PDA

View Full Version : Question about the NL

MRKARNO
05-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Is an NL pitcher required to hit 9th or is it just that way because no pitchers can hit?

Daver
05-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Is an NL pitcher required to hit 9th

No.

WinningUgly!
05-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Is an NL pitcher required to hit 9th or is it just that way because no pitchers can hit?

Tony LaRussa has been known to bat his pitchers in the 8th spot over the past few seasons.

Viva Magglio
05-27-2003, 09:42 PM
And, of course, the pitcher bats in another spot in the order when the manager makes a double switch.

ewokpelts
05-30-2003, 11:33 AM
A manager can have his pitcher bat leadoff, if he so desires. It's just common practice to put the pitcher in the least powerful slot in the lineup. When I was playing MLB Showdown, I used to juggle my pitcher around with whatever player was hitting the worst(or the card whose stats weren't that hot).
Gene

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Back in the 60's before the A.L. had the DH, Sox manager Al Lopez often batted pitcher Gary Peters as high as #7. On days he didn't start, Peters was routinely used as a pinch hitter, too.

It's testament to how good a hitter Peters was--and how lousy the Sox offense was, too.

:jerry
"For crazy stunts, nothing beats my 'Dream Lineup'. Imagine Josh Paul in LF, Brian Daubach batting #3, and Royce Clayton and Julio Ramirez batting #8 and #9!"

A.T. Money
05-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Back in the 60's before the A.L. had the DH, Sox manager Al Lopez often batted pitcher Gary Peters as high as #7. On days he didn't start, Peters was routinely used as a pinch hitter, too.

It's testament to how good a hitter Peters was--and how lousy the Sox offense was, too.

:jerry
"For crazy stunts, nothing beats my 'Dream Lineup'. Imagine Josh Paul in LF, Brian Daubach batting #3, and Royce Clayton and Julio Ramirez batting #8 and #9!"

Does anyone remember Jerry Manuel bringing Todd Richie in to bunt via pinch hit? Goes to show you how inept our offense can be at doing the "little things".

Dadawg_77
05-30-2003, 12:31 PM
The sad thing is if the Sox use Konerko or BD at DH we might get the same production form having the pitcher bat.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The sad thing is if the Sox use Konerko or BD at DH we might get the same production form having the pitcher bat.

A show of hands for Gary Peters as Sox DH?

:)

MarkEdward
05-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Sad fact: Peters' career OPS is higher than Konerko's 2003 OPS.

fquaye149
05-30-2003, 05:11 PM
here's a trickier question:

in the a.l. can a manager dh for a position player? like if the twins picked up hampton and didn't want mientkiewicz in there taking balls in the thigh and then rubbing it, could they dh for the 1bman

Paulwny
05-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
here's a trickier question:

in the a.l. can a manager dh for a position player? like if the twins picked up hampton and didn't want mientkiewicz in there taking balls in the thigh and then rubbing it, could they dh for the 1bman

No, has to dh for the pitcher

Lip Man 1
05-31-2003, 12:10 AM
George:

With respect, the manager was Eddie Stanky and he hit Peters 6th ahead of Aparicio, Martin and Tim Cullen in a game.

He also had Peters pinch hit regularly according to the interview Gary did with WSI.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
05-31-2003, 12:37 AM
Not only was he a pretty good hitter, but he was a lefthanded bat off the bench. A career slugging % of .348 isn't bad for a pitcher! In 807 career at bats, he had 19 homers and 102 RBI.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Not only was he a pretty good hitter, but he was a lefthanded bat off the bench. A career slugging % of .348 isn't bad for a pitcher! In 807 career at bats, he had 19 homers and 102 RBI.

Well ****! We really ought to sign Peters for DH!

:gulp:

Jjav829
05-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Mark Prior should bat 3rd for the Flubs on days he pitches.

Brian26
05-31-2003, 01:44 PM
Just another piece of trivia in regards to interesting batting orders...

I was reading about Bill Melton at his run at the AL HR title in '71. Going into the last day of the season, Melton was tied for the lead. For the last game, Chuck Tanner penciled Melton in the leadoff spot to guarantee he'd get the maximum possible amount of at-bats.

fquaye149
06-01-2003, 01:11 AM
should hit 1st through 9th with ghost runners. only way they have a shot at the playoffs

T Dog
06-01-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Just another piece of trivia in regards to interesting batting orders...

I was reading about Bill Melton at his run at the AL HR title in '71. Going into the last day of the season, Melton was tied for the lead. For the last game, Chuck Tanner penciled Melton in the leadoff spot to guarantee he'd get the maximum possible amount of at-bats.

Bill Melton was two homers shy of Reggie Jackson and Norm Cash and had two games left to play in 1971. Chuck Tanner put him in the leadoff spot in the second-to-last game to maximize his remaining at bats. Melton responded with two home runs, tying for the league lead. With Jackson and Cash done, Melton led off the Sox afternoon finale. When I came home from school, I saw the replay of his last home run. He went to his position when the Sox went back on defense, but Tanner sent Walt "No Neck" Williams to take his place so Melton could get another standing ovation. (Josh Paul hadn't been born yet and consequently was unavailable.)

In the last year of County Stadium, I saw a couple of Cardinals games where Mark McGwire led off, ostensibly as the second baseman. He couldn't play any defense. If he reached base, the real second baseman, who would go into the field for the bottom of the first, would take his place on base.