PDA

View Full Version : Cell Renovation Article from Daily Herald

SaltyPretzel
05-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Cell Renovations (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intid=37769134)

A.T. Money
05-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Interesting.

Procol Harum
05-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Gussying up the Cell ain't gonna do anything to pull fans in until they gussy up the team on the stinkin' field.

A.T. Money
05-28-2003, 01:51 PM
They need to fix up the neighborhood too. Make it more of a hang out. I have defended the south side for years, but the drive on Pershing from Lake Shore Drive to the Dan Ryan Exp. is still pretty nasty.

thecell
05-28-2003, 02:14 PM
They can play in the middle of a garbage dump for all I care. As long as they put a winning team on the field, I'll be there.

Hangar18
05-28-2003, 02:18 PM
I like how a person from another City, comments critically (mind you, this is a Widespread Criticism, not like the upper deck argument, which is mostly media-fueled) on Reinsdorfs Urban-Planning skills, and the lack of a "neighborhood" in the area. In fact, EVERYTHING was bulldozed to make way for that park.

Hullett_Fan
05-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I like how a person from another City, comments critically (mind you, this is a Widespread Criticism, not like the upper deck argument, which is mostly media-fueled) on Reinsdorfs Urban-Planning skills, and the lack of a "neighborhood" in the area. In fact, EVERYTHING was bulldozed to make way for that park.

I know how you feel. And I really like tailgating in the lot drinking a few High Life's. They're cold, cheaper and I get 'em alot faster than if I was to go to a dive like Murphy's Bleachers pay $5.00 for a stale, warm beer after waiting in line with obnoxious Cub fans for 45 minutes! :D:

xil357
05-28-2003, 03:49 PM
... especially when they put them in right field. Home run porches are becoming passe. If they must do a home run porch, put it in left field, since the Sox have lots of right-handed pull hitters. No other major league stadium has a left field home run porch.

The only thing they really should do is paint the seats green. I like the rest of the recent improvements and I agree with the architect who said that the Cell isn't a retro ballpark and they shouldn't try to change it into something it isn't.

Here's a wild idea... since The Cell is a modern stadium, bring the exploding scoreboard into the 21st century by adding lasers to go along with the fireworks for Sox home runs. The lasers would serve another purpose as well -- they would be fired at idiots who run onto the field.

In lieu of a home run porch and to encourage more fans to come to games, use some of the naming rights money to build a Metra station at 35th Street along the Rock Island line. This would serve IIT as well, and would encourage suburban fans to come to the games. The CTA doesn't serve the suburbs. It does not make sense for a south/southwest suburban fan to take public transportation to a Sox game right now because they would first have to go downtown and then get on the L to 35th. And like it or not there is a perception among many suburbanites that the L is unsafe. While I disagree with that assessment, it is hard to change people's perceptions overnight.

I agree the upper deck fiasco is media-fueled, but like it or not people believe the hype and the fear of the upper deck incline has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Modifying the upper deck, however, might go a long way toward fixing this errant perception. First, the entrances from the upper level concourse to the upper deck seats should be moved several rows up so people coming out of the entrances don't see so many rows above them. Second, lop off the top five rows behind home plate the and dugouts and increase the number of rows removed as you go out toward the foul poles, resulting in an upper deck that looks more like Kaufman Field in Kansas City.

Make upper deck tickets $1 or have every Monday through Thursday game be half-price night.

SaltyPretzel
05-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I know how you feel. And I really like tailgating in the lot drinking a few High Life's. They're cold, cheaper and I get 'em alot faster than if I was to go to a dive like Murphy's Bleachers pay $5.00 for a stale, warm beer after waiting in line with obnoxious Cub fans for 45 minutes! :D:

As a die-hard Sox fan who goes to 15-20 games a year, I totally agree. However, common fans aren't going to go through the bother of planning a tailgate party before the game. They would rather go to a bar or a restaurant across the street.

I think this is a big reason for the large difference in ratio of male over female fans at the ballpark.

LuvSox
05-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by thecell
They can play in the middle of a garbage dump for all I care. As long as they put a winning team on the field, I'll be there.

They used to play on one.

Originally posted by xil357
.No other major league stadium has a left field home run porch.

Does Houston count?

Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
I think this is a big reason for the large difference in ratio of male over female fans at the ballpark.

On a side note, I'm tired of Cubbie "fans" saying there are no attractive women at the Cell. I challenge them to visit the Bullpen Bar sometime. If their not too afraid to go down there.

hsnterprize
05-29-2003, 07:37 AM
I've commented several times about how U.S. Cellular Field should be renovated. And as much as there is a valid point about the ballpark needing a change, this is just one of way many commentaries about the place. It's good to see the ISFA is still wanting to improve the place, but as another poster said, a nicer looking ballpark isn't going to bring in the fans if the team that plays on the field is stinking up the joint.

Home run porches are becoming passe. If they must do a home run porch, put it in left field, since the Sox have lots of right-handed pull hitters. No other major league stadium has a left field home run porch.

One of the things I've suggested is that H.R. porches be put in both right AND left field. There isn't anything outside the stadium for fans to look at, unlike the settings outside ballparks in Cleveland, Baltimore, and several minor league parks across the country.

In lieu of a home run porch and to encourage more fans to come to games, use some of the naming rights money to build a Metra station at 35th Street along the Rock Island line. This would serve IIT as well, and would encourage suburban fans to come to the games. The CTA doesn't serve the suburbs. It does not make sense for a south/southwest suburban fan to take public transportation to a Sox game right now because they would first have to go downtown and then get on the L to 35th. And like it or not there is a perception among many suburbanites that the L is unsafe. While I disagree with that assessment, it is hard to change people's perceptions overnight.

I thought there was some kind of action going on to put a Metra station across the expressway from the ballpark. I mentioned that there should not only be a Metra station across the Dan Ryan, but also on the tracks on the viaduct just west of the stadium. The tracks on the D.R. serve the southern suburbs, and the tracks west of the ballpark serve both the north and the south. Some renovations and such around the park can make the train trip to the Cell a little more appealing...at least to the eye.

I agree the upper deck fiasco is media-fueled, but like it or not people believe the hype and the fear of the upper deck incline has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Modifying the upper deck, however, might go a long way toward fixing this errant perception. First, the entrances from the upper level concourse to the upper deck seats should be moved several rows up so people coming out of the entrances don't see so many rows above them. Second, lop off the top five rows behind home plate the and dugouts and increase the number of rows removed as you go out toward the foul poles, resulting in an upper deck that looks more like Kaufman Field in Kansas City.

Make upper deck tickets $1 or have every Monday through Thursday game be half-price night.

Whether the "upper-deck fiasco" is media driven or not, there's one undisputable fact...it does need to be changed. There were complaints about the upper deck fro the very first day the stadium opened in 1991. Now, of course if the ballpark were designed and built better, the complaints probably would be as loud. Remember, places like Oriole Park in Baltimore and Jacobs Field in Cleveland have high and steep upper decks like the Cell, but the parks are built below ground, so they don't look as imposing. Also, the U.D.'s in places like that allow fans to look at things like a city's skyline, while our place gave us a great view of some projects that are thankfully no longer standing. However, there have been several occasions when the U.D. was full when the prices were right. I went to a "Turn Back the Clock" game back in 1996, and all upper deck tickets were 1.50, in honor of the 1959 prices. As bad as that team was that season, there were over 44,000 people there. Clearly, it was the largest crowd of the season. Unfortunately, manager Terry Bevington said after the game that if crowds like that were around every game, the team would play better. I guess he didn't understand that if his team was playing better, more people would show up. Not to mention, if the ticket prices were actually LOWERED, I'm very confident the attendance would increase dramatically. Whether you believe the "attendance stories" we constantly heard in the news were contrived by a Cub-owning Tribune of not, it doesn't make any sense for less than 20,000 fans to show up for a game when the team is in 1st place...let alone in last. Look at the attendance figures in 2000, for example. When the Sox had the best record in baseball, crwods of less than 20,000 went to the ballpark while the other team in town...which lost nearly 100 games that season, nearly drew 3,000,000 people. No matter who reports that, it's undisputable fact. Of course, when the team doesn't play well, we Sox fans won't put up with it, and we'll show that displeasure by not showing up. That happens everywhere, but it gets special attention here in Chicago because of what happens at Wrigley Field day after day. And in this day and age of modern, retro-looking stadiums vs. old time ballparks, people are appreciating more places like Wrigley and such...it's only a matter of time when Wrigley meets Mr. Wrecking Ball. Look at all the hoopla surrounding renovating Wrigley these past few months. We Sox fans welcome our ballpark's renovation, but people who live around Wrigley Field practically loathe it. Why? I don't know.

I understand one of the reasons why fans don't come to the ballpark is because of the high prices of going (i.e., parking tickets, etc.) Personally, lowering the ticket and parking prices will do wonders for attendance. Of course, renovating the ballpark and marketing the stadium/area will help draw people. We can talk all day about how the Sox can improve themselves as far as P.R., attendance, and ballpark issues are concerned. But, let's get one bottom line point clear...it doesn't matter what exterior changes the Sox make. If the team doesn't make changes to improve the quality of play on the field, all the renovations, transporation improvements, and other cosmetic changes won't mean squat. It just means people can't use the excuse, "I don't like the ballpark" to explain why they're not going to Sox games.