PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas should be the leadoff hitter

Dadawg_77
05-27-2003, 11:58 AM
He has the most offense production out of any White Sox hitter. Has the highest OBP, VORP, 2nd highest EQA.

Here is the lineup I would throw out there if I have JM job, (It seems strange but nothing else is working)

___Name________POS__VORP__OBP____SLG____EQA
1. Frank Thomas___1b___15.7___.398___.475___.308
2. D. Jimenez______2b___9.0____.383___.466___.292
3. T. Graffaniono___DH___7.5____.284___.528___.312
4. Maggs_________RF___7.4____.341___.492___.287
5. C Lee_________LF____4.1____.319___.491___.277
6. M Olivo________C____1.1_____.299___.402___.245
7. J Borchard______CF___0.2____.267____.231___.179
8. J Valentin_______SS___5.2____.298____.466___.258
9. J Crede ________3b___-5.5____.252____.345___.206

While Crede hasn't produced much of anything, he should get playing time since that is the only way he can develop into a every day player. Same with Borchard.

MarkEdward
05-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
He has the most offense production out of any White Sox hitter. Has the highest OBP, VORP, 2nd highest EQA.

Interesting, but don't you think he should be hitting second? I think there have been studies showing the best way to maximize a lineup's production is to bat your best hitter second.

Dadawg_77
05-27-2003, 12:19 PM
The idea with Frank leading off has two effects, first is puts the Sox OBP in the first slot, secondly and maybe more importantly it sends a shock wave. No ever thinks about putting Frank at leadoff because of his size, and doing something totally out of the ordinary is something which might wake up this team.

daveb816
05-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Interesting, but I'd platoon Daubach & Konerko at 1b and platoon Valentin and Graffanino at SS. They can't completely stop playing Konerko, no matter how awful he's been. And Olivo should stay 9th and Valentin 6th. I do like Frank hitting leadoff or #2, though.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Wow! This is so crazy an idea, it just might work!!! :smile:

Since we all agree our hitters are vastly better than their actual performance the first 8 weeks indicates, I think it is definitely time to put together a lineup that matches what they're actually producing. Certainly it can't get any worse than using a lineup that follows the conventional wisdom. After all, following the conventional wisdom is how we ended up in the predicament we're in right now, yes?

Eight weeks of lousy hitting is no fluke--I say we make radical changes and go for it! I kinda like Graffanino as DH. His lousy glove can't hurt us there. Valentin definitely needs to move down in the order, and Olivo has earned the opportunity to move up, too. The Sox play station-to-station baseball anyway, so why not a lummox like Thomas leading off? Manuel never starts the runners regardless who is on base. :D:

Personally, I doubt Graffy could bat #3 for very long. The pitchers will catch up to him soon enough. However, 1-2 weeks is all we might need to jump start our offense. By then Konerko might finally be worthy of everyday play again.

I dunno. It's a screwy idea, but I like it. :cool:

AngelLeroy
05-27-2003, 02:15 PM
I like crazy ideas. And I like this one. It would probably work. I'd change a few things though:

1. Jimenez 2b
2. Thomas DH
3. Lee LF
4. Maggs RF
5. Daubach/Konerko 1B
6. Valentin/Graff SS
7. Crede 3B
8. Borchard CF
9. Olivo C

Jimenez is doing just fine at leadoff. Thomas draws a lot of walks, and I think it would really benefit him if he concentrated on just putting the ball in play. Maybe he'd correct that pop-up swing. Lee hits well at #3, and hes a ~.290 lifetime RISP hitter i think. I wouldn't mess with Maggs. I'd platoon Daubach and Konerko at first, with Daubach against righties, Konerko against lefties (Paul's hitting like .350 off lefties or something). Valentin takes righties, Graff takes lefties at short. Crede stays in the #7 spot because I like the bit of speed that Borchard and Olivo have at the bottom.

I'd also have the whole team start practicing hitting behind runners and bunting down the 3rd base line at US Cellular. I completely agree that right now this team isn't doing what it's built for, and instead of waiting for it to happen, and floundering around .500, the Sox need to try some new things to get some consistent offense.

Iguana775
05-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by AngelLeroy
I like crazy ideas. And I like this one. It would probably work. I'd change a few things though:

1. Jimenez 2b
2. Thomas DH
3. Lee LF
4. Maggs RF
5. Daubach/Konerko 1B
6. Valentin/Graff SS
7. Crede 3B
8. Borchard CF
9. Olivo C

Jimenez is doing just fine at leadoff. Thomas draws a lot of walks, and I think it would really benefit him if he concentrated on just putting the ball in play. Maybe he'd correct that pop-up swing. Lee hits well at #3, and hes a ~.290 lifetime RISP hitter i think. I wouldn't mess with Maggs. I'd platoon Daubach and Konerko at first, with Daubach against righties, Konerko against lefties (Paul's hitting like .350 off lefties or something). Valentin takes righties, Graff takes lefties at short. Crede stays in the #7 spot because I like the bit of speed that Borchard and Olivo have at the bottom.

I'd also have the whole team start practicing hitting behind runners and bunting down the 3rd base line at US Cellular. I completely agree that right now this team isn't doing what it's built for, and instead of waiting for it to happen, and floundering around .500, the Sox need to try some new things to get some consistent offense.

i like that. something needs to be done to spark the offense.

duke of dorwood
05-27-2003, 02:23 PM
If all the manager cares about is the occasional first inning HR by Thomas, the move is justified. I think it would improve the whole line up. Lead off men have hit 20 plus HR many times. That seems to be his limit right now.

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Here is the lineup I would throw out there if I have JM job, (It seems strange but nothing else is working)

___Name________POS__VORP__OBP____SLG____EQA
1. Frank Thomas___1b___15.7___.398___.475___.308
2. D. Jimenez______2b___9.0____.383___.466___.292
3. T. Graffaniono___DH___7.5____.284___.528___.312
4. Maggs_________RF___7.4____.341___.492___.287
5. C Lee_________LF____4.1____.319___.491___.277
6. M Olivo________C____1.1_____.299___.402___.245
7. J Borchard______CF___0.2____.267____.231___.179
8. J Valentin_______SS___5.2____.298____.466___.258
9. J Crede ________3b___-5.5____.252____.345___.206

While Crede hasn't produced much of anything, he should get playing time since that is the only way he can develop into a every day player. Same with Borchard.

I like the Thinking here. key word being THINKING. At the least, Thomas should be batting second. no farther.