PDA

View Full Version : Which Sox announcers do you listen to?

Viva Magglio
05-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Do you like Hawk & D.J. or Rooney & Farmer?

LuvSox
05-26-2003, 08:59 PM
It's The AM radio guys, no doubt about it.

kermittheefrog
05-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Hawk & DJ fill me with anger.

MRKARNO
05-26-2003, 09:10 PM
I misread the question, change my vote to rooney and Farmer. I listen to Hawk and DJ mostly, but I like Rooney and Farmer better

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 12:30 PM
I listen to Bob Uecker and pretend hes a White Sox Announcer
Rooney is very good. Hawk I like, but he needs someone else with a lot of personality with him to make him appear not so monotone.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-27-2003, 12:37 PM
When I give a damned about the game's outcome, I always listen to Rooney & Farmer. I get 100-times more out of listening to their call of the game.

However lately I haven't bothered to turn down the TV audio. I just listen to the silence of Hawk & DJ as our batters flail about, blowing one ballgame after another.

The Sox aren't putting out a major league product, so I don't feel I should I bother putting out major league effort to drain every detail available from the games they are playing. Sad, but true.

kbriley
05-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Since I live in Colorado I listen to Farmer and Rooney over the internet. Farmer bugs the hell out of me. He knows alot about baseball, but he is so pompous and self righteous sometimes it makes me sick. Last year during a broadcast he actually went down to the scorers table and berated the scorekeeper about recording a play as a hit when he thought it was an error...then he came back to the booth like he was John Wayne and had to talk about it for the next three weeks.

Daver
05-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by kbriley
Since I live in Colorado I listen to Farmer and Rooney over the internet. Farmer bugs the hell out of me. He knows alot about baseball, but he is so pompous and self righteous sometimes it makes me sick. Last year during a broadcast he actually went down to the scorers table and berated the scorekeeper about recording a play as a hit when he thought it was an error...then he came back to the booth like he was John Wayne and had to talk about it for the next three weeks.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

FarmerAndy
05-27-2003, 03:46 PM
I have to go with the radio broadcast. Rooney is one of the best in the business. So good, in fact, that I almost forget what a tool Ed Farmer is.

I would rather listen to Rooney with a broken antenna and bad reception than listen to Hawk spout off all of his tired cliches. Besides, nothing compares to taking in a ballgame on the radio.

I hope John Rooney stays healthy and in Chicago for many years, he truly improves the quality of the experience I have when I take in a game. I also enjoy Dave Will's pre/post game shows. Other than that, I'd fire the rest of our broadcasters.

sox_fan_forever
05-27-2003, 04:01 PM
I've been doing pretty much the same thing PHG has been doing. It just hasn't been worth the effort. I turn on the game, I see they're losing, and I really don't pay much attention after that. A year ago I would have, but I have better things to do with my time then to watch them blow one game after another.

As for my vote, I definitely prefer Rooney and Farmer.

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 04:22 PM

Farmy did that? thats kind of cool actually. What Hawk should do, instead of visiting the concession stands during the telecast (which explains the long silences) he should visit the Umpires on the Field and chew them out for some of these terrible calls theyve been making. He needs more to say

Irishlawyer
05-27-2003, 05:53 PM
when I want smoke blown up my ass, I listen to Hawk & DJ

Brian26
05-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Last year during a broadcast he actually went down to the scorers table and berated the scorekeeper about recording a play as a hit when he thought it was an error...then he came back to the booth like he was John Wayne and had to talk about it for the next three weeks.

Hahaha. I remember that game! And, just like Hangar said, that's fantastic. How can you not like that? Farmer gives a damn about the team. That's classic. I love it.

kbriley
05-28-2003, 11:29 AM
I didn't mind so much him going to the scorer, but the fact that he had to talk about it ad nauseum for the next 3 weeks made me sick.

Thunderstruck30
05-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Just wondering, how long has Hawk been announcing for the Sox?

LuvSox
05-28-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

Too ****ing long! C'mon, you knew somebody was gonna say it :D:

GASHWOUND
05-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Do you like Hawk & D.J. or Rooney & Farmer?

Niether...I put the volume down and listen to music..
But Farmers stinks so if I had too, then Hawk and DJ

Brian26
05-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

This is his second stint with the Sox. He returned for the 1990 season and teamed with Paciorek through 1999. Hawk and DJ have been a team since 2000. Hawk's initial run with the Sox was 1982 through the end of the 1985 season, with Don Drysdale. Hawk was named GM right after the '85 season until he stepped down towards the end of the '86 season. Hawk was a broadcaster for the Yankees for at least one season between '87-'89'.

Sox TV guys for 86 and 87 were Drysdale and Frank Messmer. The 1988 team was Paciorek and Rooney. 1989 was Paciorek and Gary Thorne (Mr ESPN Hockey).

I think Jim Durham did the WGN telecasts with Paciorek in 1990 (for some reason Hawk was allowed on WGN).

vegyrex
05-30-2003, 12:50 PM
I listen to Rooney and Farmio mostly, but I like Hawk and DJ to. I'll take Hawk over Chimp Carry any day.

SoxFan4Ever
05-31-2003, 12:53 AM
I miss Wimpy. He and Hawk were a much better match. DJ is ok but too dead pan. We need a smart ass personality in the booth with Hawk. Maybe Ron Kittle.

kbriley
08-06-2003, 02:06 AM
I loved wimpy too. He had one of those infectuous personalities that made you laugh. They got rid of him because he apparently wasn't serious or knowledgeable enough for WGN. Instead we have DJ now.....

NewyorkSoxFan
08-06-2003, 06:12 AM
I love Rooney. I like hearing him hear when he does national games, he is the ultimate pro. I love hawk, but I think he would be bettter as a color guy. When he worked with Drysdale he was the analyst. I just think DJ is overmatched and master of the obvious all the time. Hawk is forever setting him up with something to say, I just wish he had an original thought.

NYSF

Paulwny
08-06-2003, 06:26 AM
Hey, NYSoxfan, what do you think of Michael Kay as a broadcaster., seeing if our views compare. ?

jabrch
08-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox aren't putting out a major league product, so I don't feel I should I bother putting out major league effort to drain every detail available from the games they are playing. Sad, but true.

Is that a bit harsh George? Our SP (1 through 4) is as good as any in the AL. We have no major holes in the lineup offensively. Our OF is poor defensively for our park (big OF should have a faster/better CF than the crew we throw out there) The pen (other than Koch) isn't terrible. The manager sucks, but to call it not a major league product?

There are 20 other franchises that would love to have what we have out there.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-06-2003, 06:37 AM
He's ok, a little dramatic for me. He does know his baseball. He also has a good team with Ken Singleton, and the other guy who's name is escaping me. Kay is a little pompus, now John Sterling on the other hand is awesome.

What do you think?

NYSF

Paulwny
08-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
He's ok, a little dramatic for me. He does know his baseball. He also has a good team with Ken Singleton, and the other guy who's name is escaping me. Kay is a little pompus, now John Sterling on the other hand is awesome.

What do you think?

NYSF Agree, he's really prepared, seems to do his homework on the other team.
Jim Kaat may be the other announcer you're thinking of.
Sterling is very good but his "theeee yankeeees win, theeee yankeeees win" drives me nuts so I rarely listen to the last inning if it looks like the yanks will win. Also, I'm usually able to pick up am1000 ~ 8:30 -9pm edt so I'm then listening to the sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Is that a bit harsh George? Our SP (1 through 4) is as good as any in the AL. We have no major holes in the lineup offensively. Our OF is poor defensively for our park (big OF should have a faster/better CF than the crew we throw out there) The pen (other than Koch) isn't terrible. The manager sucks, but to call it not a major league product?

There are 20 other franchises that would love to have what we have out there.

This is a confusing thread because it was started months ago and picked up again last night. My comments were from last May, when the offense was the worst in the league this side of Detroit. It would be several more weeks before the team began heating up. I usually listen to Farmer & Rooney, and continue to do so.

CiscoCarlos
08-06-2003, 09:12 AM
I've had a Hawk conversion in the past few months. For 20 years I couldn't stand the guy but now I think he's really exciting. The changes: Hawk's more into the game this year than he's ever been, he's talking less about the old Red Sox, less about his golf game and more about baseball. And he has a good home run call.

Procol Harum
08-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I've had a Hawk conversion in the past few months. And he has a good home run call.

Not to mention: "HE GONE!"

kevingrt
08-06-2003, 09:33 AM
I listen to both at the same time. A lot of times it's perfect because Hawk goes on one of those things where he is silent for 2 minutes...

But seriously I listen to both, works for me... I got two ears why not use them?

Dan H
08-06-2003, 10:00 AM
I can't stand Hawk's manic depressive state when the Sox are losing. They all complain about the umpires too much. The best thing I can say for them is that they are better than Ron Santo.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I can't stand Hawk's manic depressive state when the Sox are losing. They all complain about the umpires too much. The best thing I can say for them is that they are better than Ron Santo.

Word up, Dan. The Flubbies have the WORST announcers* in baseball. Santo is the worst of the worst.

*The one big exception is Steve Stone. He is very intelligent and his talent is ruined sharing the booth with that idiot, Chimp. Even when Stoner says something insipid, it's usually just to cover for something unbelievably dumb that his partner just said.

I would L-O-V-E the Sox to steal Stoner from the Cubune, turn the tables and exact revenge on the Flubs for creating the P.R. disaster that followed the Sox when Harry Caray bolted for WGN.

I think Hawk and Stone would be great Sox TV crew--and a great way to steal fans/viewers from the Flubbies. I also trust Stoner to rein in Hawk's ego like Wimpy and D.J. never could. If Stoner could handle Harry, handling Hawk will be a piece of cake. In the meantime I'll just keep enjoying Rooney on the radio while tolerating Farmer's mind-numbing antics.

And for the record, Stone pitched more brilliantly for the Sox than he ever did for the Flubbies. He was part of the '77 Hitmen team, and I'm sure he would have some great stories to share in the Sox booth.

Hangar18
08-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Word up, Dan. The Flubbies have the WORST announcers* in baseball. Santo is the worst of the worst.

*The one big exception is Steve Stone. He is very intelligent and his talent is ruined sharing the booth with that idiot, Chimp. Even when Stoner says something insipid, it's usually just to cover for something unbelievably dumb that his partner just said.

I would L-O-V-E the Sox to steal Stoner from the Cubune, turn the tables and exact revenge on the Flubs for creating the P.R. disaster that followed the Sox when Harry Caray bolted for WGN.

I think Hawk and Stone would be great Sox TV crew--and a great way to steal fans/viewers from the Flubbies. I also trust Stoner to rein in Hawk's ego like Wimpy and D.J. never could. If Stoner could handle Harry, handling Hawk will be a piece of cake. In the meantime I'll just keep enjoying Rooney on the radio while tolerating Farmer's mind-numbing antics.

And for the record, Stone pitched more brilliantly for the Sox than he ever did for the Flubbies. He was part of the '77 Hitmen team, and I'm sure he would have some great stories to share in the Sox booth.

PHG, we had a chance to do exactly that, steal him here, and exact some revenge (or recoup some of our previous gaffes)
but inexplicably, they DIDNT. Stone is so gleefully happy to be a cub again, it stinks....literally. I thought him going back there would tone up their very BAD announcing styles over there (my god is SANTO BAD....I cant believe hes on the air). Stone is missing something, he doenst sound like a PROFESSIONAL ANNOUNCER anymore......but more like a GUY THATS GLAD HES BACK TO WORK. He has never sounded this bad, but thats my opinion. he goes on tangents with Caray now just as often and gets his points lost instead rah rah-ing like Chimp does. Thats too bad, hes better than that. and for THe Record....HARRY LEFT THE SOX , because they asked him to TONE IT DOWN, and become a COMPANY MAN. HE told the SOX TO JAM IT, and left.
HE went 8 miles north and promptly became the thing he left the South Side for.....the biggest company man the Cubs ever had.
I respected Harry.........but not for what he became....

gogosoxgogo
08-06-2003, 08:20 PM
I like em both. I listen to Rooney and Farmer when I want to learn things about the game, about the players, etc. They give you the info, and Rooney is amazing at giving you a mental picture when you can't watch it on TV. I listen to Hawk and DJ when I want to sit back and relax. I feel as though I can just chill out and drink a beer with those two as we watch the game together, they definately give off that type of feel. I don't need Hawk to be doing Play by Play (like Chimp tries to do) because I can see everything that's happening.

JJAustin69
08-06-2003, 08:32 PM
I'll tell you what, when Hawk and DJ started, they had such an appalling lack of chemistry I couldn't bear to listen. It was a bad joke that no one was in on. I remember the papers were even carrying stories about people that thought they didn't like each other because it sounded like they were going to come to blows on the air. It was the most brutal thing this side of the Flubs that I have ever heard. They have smoothed out the edges some but they still aren't all that good. Tolerable on their best days now. On a positive note, "Put it on the booooaard YES!" may actually be the most recognized homerun call in the league. Also, they are leaps and bounds ahead of listening to Chimp or Santo.

AMestan
08-06-2003, 11:58 PM
DJ makes me SICK!

chisox56
08-07-2003, 11:28 PM
I voted for hawk and dj, but that vote is for hawk only. Hawk is the best announcer in baseball in my opinion. He knows what is going on in the games unlike a lot of announcers and shows that he cares a lot about the team. Hearing, "you can put it on the board yes" or GAS! He's gone" or hawks new strikeout saying, "he gone", are the best in baseball. Rooney and Farmer are enjoyable to listen to also. They call a great game of baseball. They are also very knowledgeable about the game and will show their emotion on the air.

pudge
08-07-2003, 11:48 PM
As someone who has the DirecTv package, I have to say Hawk and DJ are still a lot better than most TV guys. They do have insights into what makes a good at bat vs. a bad at bat, or a good pitch vs. a bad pitch, whereas most TV guys just babble about nonsense. And they seem to really care about how the team does. I also have to give kudos to Steve Lyons, who does Diamondbacks games in addition to national Fox games. He's funny and insightful.

I can see where some people are getting tired of Hawk. But did you hear him last month against the Twins when he said, "I loooove Hooters." (He was referring to the restaurant, but how can you not like a guy who says that on the air!?)

I agree that Rooney is a great PBP man. The just think Rooney and Farmer are painfully boring to listen to, and I think Farmer sounds like the most stuck-up jerk in the entire world. Hence I give my nod to Hawk and DJ, even though I'd loooove to see Wimpy back.

I also agree with PHG about Steve Stone being a great color man, although it just doesn't sound the same with Stone sitting next to the horribly lame "Chimp" Carey.

Mammoo
08-08-2003, 01:41 AM
DJ is good when he gets away from the old fossil Harrelson.

Farmer is a complete ass-hole. Rooney's voice is too squeaky, especially when he gets excited..."it's a goner"...."that's a White Sox winner!"

My God!!! :?:

poorme
10-13-2003, 09:16 PM
I think Hawk could be good if he got his lips of JR's posterior. The guy actually knows baseball and he doesn't sound like every other generic announcer in the league.

I hate Rooney. From day one I've hated Rooney. He's so fake. That "White Sox Winner" thing sounds like something that should be on a game show. When Farmer first started there were all kinds of crazy rumors how he got the job, because it certainly wasn't because he had any broadcasting ability.

oheeoh...magglio
10-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I think Hawk could be good if he got his lips of JR's posterior. The guy actually knows baseball and he doesn't sound like every other generic announcer in the league.

I hate Rooney. From day one I've hated Rooney. He's so fake. That "White Sox Winner" thing sounds like something that should be on a game show. When Farmer first started there were all kinds of crazy rumors how he got the job, because it certainly wasn't because he had any broadcasting ability.

I think your being a bit harsh on Rooney. I think he's actually a good broadcaster, it's Farmer I hate. He says all that stupid #$@# that makes no sense, and it's really annoying, but I like Rooney, and have no problem with "white sox winner." As for Hawk, he does have his lips on JR's rear sometimes, but I think his "hawkisms" are cool. Only problem with the tv guys is hawk and dj seem to have a akward relationship, and poor chemistry in the booth.

MRKARNO
10-13-2003, 11:13 PM
It kinda pissed me off that the most excited I ever heard him was calling Todd Walker's two run bomb in game 2 of the ALDS this year

KingXerxes
10-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Rooney and DJ would be a very good combination in that neither of them is an over the top homer and are just analytical enough to not insult the listener. I think I've made my position clear on the other two clowns that occupy the booth. Harrelson and Farmer are two unbelievble know-it-alls who announce games as if their audience consists of four year olds who will believe anything.

:hawk

"You know............I've been around this game longer than anybody else in this stadium, and let me tell you that nobody, and I mean nobody, runs to the outfield with their back to the infield and picks up little ducksnorts on the second bounce better than Joe Crede..........nobody."

:farmer

"That's right Hawk! And the disgusting thing about the fact that Garland has now given up six straight hits is due to the fact that Detroit is obviously stealing the signals that Olivo is sending out to Garland. Is it okay to steal signals? It's okay if you're the one doing it - but not if your opponent is doing it. I'm going to e-mail the commissioner right now and tell him what the Tigers are doing. I was in the clubhouse prior to the start of today's game, and I sat down with Garland and Cooper, and we talked about how they would pitch to these Tigers if we discovered that they were stealing the signs - this on should be right at his ear."

:hawk

"Ol' Ray Oyler.......mercy.............I don't think I ever saw a better shortstop at distracting runners on second base and keeping them from stealing the catcher's signals...............Ol' Ray Oyler......you know he never got credit for being a very tough situational hitter either."

SoxFan78
10-14-2003, 09:20 AM
I voted for Hawk and DJ, but it should just be a vote for Hawk. I can't stand DJ and I wish that it was Hawk and Wimpy. People may not like them because they are depressing or some other reasons. But Hawk is a true Sox fan, and echos his emotions whether they are doing good or bad.

Mammoo
10-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Not much to choose from... :(:

poorme
10-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It kinda pissed me off that the most excited I ever heard him was calling Todd Walker's two run bomb in game 2 of the ALDS this year

I know exactly what you mean. He's a gun for hire. "Show me the dough, and I'll get excited."

KingXerxes
10-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Don't you think that's true of all announcers.

Harry Caray was, at differing times, the biggest Cardinal/White Sox/Cubs fan there ever was.

The same goes for Harrelson. This guy bled for the Red Sox when they were paying him, probably bled for the Yankees during his "banishment period", and now he bleeds for the White Sox.

All these guys are paid to act like big fans of their the teams paying them. The lone exception to this may be Santo, who seems (and announces) like he's really a fan - and we all can hear how that works out.

poorme
10-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Well, I think you have a valid point there. But Rooney just "bugged" me from the get-go. His first game with the Sox, he was all fake excited. It just bugged me. We wasn't from Chicago. Wasn't a "baseball guy." He was most famous for announcing college basketball. He's got that professional announcer's voice. Didn't he come in at the same time the Sox hired Gary Thorne to do TV? He was the same way. Fake. It was so obvious that Thorne knew nothing about baseball. I used to listen to Ernie Harwell on the radio at night. Now there was a terrific BASEBALL announcer. Then I'd turn over to Rooney and say "why me?"

KingXerxes
10-14-2003, 02:44 PM
I guess it all comes down to what you look for in an announcer. Personally I think "less is more" when it comes to these guys (particularly on television).

I love going to games, and sitting there and scoremarking. I don't listen to the radio while doing it, and the only time I need any "outside" intervention is when the PA address systems tells me of a substitution. I have watched baseball my entire life, I understand it, and I enjoy it. I wish they would broadcast games with nothing but the crowd noise and PA system audible.

When an announcer is a minimalist (like Rooney or as you pointed out Ernie Harwell) the I like them. When the announcer tries to BE the show (Harrelson comes to mind), that's when I reach for the mute button.

thepaulbowski
10-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I know exactly what you mean. He's a gun for hire. "Show me the dough, and I'll get excited."

aren't we all guns for hire?

poorme
10-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
aren't we all guns for hire?

Instead of going on a long philosophical ramble, I'll just say "no."

thepaulbowski
10-14-2003, 04:26 PM
We are all guns for hire. If I lose my job, am I not going to take a job with a rival company and do my best to impress them? I would be an idiot not too. So in reality, we are guns for hire...to an extent.

john2499
10-14-2003, 06:10 PM
I like Hawk because he wants the Sox to win, and his emotions come off that way to me. DJ sucks, he is supposed to be the color man, correct, well he is brutally boring!!!!!!!!! And I am very tired of the excuses he gives for errors and stupid plays the Sox make. I remember a few times when Hawk would call someone out on a bad play and DJ would give some lame excuse about it, Hawk would insist the play should have been made.

I actually would rather have Hawk's silent stints. Listen to any national broadcast and they'll tell you Julio Franco and George W. are good buds.....TWICE. Or maybe you'll want to see the Steve Lyons (in a Sox uniform) baseball card collection every damn Sox game on Fox.