PDA

View Full Version : Sox have 2 choices

gosox41
05-25-2003, 08:07 AM
The Sox have two realistic options here:

1. Fire JM and KW today!!!

2. If that isn't going to happen, it's time to start trading for the future.Better to start early then wait until Jly when everyone else is doing the same thing and you get a Jon Adkins for an All Star player. It's time to rebuild....again. The Sox have enough good players to reload for next year or 2005, assuming KW doesn't f*** it uo.

I'm not saying trade everyone by tomorrow, or trade everyone at all. But it is time for a serious house cleaning. As I said earlier there is something rotten on this team. Here is who I would trade in order of tradeability and what I hope the Sox gould get for these guys. It's hard to handicap that because of the KW factor.

1. The first guy I'd trade is Esteban Loiaza. I think he has done a wonderful job and like him a lot. But it's time to sell high, and his value can only fall from here. He's cheap and having a great year. There should be a ton of interest in him. The NL East is having a hell of a race, he might push a team over the top.

2. Trade Valentin. I love his attitude, but maybe some team can use him as a possible SS or 3B. He's only owed about $3.5 mill. for the rest of the season and is good for 25 HR's. This also allows the Sox to move Jiminez to SS and bring up Aaron Miles.

3. Colon, Gordon, Marte, Ordonez, Wunsch. A lot of teams would salivate to get at these guys. Wunsch is another example of a guy you can sell high right now. Except for Ordonez and Colon, they're cheap. If KW could conduct a trade wtihout getting screwed, the Sox should be able to get 2 dolid mid-level prospects or 1 top prosptect for the bullpen guys.

Ordonez is a super star and would command 3 top prospects with at least 1 can't miss guy on him.

Colon would also command a lot, just not as much as Magglio. Two top prospects at the very least.

4. Lee. Let's hope he hits after his beaning. He needs to prove he's healthy, but he could command a decent amount.

5. Konerko. I'd mention him earlier, but he is untradeable with a .225 BA and $24 mill. ccoming to him over the next 3 years. I would give him fup for a bucket of horse S*** just to save the money. The Sox were overpaying him to begin with for a statistically average 1B.

6. Buehrle I'd wait on him to because I think he'll get his act together. Don't sell low here, but it's time to move him. He doesn't even want to be here, he's said so two years in a row. Once he gets his act together, the Sox should be able to get a ton for him.

7. Garland-I'm sick of his inconsistency. He's 23 and cheap. Someone will overpay for him.

8. Thomas I don't think anyone wants him but would trade him if I were KW.

ncfan
05-25-2003, 08:33 AM
I agree with your assessment. I do believe the biggest problem
is the manager. We need someone who will put some spark
in this team. Then I would definitley dump Frank Thomas, he
is starting to be a cancer for this team. His time has passed.
We need to go back to the exciting teams that gave us pitching,
defense, and speed. It is time to start re-structering this under-
achievement of a club. Even if we have to clean house to do it.

dougs78
05-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by ncfan
I agree with your assessment. I do believe the biggest problem
is the manager. We need someone who will put some spark
in this team. Then I would definitley dump Frank Thomas, he
We need to go back to the exciting teams that gave us pitching,
defense, and speed. It is time to start re-structering this under-
achievement of a club. Even if we have to clean house to do it.

First of all, welcome to WSI! However, I am going to have to disagree with your assessment of Thomas. Last time I checked he was still leading the team in walks, home runs, obp, and slugging percentage. Is this really the plague on our team?

As for GoSox41's ideas:

As much as it pains me to say it, we are starting to get to that position. I truly have no idea what is wrong with this offense, but yesterday was a new low even for this crew. 2 hits versus Gary Knotts, are you kidding me? That was beyond bad, but I fail to see how this would be helped by firing manuel.

Unfortunately the only real option we have right now is to hope that in the next few weeks Walker can have a positive impact on these guys and somehow gets our team out of this 25-man slump.

MHOUSE
05-25-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree with your post. I would keep Magglio if at all possible and buld around him in the middle of the lineup. Everyone else is worthless for the most part. Colon and Loaiza are awesome, but they don't deserve this and their value is high. I'd like to keep Marte as a closer, but doubtful. I hope that they can JM and KW because I don't want KW handling the fire sale or JM filling out a lineup card full of young players.

oldcomiskey
05-25-2003, 10:38 AM
you fail to see how firing the cryptkeeper will chance this club? Let me ask you something---do you think Joe Torre or even Dusty Baker would put up with this--heads would roll

MRKARNO
05-25-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by ncfan
Then I would definitley dump Frank Thomas, he

I dont agree with this. Frank is definately not a clubhouse cancer. I think that he just says what's on his mind a little more often than the other players because he's the only one who feels like he can. Thomas and everyone else needs a new manager because we HAVE seen that Thomas can still hit, it's just that he cant do it consistantly. That is the problem of everyone on the team and a manager like Wally Backman who'll yell and scream at everyone, will really help spark this club.

Hangar18
05-25-2003, 11:38 AM
this team Sucks. Fire Jerry Manuel. Publicly Flog kenny, then Fire him too

gosox41
05-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
First of all, welcome to WSI! However, I am going to have to disagree with your assessment of Thomas. Last time I checked he was still leading the team in walks, home runs, obp, and slugging percentage. Is this really the plague on our team?

As for GoSox41's ideas:

As much as it pains me to say it, we are starting to get to that position. I truly have no idea what is wrong with this offense, but yesterday was a new low even for this crew. 2 hits versus Gary Knotts, are you kidding me? That was beyond bad, but I fail to see how this would be helped by firing manuel.

Unfortunately the only real option we have right now is to hope that in the next few weeks Walker can have a positive impact on these guys and somehow gets our team out of this 25-man slump.

It just seems a little odd that players like Valentin, Thomas, Konerko, Lee, Ordonez (to a lesser extent), and Daubach are all in their prime (maybe not Thomas) who have a history of hitting for at least the last 3 seasons and they all suck at once. What is Greg Walker going to do? These guys should no how to hit, how to mentally prepare for the game, how to shorten slumps, and they even know the pitchers around the league. It's a little odd that all these guys fall off at the same time for so long. It tells me there is something else going on.

Bob

keaddy
05-25-2003, 11:48 AM
I would replace management before moving one player.There's still a lot of talent on this team.We all can't be this stupid-this was supposed to be a very good team.We have good players.

Start with the GM/manager and take it from there.This team needs a new outlook-the talent is there.

K-Y