PDA

View Full Version : So how 'bout that Chris Singleton trade?

MarkEdward
05-25-2003, 12:47 PM
In January of 2002, Kenny Williams traded Chris Singleton to the Baltimore Orioles for Willie Harris. At the time, I though this was a complete steal for the Sox. I thought Singleton was just a good defensive CF with no affinity for drawing walks. Willie Harris, on the other hand, was a speedy second baseman who showed a propensity for drawing walks in the minors. As I said, this trade looked like a steal.

Hindsight is 20/20, but how well has this trade really gone? To cover for Singleton, the Sox signed Kenny Lofton in February of 2002. He didn't really disappoint (.348 OBP), but we had no use for him after July, so he was traded. After the trade, Aaron Rowand took over in center. Crash crumbled, posting a .692 OPS. Willie Harris got an extended cup of coffee, but he didn't show anything special.

So Aaron Rowand entered 2003 as our starting center fielder. He goes 8-60, and is sent to the minors. Willie Harris, who had been tearing it up in Charlotte, is called up. He puts up a robust .346 OPS, and is currently on the DL. Armando Rios has played a little in center, but that's not his natural position. With all this trouble, Joe Borchard has been prematurely called up, and right now, it's his position to lose.

So what has Chris Singleton done? In 2001, he put up a .706 OPS (.296/.410). While that's not good, it beat Harris' and Rowand's OPS. He continued to put up OK defensive numbers, but nothing like his '00 and '01 numbers. After the 2002 season, he was picked up by the Oakland A's. So far, Chris has a .753 OPS, much better than anyone we've put in center. His defense, according to the Oakland A's, remains stellar. Even Carlos Lee continues to sing praises for Singleton's defense.

Once again, hindsight is 20/20. Harris may turn out to be an everyday ballplayer, and Singleton may collapse before season's end. But for right now, I'll take Singleton over any of our current lugs out in center (except for Joe Borchard, of course).

pearso66
05-25-2003, 04:17 PM
While I dont think we lost this trade, at the point its at now, we still came out ahead. The O's lost, they lost Harris for a rent a player who wasn't even that good. He may be a good defensive CF but we have players who I thikn can be near that good defensively. He didn't have a bat, sure he had the year over .300 but that was one year. We are better off without him, but I dont want to see Harris out there anymore either

T Dog
05-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
In January of 2002, Kenny Williams traded Chris Singleton to the Baltimore Orioles for Willie Harris. At the time, I though this was a complete steal for the Sox. I thought Singleton was just a good defensive CF with no affinity for drawing walks. Willie Harris, on the other hand, was a speedy second baseman who showed a propensity for drawing walks in the minors. As I said, this trade looked like a steal.

Hindsight is 20/20, but how well has this trade really gone? ...

I'm sorry. I'm still busy analyzing Sandy Alomar for Bobby Knoop.

Tragg
05-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by T Dog

LOL - that's the funniest comment I've read on this board. And the analogy is right on. That was great.

If you can add another late 60s trade to your analysis, what about the Ron Hansen for Tim Cullen trade? And then the Tim Cullen for Ron Hansen trade? Traded them for each other; and then swapped 'em back.

LuvSox
05-25-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by T Dog

Good one :D:

kermittheefrog
05-25-2003, 11:22 PM
The Harris trade was made with the right logic: Trade an arbitration eligible mediocre player for a prospect. It's not because of the trade than Kenny has failed to put a warm body in centerfield.

It's unfortunate that Harris hasn't developed since the trade but the trade was the right move to make. Plus there was no reason to expect Rowand and Harris to be as horrible as they actually have been this year. I'm not a fan of either of those players and I can admit that.

WinningUgly!
05-26-2003, 12:38 AM
I still like the deal. Singleton wouldn't make this current team significantly better than it is now, although it would have been nice to start the season with a serviceable guy in CF. Harris is obviously not major league ready yet...who knows if he ever will be an every day major leaguer? Willie Harris still has more trade value & still has some time to develop into something. Singleton has already hit his ceiling...nothing more than a 31 year old career .280 hitter who can't play against lefties.

jeremyb1
05-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Hindsight is 20/20, but how well has this trade really gone? To cover for Singleton, the Sox signed Kenny Lofton in February of 2002. He didn't really disappoint (.348 OBP), but we had no use for him after July, so he was traded. After the trade, Aaron Rowand took over in center. Crash crumbled, posting a .692 OPS. Willie Harris got an extended cup of coffee, but he didn't show anything special.

So Aaron Rowand entered 2003 as our starting center fielder. He goes 8-60, and is sent to the minors. Willie Harris, who had been tearing it up in Charlotte, is called up. He puts up a robust .346 OPS, and is currently on the DL. Armando Rios has played a little in center, but that's not his natural position. With all this trouble, Joe Borchard has been prematurely called up, and right now, it's his position to lose.

So what has Chris Singleton done? In 2001, he put up a .706 OPS (.296/.410). While that's not good, it beat Harris' and Rowand's OPS. He continued to put up OK defensive numbers, but nothing like his '00 and '01 numbers. After the 2002 season, he was picked up by the Oakland A's. So far, Chris has a .753 OPS, much better than anyone we've put in center. His defense, according to the Oakland A's, remains stellar. Even Carlos Lee continues to sing praises for Singleton's defense.

Once again, hindsight is 20/20. Harris may turn out to be an everyday ballplayer, and Singleton may collapse before season's end. But for right now, I'll take Singleton over any of our current lugs out in center (except for Joe Borchard, of course).

just because we can't seem to find anyone decent to play centerfield right now i don't think that makes chris singleton a good player nor does it make the deal in which we moved him a bad trade. with rowand in place, harris coming in the trade, and borchard on the horizon there was no reason to believe we'd be in this much trouble at center. if kenny had thought we were in this much trouble at centerfield he could've signed singleton or another comperable player for next to nothing this offseason.