PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 5/26

Lip Man 1
05-26-2003, 01:37 PM
"I told the guys that we had some opportunities in front of us and that eventually something good was going to happen for us." --Jerry Manuel to the Chicago Daily Southtown.

If the past is any indication it'll happen in August with the Sox ten games out. That's Manuel's track record.

The Sox need a miracle to salvage this season. They need a nine game winning streak or a stretch where they win like 15 out of 19 to instill some confidence and some optimism to BOTH the players and fans that this season is still there for the taking.

Lip

Hullett_Fan
05-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"I told the guys that we had some opportunities in front of us and that eventually something good was going to happen for us." --Jerry Manuel to the Chicago Daily Southtown.

If the past is any indication it'll happen in August with the Sox ten games out. That's Manuel's track record.

The Sox need a miracle to salvage this season. They need a nine game winning streak or a stretch where they win like 15 out of 19 to instill some confidence and some optimism to BOTH the players and fans that this season is still there for the taking.

Lip

Lip, the best opportunity has just about passed the Sox by. After that disasterous 12 game stretch against OAK and SEA, I said the Sox need to win 14-16 of the next 20 games against beatable opponents (except Twins...but again, they are in front of us and a good opportunity for W's and cut their lead).

We sweep Orioles :smile:
Get swept by Twins :angry:
Take 2 of 3 versus Toronto :smile:
Lose 2 of 3 versus Detroit :(:

That's 6 W's and 6 L's and leaves 8 more games before going to ARI and LA where we'll be lucky to win 1. And before we play SF, BOS, Cubs and MIN...teams a lot better than the Sox.

So can we take 8 in a row against Toronto and Cleveland??? That's what we need to do and hope that a tough June schedule doesn't end the season before the All-Star game.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2003, 01:51 PM
The funny thing is, as bad as the Sox have played, the division is still there to be taken. Today the Sox aren't playing well enough to finish higher than third, but nobody else has shown a champion team's aptitude either.

Still, we've been down this path with this team before. So I'm guessing you're probably right. The Sox will finally figure it out in August and September. We'll finish 1 or 2 games over .500 and everyone will be lulled into thinking the lousy first half of the season was just a fluke.

The truth is, it will be the second-half of the season that was the fluke. We'll learn it the hard way in 2004. :smile:

Hullett_Fan
05-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The funny thing is, as bad as the Sox have played, the division is still there to be taken. Today the Sox aren't playing well enough to finish higher than third, but nobody else has shown a champion team's aptitude either.

Good point. 85 wins could be enough to win this lousy division!

Jerry (or better yet, Wally Backman) just needs to find a way to beat the damn Twins!

stingo
05-26-2003, 02:39 PM
I keep reading about how lousy the AL central is, but the top two teams are doing okay against the rest of the league so far. Min has winning records against a couple of the top teams in the league, including Sea, Oak, and Bos.
They got their teeth kicked in, in highly visible fashion, by the bankees, who were hot at the time, but right now, I think anyone is capable of getting a game or two from them in a 3-game set.

By numbers alone, the sox wouldn't be buried yet no matter what division they were in. In the east, they'd be 7 games out, in the west 8. They're not buried because it's still early, moreso than because the division is weak. A winning streak and they'd be 3 to 4 games out, and it would get interesting again. (Are they capable of a winning streak -- sure, every team is, even this one!)

so yes, I'd admit that the ALC is the weakest div in the league, but I think how much is overstated. In any case, I for one am getting tired of that particular piece of dogma...am I alone?

gosox41
05-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Good point. 85 wins could be enough to win this lousy division!

Jerry (or better yet, Wally Backman) just needs to find a way to beat the damn Twins!

The Twins are hot. I say they're good for 93 wins. The Sox won't do that.

Bob

MRKARNO
05-26-2003, 03:16 PM
2 from AZ is likely becuase they have been plagued with injuries and they've been not too good. ALso, the dodgers will cool off, hopefully in time for our visit

Hullett_Fan
05-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by stingo
I'd admit that the ALC is the weakest div in the league, but I think how much is overstated. In any case, I for one am getting tired of that particular piece of dogma...am I alone?

Short answer: YES

ON PAPER, this is by far the weakest division in either league. Keeping in mind that you play division foes twice as many times as non-division teams --- If the Sox were in the AL East we'd be getting our butts kicked by NY, BOS and TOR. In the AL West OAK, SEA and ANA would have us for lunch. There are probably 3 teams in each of the NL divisions that'd hand it to us.

In AL Cent. only the Twins should have a winning record vs. us this season. Unfortunately, it could end up being KC, DET, CLE as well.