PDA

View Full Version : Surly Sox Fans .....

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Has anyone noticed out at the ballgames (as well as here at wsi)
that our mood the last few weeks has noticably changed for the worse? I know, its to be expected, we were expecting Much Much more from this team. I was at the ballgame Sat Nite, and there was a gentleman behind me who I got into a semi-disagreeement with most of the game (about sitting vs. standing during rallies) I was mad at the guy, but I noted to myself afterwards, he may have been right and I shouldnt have been so hard on him, but I did note that HAD WE BEEEN WINNING, he and I wouldnt have been having that discussion. I could tell a lot of people in the park lately have been in foul moods.....Myself Included. I havnt been this disappointed in these clowns since 1984

Jerko
05-27-2003, 09:30 AM
I almost got into a brawl at the game Saturday myself! I NEVER get like that, but after losing 1-0 to the Tigers I wasn't my usual cheery self. I am actually proud of the fact that I did not deck the person I was in disagreement with. I wanted to, but then I thought of the 4 idiots that ran onto the field that one Tuesday night which seems oh so long ago and said to myself, "you know, if you sock this guy, you're as bad as those other morons". Plus I also saw my season tickets and stadium club membership flying out the window too had I struck the first blow. I pride myself in being able to go to the games, have a few cold ones, (sometimes more than a few) and still act civilized. It was over something stupid as well that never would have even bothered me if the team wasn't so pathetic and being force fed down our throats. See how bad it's getting?; we as Sox fans are turning on each other! There's not that many of us left, we have to at least be civil to each other.

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I almost got into a brawl at the game Saturday myself! I NEVER get like that, but after losing 1-0 to the Tigers I wasn't my usual cheery self. I am actually proud of the fact that I did not deck the person I was in disagreement with. I wanted to, but then I thought of the 4 idiots that ran onto the field that one Tuesday night which seems oh so long ago and said to myself, "you know, if you sock this guy, you're as bad as those other morons". Plus I also saw my season tickets and stadium club membership flying out the window too had I struck the first blow. I pride myself in being able to go to the games, have a few cold ones, (sometimes more than a few) and still act civilized. It was over something stupid as well that never would have even bothered me if the team wasn't so pathetic and being force fed down our throats. See how bad it's getting?; we as Sox fans are turning on each other! There's not that many of us left, we have to at least be civil to each other.

Man, isnt this crazy? I was pretty mad at this guy also, but YES, Sox Fans shouldnt get into fights over dumb things, Much LESS WITH EACH OTHER. WE NEED EACH OTHER in these tough times.
Like I said, I thought about it after I left and realized, everyone is just in a Bad Mood because of this team. Way to go Jerko, I salute you.

LauraJ14
05-27-2003, 12:35 PM
The guy sitiing next to me Saturday night was one of the most pessismistic fans that I have run across at Sox games. Everytime a Sox player was up, He would say stuff like " oh he's going to strike out" or "he's going to hit into a double play" . When he called Thomas's strike out, he was so proud of himself that he was right. He kept saying, I told you that JM shouldn't have brought him in, I told you he was going to strike out. I wanted to smack him so bad. I know that there hasn't been a lot to be positive about, but I don't need to hear it all game long!!
He took more satisfaction in the Sox players failing than in them doing anything good and that really bothered me. I don't consider that a fan.

fhqwhgads
05-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Everytime a Sox player was up, He would say stuff like " oh he's going to strike out" or "he's going to hit into a double play"...I don't consider that a fan.

Sounds like your average frustrated fan. I felt that way in April about the Twinkies. Every time Rivas/Hocking was up, I'd call the strikeout/double play.

Well, I still do that when Hocking comes up... :D:

GO TWINS!

Sad
05-27-2003, 02:32 PM
sounds to me like a fan that watched alot of '03 SOX ballgames...

sometimes a pessimist is a realist... that guy might have been me now that I think about it... I know I was barking about all the pop-ups... not every batter though- sometimes I just dropped my head in disgust (then boosted my morale by visiting the Steak Pita stand :D: )

not really "going out on a limb" calling Thomas' strikeout... I did

that was a pathetic display of major league hitting

TornLabrum
05-27-2003, 06:07 PM
The guy sitiing next to me Saturday night was one of the most pessismistic fans that I have run across at Sox games. Everytime a Sox player was up, He would say stuff like " oh he's going to strike out" or "he's going to hit into a double play" . When he called Thomas's strike out, he was so proud of himself that he was right. He kept saying, I told you that JM shouldn't have brought him in, I told you he was going to strike out. I wanted to smack him so bad. I know that there hasn't been a lot to be positive about, but I don't need to hear it all game long!!
He took more satisfaction in the Sox players failing than in them doing anything good and that really bothered me. I don't consider that a fan.

Laura, try putting yourself in the shoes of fans who have lived their entire lifetimes without seeing their team in the World Series. I'm lucky. I got to see the Sox lose in 6 games to the Dodger in 1959, when I was NINE YEARS OLD!

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2003, 11:29 PM
The guy sitiing next to me Saturday night was one of the most pessismistic fans that I have run across at Sox games......He took more satisfaction in the Sox players failing than in them doing anything good and that really bothered me. Were you sitting next to Lip?

Unregistered
05-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Were you sitting next to Lip? Took the words right out of my mouth, Nellie... :D:

39thandWallace
05-28-2003, 02:33 AM
I have gotten pissed at some people around our (27 game) season ticket seats. But, for the most part it has been nice to see the same people and it's starting to feel like the bond you get at a Bear's or Hawk's game.

Jerko
05-30-2003, 10:41 AM
We better quit being so surly; they're going to raise the penalty for violence in the stands as well as on the field. Plus I don't feel like having "beer police" up my but counting my cups every game either.