PDA

View Full Version : Konerko In White Sox History?

joecrede
05-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Who are some of the other Sox hitters who have had good reputations then just fell off the face of the earth? Two I'm thinking of are George Bell in '92-3 and Luzinski in '84 (both were also GIDP machines.) The difference is Konerko is in his prime.

xil357
05-25-2003, 04:47 PM
Steve Sax. Frank Thomas.

pearso66
05-25-2003, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't say Thomas fell off the face of the earth. He put up respectable numbers last year, sure his AVG was down, but his homers and RBI's weren't bad. Sure they weren't as high as in his prime, but were better than the majority of the league.

oldcomiskey
05-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Navarros numbers werent that bad the season before we got him. and another that comes to mind is Cory Snyder, although he was hindered by Hriniak. also see Belle, Fat Albert and Ronnie Santo who found out real quick he wasnt hitting in the friendly confines

Procol Harum
05-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Who are some of the other Sox hitters who have had good reputations then just fell off the face of the earth? Two I'm thinking of are George Bell in '92-3 and Luzinski in '84 (both were also GIDP machines.) The difference is Konerko is in his prime.

The other difference is that Bell and Luzinski had a pretty lengthy track record with other teams then went south once they got here. Konerko had a couple of "B" seasons and one half-season "A" last year.

I think what most of the guys have in common that have been mentioned in this thread is that everyone was a "wing and a prayer" addition where Sox management was hoping against hope that these players had one, last good season in them. Other candidates who flopped once they got here:

-Rocky Colavito
-Ken Boyer
-Bobby Bonds

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
...I think what most of the guys have in common that have been mentioned in this thread is that everyone was a "wing and a prayer" addition where Sox management was hoping against hope that these players had one, last good season in them. Other candidates who flopped once they got here:

-Rocky Colavito
-Ken Boyer
-Bobby Bonds

Omigod, Bobby Bonds! Veeck acquired him before the 1978 season. He was supposed to be the next "rent-a-player" success, replacing Richie Zisk--who Veeck hadn't the money to pay, of course. Bonds was a complete bust and Veeck's rent-a-player scheme revealed for the smoke and mirrors it always was.

In retrospect, acquiring Bobby Bonds was the beginning of the end for Veeck's ownership. Not to worry. The new Sox owner promised us a "first class organization." :smile:

:reinsy
<whistling>

:ohno
"I'll take Veeck and Bobby Bonds. At least back then I was treated with respect."

oldcomiskey
05-26-2003, 11:19 AM
I remember reading somewhere after Bonds went to Texas that Veeck had decided to have two opening days ....in other words he wanted the PA announcer to do the opening day ceremonies after the all start break---Bonds refused to come out

Hullett_Fan
05-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Whoo Hooo!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Ohhh, sorry. I thought the title of thread was "Konerko is History"

Nellie_Fox
05-26-2003, 11:16 PM
It's one thing to "fall off the face of the earth" at the end of your career. Almost everyone does it. If you're making that list, then you'd have to put Fisk on it.

When you're talking about Konerko, you're talking about a pretty young guy who should have been reasonably expected to put up numbers for quite a few more years. So, you should really talk about the "flash in the pan" type players, those who looked solid for a year or two and then disappeared.

Wayne Nordhagen comes to mind.