PDA

View Full Version : Whom do we get rid of among the players?

Viva Magglio
05-25-2003, 04:57 PM
I vote for ousting Valentín and Daubach. I admit that I'm not exactly sure how we'd replace them, but I getting rid of them cannot possibly make things any worse.

joecrede
05-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I vote for ousting Valentín and Daubach. I admit that I'm not exactly sure how we'd replace them, but I getting rid of them cannot possibly make things any worse.

If you got rid of Valentin you'd have exactly no one who hits right-handers.

Viva Magglio
05-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
If you got rid of Valentin you'd have exactly no one who hits right-handers.

Yeah, like Valentín is hitting a ton batting off RHP's: .250

joecrede
05-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah, like Valentín is hitting a ton batting off RHP's: .250

Batting average is the least important offensive stat. Check out his on-base and slugging averages vs. righties . . .

whitesoxwilkes
05-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Steve Rosenbloom brings up the unthinkable in today's Cubune: trading Magglio. Says we should be able to bring in 2 top tier players and a prospect. In my eyes, Magglio is the sacred cow on this team..I don't want to see him as the sacrificial lamb.

Daver
05-25-2003, 09:20 PM

OK,if they get rid of Valentin,tell me which second baseman you want playing short,cause there isn't another SS even close to being able to play here now.

Rocklive99
05-25-2003, 09:26 PM
It would be nice to get rid of Frank and have Valentin DH IMO. Not sure if its possible. I'd probably get rid of Daubach, White, and maybe Garland too. I think I would keep Magglio, Olivo, Crede (He'll come around), Borchard, Jimenez, Lee, Loaiza, important prospects and maybe Buerhle (even though he will later go onto stl) for sure.

Daver
05-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
It would be nice to get rid of Frank and have Valentin DH IMO.

That still leaves you without a SS.

whitesoxwilkes
05-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
That still leaves you without a SS.

:hitless

"I'm 90 miles and a phone call away."

MHOUSE
05-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Keep Maggs. We need someone to build around. Platoon Konerko and Daubach until someone is willing to trade for them. Lee has high trade value now I think. Please keep Olivo, Jimenez, and Borchard. They're the future. Most of our bullpen save Marte is tradeable too.

Daver
05-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Lee has high trade value now I think.

How do you equate a left fielder that has trouble playing the position,and is hitting under .250 with a high trade value? He can't even walk for that matter.

Sorry,I don't buy it.

Viva Magglio
05-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Mágglio is God. If I were in charge for the Sox, Mágglio will be a White Sox for the rest of his natural life and beyond.

AngelLeroy
05-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Call me crazy, but I could definitely live with an outfield of Lee, Borchard, and Ordonez. I like Crede just fine at third. Shortstop I'd keep Valentin this year, and take his option next year. After that, try to have a prospect or decent acquisition take his place. (I bet the Red Sox just might trade their shortstop prospect (whose name I forget) for some decent relief, maybe Koch, Gordon, and/or Ginter would interest them. I feel that Rios is expendable. Konerko I am starting to give up on. Maybe rest him for awhile/have him find his head in AAA or on the DL and start Daubach for a while. Eventually, I wouldn't mind seeing Konerko go. Jimenez is doing ok at second, but if he ever slips up I'd like to see this Aaron Miles that so many salivate over. Olivo should be fine, Sandy is a good teacher for him for this year. The Sox should draft a catcher in a high(ish) round though.

joecrede
05-26-2003, 02:59 AM
Mágglio is God. If I were in charge for the Sox, Mágglio will be a White Sox for the rest of his natural life and beyond.

Why? Ordonez is fast moving into the category of overratated and probably is worth more in trade than he is in production particularly when his '04 salary of $14M is taken into consideration.

SoxxoS
05-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Why? Ordonez is fast moving into the category of overratated and probably is worth more in trade than he is in production particularly when his '04 salary of $14M is taken into consideration.

Are you kidding me? Is that you, Mr. Reinsdorf?

MHOUSE
05-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by daver
How do you equate a left fielder that has trouble playing the position,and is hitting under .250 with a high trade value? He can't even walk for that matter.

Sorry,I don't buy it.

He's producing a lot of RBIs and homerruns. He's much better at fielding than a couple years ago. A LOT better. I mean he's still not very good, but serviceable. I'll bet a lot of teams would use him or put him at first base or DH.

joecrede
05-26-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by SoxxoS
Are you kidding me? Is that you, Mr. Reinsdorf?

This is the second year in a row where Ordonez has gotten off to a slow start. I'm sure he'll end up pretty close to his usual numbers at the end, but remember this is a guy who has been touted as a potential MVP candidate both years.

For the kind of money he's making more of his numbers have to come when the championship season is in doubt.