PDA

View Full Version : Rocco Baldelli

Thunderstruck30
05-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Did anyone read the article in SI about Rocco Baldelli of the Devil Rays? I think the Sox should pursue getting this guy in a trade. He would be a good addition IMO. For one he plays centerfield which the Sox need. He is also an aggresive hitter and rarely takes a good pitch. As of now he is batting 342. He also has good speed which the Sox also need. However he does strike out alot. What do you guys think, would he be a good addition to the Sox? And who would u give up to get him in a trade?

Daver
05-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Did anyone read the article in SI about Rocco Baldelli of the Devil Rays? I think the Sox should pursue getting this guy in a trade. He would be a good addition IMO. For one he plays centerfield which the Sox need. He is also an aggresive hitter and rarely takes a good pitch. As of now he is batting 342. He also has good speed which the Sox also need. However he does strike out alot. What do you guys think, would he be a good addition to the Sox? And who would u give up to get him in a trade?

Ummmm the Sox already have Joe Borchard,who has the advantage of being a switch hitter with power from both sides of the plate.

pissonthecubs
05-25-2003, 11:34 PM
lets try hard not to fall into the trap of thinking of Rocco Baldelli is the next Joltin' Joe. yes, hes a average center who is hitting well right now. i think he fits well in the devil ray line-up. get back to me next year at this time and we can see if he is keeping up is .342 average. not only SI, but Sports Center did a story on him and made it out to be that since he wears no. 5, and plays center field, and is italian, he has to be the next DiMaggio. lets give him some time.

Procol Harum
05-26-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Did anyone read the article in SI about Rocco Baldelli of the Devil Rays? I think the Sox should pursue getting this guy in a trade. He would be a good addition IMO.

With Borchard (hopefully) lining up as centerfielder heir apparent, I would think we would be hoping to firm up positions (SS, 2B, C) that are not quite looking so promising long-term. Besides, what would we have to give up to get a Baldelli--Borchard, Wunsch and who else?

Vsahajpal
05-26-2003, 12:11 AM
The Devil Rays won't deal Rocco, he and Crawford are their cornerstone players.

TheBigHurt
05-26-2003, 01:05 AM
WE would have to offer a hell of a lot to get him BE GOOD

jeremyb1
05-26-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
With Borchard (hopefully) lining up as centerfielder heir apparent, I would think we would be hoping to firm up positions (SS, 2B, C) that are not quite looking so promising long-term. Besides, what would we have to give up to get a Baldelli--Borchard, Wunsch and who else?

hehe. borchard, garland, wright, and rauch?

Hangar18
05-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
The Devil Rays won't deal Rocco, he and Crawford are their cornerstone players.

yes...that is, Unless your the Cubs calling on them. The Devil Rays are a stupid organization that once dealt a certain Hall of Fame Caliber (arguably) 1B to the cubs in exchange for a 250 hitting minor leaguer who is now out of baseball. How stupid is that team. they couldve stocked their minor league system...and chose to give the cubs another Hand Out. I say we call them And trade them Willie Harris, Rick White, for Rocco Baldelli.
what are they gonna say....NO?

SoxxoS
05-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Do people really think that teams give up players that easily? You know how much the Devil Rays would want for Rocco Baldelli? I also read somebody wanting us to acquire Brandon Webb and/or Lyle Overbay from the Diamondbacks.
It's different if it's the trading deadline and a team trades for a veteran with a year left on his contract. What some want us to do is acquire young, CHEAP players that have proven they can perform at the next level (thusfar). When a team trades for a stud prospect they don't even get that assurance.

I also just read that the Sox and the Angels are the top two suitors for the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes according to Ken Rosenthal. That will be happening. Bet on it.

MRKARNO
05-26-2003, 10:38 AM
The sox need AA or AAA pitching prospects more than anything IMO.

MarkEdward
05-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
yes...that is, Unless your the Cubs calling on them. The Devil Rays are a stupid organization that once dealt a certain Hall of Fame Caliber (arguably) 1B to the cubs in exchange for a 250 hitting minor leaguer who is now out of baseball.

Jason Smith is still in baseball, and is tearing it up in Durham.

I say we call them And trade them Willie Harris, Rick White, for Rocco Baldelli.

If only it were that easy...

kermittheefrog
05-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
yes...that is, Unless your the Cubs calling on them. The Devil Rays are a stupid organization that once dealt a certain Hall of Fame Caliber (arguably) 1B to the cubs in exchange for a 250 hitting minor leaguer who is now out of baseball. How stupid is that team. they couldve stocked their minor league system...and chose to give the cubs another Hand Out. I say we call them And trade them Willie Harris, Rick White, for Rocco Baldelli.

OF COURSE they are going to say no. When McGriff was traded he was expensive, soon to be a free agent and too old to ever be a part of the first good D-Rays team. Right now Rocco is young, inexpensive and the D-Rays property for six years. They would never give him up.