PDA

View Full Version : To Live and Die in L.A.

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Ok. A friend asked me to come out and visit in the Spring, and when I noticed the Sox playing the Dodgers next week, I decided to delay my trip til then. Well, seeing how awful this team is on the Road, I pose this question. Should I take this trip to see these Bozo's ???

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 05:56 PM
By the way, this POLL will close day after tomorrow as I'll have to committ to the Flight to LAX, so your VOTES count. Could be the difference between Me Going or Staying. Feel free to add a comment on why you voted....

A.T. Money
05-27-2003, 06:13 PM
I voted yes because I was at Dodger Stadium May 17th to see the Dodgers beat the Marlins. Dodger Stadium is such a cool ballpark IMO. Kinda cool how they built it into the side of a hill. I have some pictures from the game, I should post them. If you saw my pics of the cell, and liked them...then you'll like my Dodger Stadium pics too.

I spoke to a local at the game who sat next me, and they told me they'd be at two of the Sox/Dodger games. LA is a cool place and Dodger Stadium is a cool place to see a game. Their games don't really have the atmosphere and excitement Sox games have, but it's still cool to get another perspective. The fans out west are nothing like Chicago fans.

LuvSox
05-27-2003, 07:19 PM
By all means, go. I would. If nothing else, you can give us the scoop on the place and the people. Wish I was going to see them in AZ.

Hullett_Fan
05-27-2003, 07:23 PM
It's LA man!!! Great ballpark, Dodger dogs and women!

Plus you get to see a good baseball team play (BTW, I'm not talking about the Sox LOL)

HAVE FUN!!!

:)

Foulke You
05-27-2003, 07:28 PM
I'd say yes Hangar. Anytime you can see our Sox on the road in a ballpark you've never been to before you should do it. You never know, maybe you'll luck out and Colon and Loaiza will pitch in the games you go to and we can squeak out a couple of 1-0 wins. :D:

Think how I feel! I'm going to all three games at Fenway in September. I thought we'd be duking it out with the Twins in September for a division title when we'll probably be long buried and the Charlotte Knights will be there wearing White Sox jerseys to play the Red Sox. :D: But that's ok, because I'll be on the road cheering them on in enemy territory regardless. Sox Army for life I guess. :gulp:

Chisox_cali
05-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Hell Yes you should go! I'll be there on Friday, and Saturday. Though the Dodgers picked the wrong time to get hot, I'm afraid there might be a repeat performence of that 19-0 game against the Angels last year :whiner:

CLR01
05-27-2003, 08:36 PM
I said yes just to get you away from the computer for a few days. I think we could all use a break from you. :smile:

uksoxfan
05-28-2003, 02:29 AM
H. you've got to go & take your punishment like a man!.. :o:

Actually I've got tickets for a Sox game in Anaheim when we're over on our holiday...........I've not told my family how bad we are this year so they don't know what awaits them :(:

Seriously though, I've been to Dodger Stadium ( also going there to see them play the cubs in august) & I thought it was a great place to watch a game.

Don't suppose I'll get the ideal double up.......Sox win, Dodgers win, on my visit, but hope springs eternal as the saying goes :smile:

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by uksoxfan
Don't suppose I'll get the ideal double up.......Sox win, Dodgers win, on my visit, but hope springs eternal as the saying goes :smile: Now, you probably don't know this, but the only World Series appearance by the White Sox in any of our lifetimes resulted in a loss to the Dodgers. I don't think you'll find a lot of Dodger fans here (unless they're playing the Cubs, of course.)

Hangar18
05-28-2003, 02:52 PM
alrite folks. The Polls will be closing at 4pm Central Time 5/28/03
If you havnt voted, nows your chance. "results" will be announced after 4pm.....Stay Tuned.

thecell
05-28-2003, 03:18 PM
it looks like a landslide

uksoxfan
05-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Now, you probably don't know this, but the only World Series appearance by the White Sox in any of our lifetimes resulted in a loss to the Dodgers. I don't think you'll find a lot of Dodger fans here (unless they're playing the Cubs, of course.)

Do you know, I never gave '59 a thought when I posted. I can see your point though.

But as the Dodgers ARE playing the cubbies, I guess it'll be o.k. to root for them when I'm there. I guess the way things are at the moment I've more chance of seeing a Dodgers win than a Sox win @ Anaheim :(:

Dadawg_77
05-28-2003, 04:02 PM
I though you were talking about a 2Pac song but go and see your friend.

Hangar18
05-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I though you were talking about a 2Pac song but go and see your friend.

It was a Movie actually in the 80's. UKSox fan, you are Expected to root for the DODGERS if you see them vs. the Cubs.

LuvSox
05-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
It was a Movie actually in the 80's.

Theme song by Wang Chung. Or as Johnny B. would say, "Wang my Chung."

Hangar18
05-28-2003, 05:59 PM
The votes are in.....and in a Landslide (No Pun Intended) looks like WSI members are sending me to LA. thanks for the help in making up my mind

FarmerAndy
05-28-2003, 06:13 PM
I'll be at the Sox/Dodger game in L.A. on Sat. 6/7.

Any other WSI folks gonna be out in L.A. ?

LauraJ14
05-28-2003, 06:30 PM
My sister and I will be there on Saturday and Sunday to see the Sox and the Dodgers. We were going to go to Arizona before but not enough money to do both.

FarmerAndy
05-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
My sister and I will be there on Saturday and Sunday to see the Sox and the Dodgers. We were going to go to Arizona before but not enough money to do both.

We're going to Arizona for the Wed. game and then to San Diego on Friday so we can root for the Padres to beat the Twins. (We're flying into Phoenix and out of L.A., with a rental car in between.)

Do you (or anybody) know if L.A. has a parking lot that you can tailgate in, or is it like the urinal, with no parking lot?

It would be cool if we could get all the Sox fans that are going to be there together for a tailgate party before the game.

Chisox_cali
05-29-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I'll be at the Sox/Dodger game in L.A. on Sat. 6/7.

Any other WSI folks gonna be out in L.A. ?

Yep, tickets for that one are on the field level first base side, sect 50

Hangar18
05-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Go ahead and start messaging me with a way for me to reach you once your out on the West Coast. Things are looking Very Very Favorable for a BBQ come Saturday. im going to be at Fridays and Saturdays game. Couple of fellow fans out there have expressed interest in bringing Supplies.....we'll go from there. Message me and we'll get this going.....

FarmerAndy
05-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Yep, tickets for that one are on the field level first base side, sect 50

We won't be far from you, we're in sect. 46.

Hangar18
05-29-2003, 05:29 PM
For whatever reason...the Dodgers DONT allow Tailgating in their parking lots. No Food Eating, Beer Drinking allowed. Beer there costs $8 Bucks !!!!!!!!!! My god! They recommended that Sox Fans meet at the Bonaventure Hotel, which has the Grand Avenue Sports Bar there, a supposed meeting place for Dodger Fans. It is Downtown LA (the four mirrored towers you always see in LA movies) There are no bars in the area, just parking lots (sounds familiar doesnt it?). Think that is our meeting place....

FarmerAndy
05-29-2003, 06:07 PM
That totally sucks! I was looking forward to a huge SOX camp parked in the middle of the Dodger parking lot, showing those L.A. folks how it's done.

A.T. Money
05-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
We're going to Arizona for the Wed. game and then to San Diego on Friday so we can root for the Padres to beat the Twins. (We're flying into Phoenix and out of L.A., with a rental car in between.)

Do you (or anybody) know if L.A. has a parking lot that you can tailgate in, or is it like the urinal, with no parking lot?

It would be cool if we could get all the Sox fans that are going to be there together for a tailgate party before the game.

The parking lot is huge man. The attendants don't line you up to park either. You pay to get into the lot like going to Great America, and then you drive around the stadium to the outfield where the big lot is.

People don't tailgate in LA man.......

A.T. Money
05-29-2003, 06:20 PM
There are no bars in the area, just parking lots (sounds familiar doesnt it?). Think that is our meeting place....

Nah, it's not like Comiskey.

When I went to Dodger Stadium earlier in the month, I drove in from Sunset Blvd, turned onto Stadium Way which went right up a small hill and BOOM a big sign that goes over the street like a viaduct saying "Welcome to Dodger Stadium". Then you keep going until you hit the parking lot entrance where you pay like you're going to Great America. Then you drive down the hill in the valley and the parking lot is in right, left and center field. There is even a gas station in the parking lot.

Hangar18
05-31-2003, 08:50 PM
OK ...Great News. It is 98% sure, but Im about to get the bar in the Biltmore Hotel (Grand ave/6th st downtown LA) called the Grand Ave Sports Bar, to OPEN EARLY, so us SOX FANS can hang out and have a couple of cold ones (and Im not talking about my ex either) before the game and Meet up with other SOX FANS. One of the guys that works there is a former chicagoan/south sider and still a Big Sox Fan, so I twisted his arm!!!! Talk about small world. Nothing like our West Coast Brothers to help us out. Just have some Final Details to work out, but the Joint should be Ours for a while.
those of you who are Under Age, will still be able to come meet us, just wont be able to drink, only order Food. Sox Army Forward HQ will set up shop there. Final Deployment to be announced........

Hangar18
06-01-2003, 09:15 PM
For those who dont know....WE ARE IN. My powers of Persuasion have allowed us to OPEN THE BAR EARLY, Grand Ave Sports Bar in downtown LA (in the Biltmore Hotel) 10 mins from Dodger stadium, will OPEN EARLY JUST FOR US SOX FANS on FRIDAY June 6th. very nice of them to do this......There will be a South Side Contingent out west this weekend. COme one come all,
if your on the West Coast, and going to the Sox/Dodgers game....
look for us from 3pm to around 5:30 pm western time........

Hangar18
06-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Reminder. Sox Fans will be able to meet FRIDAY June 6th at 3pm at Grand Ave Sports Bar in the world famous Biltmore Hotel.
The bar normally doesnt open until the evening (californians are at the beach and working out in the day, not in bars like us) But are bringing people in to Serve ......WHITE SOX FANS. So if your wearing White Sox Clothing, your in heh heh.

Hangar18
06-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Reminder.......West Coast Headquarters for Sox Nation will be at the Grand Ave Bar, Biltmore Hotel, Downtown LA. Spread the word, 3p sharp........If your a Sox Fan heading to the gms this weekend, THIS is the place to meet fellow WSI and Soxnet fans.

FarmerAndy
06-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Reminder. Sox Fans will be able to meet FRIDAY June 6th at 3pm at Grand Ave Sports Bar in the world famous Biltmore Hotel.

I thought we were doing this on Saturday, June 7th. :?:

Hangar18
06-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Were doing it BOTH days Andrew..... ON a side note, I invited
Jack McDowell to show up for a beer, Im sure hes busy and wont show, but he knows where the Biltmore Hotel is for Friday.

FarmerAndy
06-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Were doing it BOTH days Andrew.....

Cool. We may make it on Friday too. We were thinking of going to the Padres game down in San Diego on Friday night, just so we could visit another ballpark. If we don't make it down there though, we'll definitely show up at the Biltmore for both days.

Hangar18
06-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Jack McDowell may not make our White Sox Happy Hour, hes in town Mixing his new CD this weekend. But I think he's going to be cool enough and give us some stuff to Raffle off maybe.

Hangar18
06-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Most of you may be coming off I-5 in Calif. Take that towards
I-10 (Santa Monica Freeway) and go WEST (or North, whichever way towards Downtown) Take I-10 SMFreeway towards
110 Harbor Freeway NORTH. That is the Main interstate
that goes toward Downtown LA/Dodger Stadium. Take 110 Harbor Freeway to the 6th Street Exit and go EAST. Go 3 blocks to Grand Ave and you'll see the BILTMORE HOTEL there. Grand Ave Bar is inside. Pretty easy, even though my 1st time.