crede, Jimenez and Garland had turned the team into one that would likely win close to 90 games. At this point, that appears quite unlikely. So what should KW have done differently? Realistically, who could have signed or traded for that would have been a difference maker for this offense?

Good question. We've had problems this year because players haven't lived up to expectations. Konerko, Crede, Daubach, Rios, and our center fielders all are hitting well below what we thought they would hit. That's our main problem.

What could Kenny have done differently? Most of my changes are outlined in the "For the love of God" thread. In short: don't sign White. don't re-sign PK, get Castro, get Millar, keep Borchard up for the whole year.

Tragg
05-28-2003, 07:58 PM

Another mediocre veteran is exactly what we DON'T need. This team lacks energy - kenny rogers' of the world dont' bring energy. Wright and Garland need to become veterans and both, actually, are pitching well these days.
Aquiring players like Rogers is exactly what the Sox have done WRONG since Kenny Williams took over.

steff
05-29-2003, 08:49 AM
Geezus people.. no one even commented on my joke?? WTH is going on around here? :?:

Is it that bad that we can't appreciate a little bad humor.. :o: :(:

maurice
06-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Yesterday he posted 1 1/3 INN, 10 H, 7 ER.

He now has a 5.20 ERA and a .315 BAA.

fhqwhgads
06-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Yesterday he posted 1 1/3 INN, 10 H, 7 ER.

He now has a 5.20 ERA and a .315 BAA.

Yeah, not one of K-Rog's best days, but to be fair, there was only one hard-hit ball in that 8-hit first inning (and it wasn't the triple). I have never in my life seen so many bloop hits strung together. When you're hot, you're hot, I guess.

GO TWINS!