PDA

View Full Version : Impression of Borchard so far?

chisox06
05-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Seems like he has some decent speed at center fielder but I havent been able to get a gauge on his arm just yet. As far as hitting is concerned it seems Joe cant hit a major league changeup and he consistantly swings at pitches well out of the zone outside, hence a lot of strikeout. I give him two more weeks and if he cant perform send him back down for a proven center fielder. JD Drew for Garland and a prospect perhaps?

whitesoxwilkes
05-27-2003, 07:43 AM
He has looked a lot better the past 3 days than he did the first time he was up. Stil swings at a lot of away stuff but he even took a walk Sunday which was great to see.

SoxxoS
05-27-2003, 09:09 AM
His stance left handed is a lot more open than when he hits righty. He looks clueless righty.
Plays a decent centerfield, though.

LuvSox
05-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
I give him two more weeks and if he cant perform send him back down for a proven center fielder. JD Drew for Garland and a prospect perhaps?

There's no way this team is going to trade "up" for anybody. When the deadline gets near the Sox will unload all kinds of salary for prospects.

boog_alou
05-27-2003, 09:31 AM
I don't think Borchard has looked very good in the field. He has decent speed, but he's not getting great reads and jumps on fly balls. He didn't look like a real major league centerfielder when (on Friday?) he dove for that ball on the warning track, missed it, the ball hit the ground, bounced up and came down on his head. He looks a lot like a corner outfielder playing CF.

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 09:31 AM
He sure looks imposing out there, wearing that black sox uniform.
He Looked awful trying to pull a ball that was outside and ended up grounding out weakly to short. On another sequence, Swung at a Pitch that was HIGH and OUT of the Zone for the K (note to Joltin' Joe....STOP trying to pull the ball. Use your POWER to go the other way with the pitch. Do that, and you will be Dangerous)

maurice
05-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Offense: Nice, fluid swing from both sides and SERIOUS power potential. Not as fast as advertised. He has a decent eye but needs to start making a heck of a lot more contact. I don't mind Ks, but he needs to start putting more balls into play hard (master of the obvious).

Defense: He's gotten some bad jumps and doesn't always get himself in good position to make a quick throw (though he does have an absolute GUN). He'll need to make some strides to stay in CF. He should be AT LEAST a very good RF.

Iguana775
05-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Offense: Nice, fluid swing from both sides and SERIOUS power potential. Not as fast as advertised. He has a decent eye but needs to start making a heck of a lot more contact. I don't mind Ks, but he needs to start putting more balls into play hard (master of the obvious).

Defense: He's gotten some bad jumps and doesn't always get himself in good position to make a quick throw (though he does have an absolute GUN). He'll need to make some strides to stay in CF. He should be AT LEAST a very good RF.

to me, he kind of looked unconfortable batting right. i didnt get to see left so i cant make an observation. hopefully he is just having jitters.

duke of dorwood
05-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Let him play-he'll get better every day against competition he will eventually be facing every day. Let him learn hitters, parks and pitchers-NOW. He's a real athlete.

Iguana775
05-27-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Let him play-he'll get better every day against competition he will eventually be facing every day. Let him learn hitters, parks and pitchers-NOW. He's a real athlete.

I think right now, they just need to play they young guys like JB and Harris when healthy to see if they can actually play. the season is gone as far as i am concerned....unless a major coaching change happens.

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 01:36 PM
I agree. Just Let the Borchard play now. Once we didnt fire Manuel a month ago, letting any chance of the season slip away, the season was over. Now......Do we do the Noble and Brave thing and Reload? or do we take the Cheap, Easy and Cowardly way out and Rebuild?

Dadawg_77
05-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Reading Prospectus Triple Play today, they said Borchard stance is pretty much up right. (I haven't notice nor really looked at it) but since he is 6'5'' an upright stance forces Joe to have a bigger plate coverage area thus his high totals in strike outs.

MHOUSE
05-27-2003, 03:01 PM
He'll improve everyday and his fielding is pretty good. 100x better than Harris and better than Rios and as good defensively if not better than Aaron. His bat will come around and seems better all ready than last year. I think he'll be all right. I liked this linbeup a caller had on the postgame show:

Jimenez
Olivo
Maggs
Lee
Valentin
Thomas
Konerko/Daubach
Crede
Borchard

Randar68
05-27-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Reading Prospectus Triple Play today, they said Borchard stance is pretty much up right. (I haven't notice nor really looked at it) but since he is 6'5'' an upright stance forces Joe to have a bigger plate coverage area thus his high totals in strike outs.

Ummm, hasn't hurt the Big Hurt.

Dadawg_77
05-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Ummm, hasn't hurt the Big Hurt.

Yeah but is it fair to anyone to compare them to a young Frank Thomas? The point was he could be help was shortening up and making his strike zone smaller.

Randar68
05-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Yeah but is it fair to anyone to compare them to a young Frank Thomas? The point was he could be help was shortening up and making his strike zone smaller.

That is a big change to ask a young hitter to make. That changes your balance, center of gravity and how you see the ball. That is not something you would ask someone to change before they get settled in at the MLB level. It might be something to work on in AAA, though.