PDA

View Full Version : Sox Minor Leagues

NC_sox_fan
05-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Charlotte Knights -- Off on Sunday. The Knights are currently in 3rd place in the Southern Division, only 1 game back.

Birmingham -- The Barons won 4-2 over the Mobile Bay Bears on Sunday. Pacheco (5-0) threw 6 2/3 innings, allowing 2 runs on 8 hits, striking out 5 and walking 2. Royce Ring struck out 1 in the 9th for his 12th save. Chad Durham scored on a wild pitch and singled home an RBI in the 7th. Gabe Alvarez homered in the 2nd, Danny Sandoval also drove in a run with a sacrifice fly. Birmingham is in 2nd place in their division, only a game and a half back. A note about Royce Ring: in stats through 5-24, Royce's ERA is 0.43, having pitched in 21 games. Way to go!!

Winston-Salem -- The Warthogs blasted Kinston 9-0 on Sunday. The Hogs had 15 hits. Eric Storey and Chris Stewart each had 3 RBI. Starter, Frank Francisco gave up 4 hits and walked 5 in 6 innings. McWhirter, O'Neal, and Stumm combined to preserve the shut-out. The Hogs went 4 - 2 on their road trip and remain in first place in their division, 4 games over the Salem Avalanche. Jeremy Reed was also named the Player of the Week in the Carolina League for the second week in a row. Reed is batting .346, with 4 home runs, 37 RBI, 15 stolen bases and only 12 strike-outs.

Kannapolis -- The Intimidators were rained out in Greensboro yesterday. They are in 6th place in the SALLY league, 9 1/2 games back.

hold2dibber
05-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Thanks (as always) for the update.

A few questions for anyone who closely follows the Sox minors:

(1) How is Jason Stumm doing, both physically and in terms of performance? Does he have the same stuff he had way back before the injuries? Is he still a prospect?

(2) Where is the 3B the sox drafted last year (I think it was last year). His first name is Micah (I think) and I can't remember his last name (Schurenstein, or something similar)? IIRC, he hit gangbusters last year, but I haven't heard a word about him this year. Any info would be appreciated.

NC_sox_fan
05-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Jason Stumm is doing well for us so far. He is still throwing in the 90's according to the other pitchers on the Warthogs. He came to Winston-Salem from rehabbing in Tucson and is much bigger than he was last year. Too many tacos....

Don't know about the 3rd baseman you mentioned. I've seen his name mentioned on the board here. Maybe Daver would know where he is.

The player I think you should all look out for is Jeremy Reed. He's the best all-round player I've seen in years.

hose
05-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Thanks (as always) for the update.

A few questions for anyone who closely follows the Sox minors:

(1) How is Jason Stumm doing, both physically and in terms of performance? Does he have the same stuff he had way back before the injuries? Is he still a prospect?

(2) Where is the 3B the sox drafted last year (I think it was last year). His first name is Micah (I think) and I can't remember his last name (Schurenstein, or something similar)? IIRC, he hit gangbusters last year, but I haven't heard a word about him this year. Any info would be appreciated.

Micah should start playing in rookie ball at Great Falls or Bristol in June.

I'm not 100% sure , but I think the league starts play around June 17th .

hose
05-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
Jason Stumm is doing well for us so far. He is still throwing in the 90's according to the other pitchers on the Warthogs. He came to Winston-Salem from rehabbing in Tucson and is much bigger than he was last year. Too many tacos....

Don't know about the 3rd baseman you mentioned. I've seen his name mentioned on the board here. Maybe Daver would know where he is.

The player I think you should all look out for is Jeremy Reed. He's the best all-round player I've seen in years.

Looks like some good arms down in Winston-Salem. Wing and Honel have a chance to get to the bigs some day.

Could you give a more detail report on Jeremy Reed when you get a chance? I am excited to hear about a lefthanded batting athlethic outfielder WOO-HOO.

With Neil Cotts pitching lights out at Birmingham I wonder if he will get promoted to AAA or jump to the Sox at the end of this season? The guy has a high walk rate, but he doesn't give up hits and strikes out a ton of batters. Cotts must have some NASTY stuff.

NC_sox_fan
05-26-2003, 02:37 PM
About Jeremy Reed

From the 2003 Winston-Salem Warthogs Program :

Sox Acquisition: Selected in the second round, June 2002 First Year Player Draft.

Minor League Highlights 2002: Cited by Baseball America in a postseason poll as the No. 21 prospect in the White Sox Organization...led Class-A Kannapolis in average (.319), finished second with 11 hit-by-pitch and third in stolen bases (17)...batted .370 (37-100) on the road and .273 (30-110) at home... .356 vs. left-handers and .309 vs. right-handers...played all three outfield positions...compiled a 14-game hitting streak (.400, 22-55) from 7/25 to 8/7...hit .315 (29-92) in July and .321 (34-106) in August.

Hope this is helpful.

Daver
05-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by hose
Micah should start playing in rookie ball at Great Falls or Bristol in June.

I'm not 100% sure , but I think the league starts play around June 17th .

He's on the Great Falls roster,I still haven't figured out why he isn't in Kannapolis though.

Nellie Comiskey
05-26-2003, 10:43 PM
As far as the AA talent...it appears Royce Ring is among the future pitching studs....this guy, his demeanor and his mannerisms remind me so much of Randy Smith. He is perfect(kinda off center) to be a closer. It is amazing to see the job Wally Backman continues to do with this team. He is the perfect skipper for the southside...he is a fire-ball, aggressive, happy-go-lucky, passionately strives for success and knows how to accomplish it. From what I've seen, read about...even though the system does contain some excellent prospects...overall it is not as plentiful(legitimate prospect-wise) as it has been in recent years. :lsox