PDA

View Full Version : Does Bill James belong in the Hall of Fame

Mediocrity
05-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Well...does he?

Yes or no and why/why not if you please.

kermittheefrog
05-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Mediocrity
Well...does he?

I'd say yes without question. He pioneered a new and more effective way to think about baseball.

Dadawg_77
05-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Not yet, if the Billy Beanes of the world take over, then his case become stronger since he was one of the founders of the sabermetrics movement. If he isn't enshrined, he should at least get mention in the Museum wing.

kermittheefrog
05-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Not yet, if the Billy Beanes of the world take over, then his case become stronger since he was one of the founders of the sabermetrics movement. If he isn't enshrined, he should at least get mention in the Museum wing.

Even if front offices don't mostly become sabermetric powerhouses I'd say James is a hall of famer. And this is coming from someone who strongly believes most if not all front offices will eventually go sabermetric. There are other baseball writers in the hall of fame but how many have actually had the kind of effect James has had on the way people think about baseball? Changing the way people think about the game makes you a hall of famer in my book.

booter14
05-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Bill James deserves as much HOF consideration as Bob James.

kermittheefrog
05-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by booter14
Bill James deserves as much HOF consideration as Bob James.

Not only is he witty but he can back up those sharp opinions! Why have you only graced us with five posts?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Sure, why not?

If there is room for skinflints like Charles Comiskey, and bigots like Judge Landis, and mediocrities like Phil Rizzuto, we can certainly make room for James. At least he made a positive impact on the game.

Just don't let Joe Jackson in!

Dadawg_77
05-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Even if front offices don't mostly become sabermetric powerhouses I'd say James is a hall of famer. And this is coming from someone who strongly believes most if not all front offices will eventually go sabermetric. There are other baseball writers in the hall of fame but how many have actually had the kind of effect James has had on the way people think about baseball? Changing the way people think about the game makes you a hall of famer in my book.

If all front offices become sabermetric then the influence James had on baseball would be up there with Judge Landis. Personally, I think baseball will level off in a median between both sides. Just becuase James brought new way of thinking to the fans of the game doesn't mean he changed nor greatly influenced the game, that should be the standard for non players into the Hall.

MisterB
05-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Mediocrity
Well...does he?

Depends...how many win shares does he have for his career?