PDA

View Full Version : How do we explain this "obsession" with the Cubs?

Viva Magglio
05-25-2003, 12:45 AM
As White Sox fans, we are often accused by non-Sox fans of being obsessed with seeing the Cubs lose. How do we explain this? Better yet, how do we defend it? I admit that I am increasingly attentive to how the Cubs are doing, and I do not want them winning. I have a growing fear that their success has a deleterious effect upon us, especially when we are losing like we are these days.

I suppose that it's really the residual effect of the Cubs' winning that affects us. You know, the media fawning all over them or their fans overdosing on Cubbie Kool-Aid. We view this as a general media love of the Cubs coupled with a general media bias against the White Sox, especially considering how the media handled the fans running onto the field incidents. There are some allies in the media and several reporters who are very fair with us. However, we object to Cubs success because of the general media plays favorites with them.

hose
05-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
As White Sox fans, we are often accused by non-Sox fans of being obsessed with seeing the Cubs lose. How do we explain this? Better yet, how do we defend it? I admit that I am increasingly attentive to how the Cubs are doing, and I do not want them winning. I have a growing fear that their success has a deleterious effect upon us, especially when we are losing like we are these days.

I suppose that it's really the residual effect of the Cubs' winning that affects us. You know, the media fawning all over them or their fans overdosing on Cubbie Kool-Aid. We view this as a general media love of the Cubs coupled with a general media bias against the White Sox, especially considering how the media handled the fans running onto the field incidents. There are some allies in the media and several reporters who are very fair with us. However, we object to Cubs success because of the general media plays favorites with them.

I am getting tired of you ranting about the Cubs constantly, you sound like a little cry baby.

Right now the White Sox are the crappiest team in MLB and you are talking about the Cubs getting to much attention.

Hangar18
05-25-2003, 12:28 PM
I hate the cubs because they get a ton of attention for No Real reason. How do you explain a team that loses nearly 100 Games four of the last 6 years.....getting more attention than a team with more wins? Why is that? How is that? I hate that team, I hate their fans, I hate their stadium. Its simple as that.

MarkEdward
05-25-2003, 01:01 PM
Cubs: first place.
White Sox: third place in one of the worst divisons in baseball.

Until the Sox start winning, the Cubs should get most of the media attention.

white sox bill
05-25-2003, 01:34 PM
I think as Sox fans we dislike the lovable losers because in effect, this gives us a 2nd team to root for (2nd team being whoever the scrubs are playing). The only thing sweeter than a cub defeat is a Sox victory. When the good guys win and the bad guys lose, its like winning a double header and all is right in God's little green Earth!

Mammoo
05-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey Hose,

Relax is Viva M. entitled to express his opinion?

hose
05-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Hey Hose,

Relax is Viva M. entitled to express his opinion?

Since when the hell has Viva ever been stopped from expressing his opinion?

I'm tired of all the whining about the Cubs who just happen to be in first place and are a bigger interest to the Chicago public then some 1/2 ass joke of a franchise on the South Side.

Media attention? *****!!! who in the world wants to know anything about this club right now? Even members of WSI have jumped ship and Viva rants about bias media coverage? If die-hards don't want to read about the Sox what do you think the casual fans interest is? It reminds me of Reinsdorf and Einhorn measuring in inches the print each club recieved in the newspapers....pathetic!!!!!!!

It embarrassing to think that trolls read this paranoid thread and assume all White Sox fans have a inferiority complex about their team compared to the Cubs. I don't and I don't care to be lumped in with others that do.

I don't care what the Score or Murph or Mariotti says about this franchise . How can you defend this club? They deserve to take a beating by the fans and the media.

That's my rant....all done

whitesoxwilkes
05-25-2003, 09:15 PM
I get sick and tired of hearing about the Cubs everywhere I go. I get REALLY sick of it when I'm sitting at the park and people around me are worried about whether the Cubs are winning or losing. I DON'T CARE! We play them 6 times a year. It's much more important what KC and the Twinks are doing in my eyes. Chicago is a Cubs town and I accept that, much like I accept that Chicago will always be controlled by the Democrats.

Grobber33
05-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I get sick and tired of hearing about the Cubs everywhere I go. I get REALLY sick of it when I'm sitting at the park and people around me are worried about whether the Cubs are winning or losing. I DON'T CARE! We play them 6 times a year. It's much more important what KC and the Twinks are doing in my eyes. Chicago is a Cubs town and I accept that, much like I accept that Chicago will always be controlled by the Democrats.

THANK HEAVENS for Chicago Democrats! Got to neutralize the DownState and DuPage County Republicans somehow!!!!!!

Streets
05-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
.. much like I accept that Chicago will always be controlled by the Democrats.
Ya d@** right! Thankfully for that one. All hail the Mayor. Hopefully it'll still be that way when I move up there.

pissonthecubs
05-26-2003, 12:50 AM
People, we are the second team in the second city. we should be use to it. it is us. it's like it should be part of our White Sox Family Crest. Cubdom will have its following. media included. lets just deal with it. all of us don't want the cubs to win. but we have plenty of worrys on our side (or should i say, the "other" side) of town to take care of before we can worry about 'dem cubs. GO SOX!

fquaye149
05-26-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

the nl central is not a whole lot better than the al central. i mean the cubs are in first and the REDS are in the hunt? come on...they dont' have a single starting pitcher with an era under 4.00. and are the brewers and pirates really so much better than the indians and tigers? maybea LITTLE bit but not head and shoulders

Mammoo
05-26-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by hose

It embarrassing to think that trolls read this paranoid thread and assume all White Sox fans have a inferiority complex about their team compared to the Cubs. I don't and I don't care to be lumped in with others that do.

That's my rant....all done

Baseballwise, this is a Cubs town. The only way that will change is if and when the Sox go to the World Series. That's an accepted fact, not a product of some inferiority complex.

I don't have the time or the inclination to "root against" the Cubs or take pleasure in their failure. I prefer to invest my emotions in the hope of White Sox success.

I'm a Bears season ticket holder but don't spend my time rooting against the Packers, except when we play them.

hose
05-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Baseballwise, this is a Cubs town. The only way that will change is if and when the Sox go to the World Series. That's an accepted fact, not a product of some inferiority complex.

I don't have the time or the inclination to "root against" the Cubs or take pleasure in their failure. I prefer to invest my emotions in the hope of White Sox success.

I'm a Bears season ticket holder but don't spend my time rooting against the Packers, except when we play them.

Save it Mammoo

:threadsucks

Mammoo
05-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by hose
Save it Mammoo

You are a very pleasant fellow! How do you react when something really tragic happens in your life?

Viva Magglio
05-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
THANK HEAVENS for Chicago Democrats! Got to neutralize the DownState and DuPage County Republicans somehow!!!!!!

I'm with you 100% on that one, Les.

nut_stock
05-26-2003, 06:01 PM
shouldn't this be in the parking lot?

whitesoxwilkes
05-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
shouldn't this be in the parking lot?

Nahh...Viva started it as a Cubs related thread until I came along and mucked it all up... :)

hose
05-26-2003, 06:07 PM
You are a very pleasant fellow! How do you react when something really tragic happens in your life?

What is your problem? and why are you making it personal?

MarkEdward
05-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
the nl central is not a whole lot better than the al central. i mean the cubs are in first and the REDS are in the hunt? come on...they dont' have a single starting pitcher with an era under 4.00. and are the brewers and pirates really so much better than the indians and tigers? maybea LITTLE bit but not head and shoulders

I'd say that the Cubs, Astros, and Cardinals are better than any team in the AL Central.

fquaye149
05-26-2003, 08:20 PM
that's fine...but i'd say that you're wrong. the cubs have good pitching but a poor lineup. the astros have one outstanding pitchers and a good top of the order but a lot of so-called "c" players, as in not great. the cardinals are a good team, but have not really performed thus far. so maybe they're better than the top teams in the al central, maybe they're not, i'm just making the case that it's possible that they're not better.

Viva Magglio
05-26-2003, 08:54 PM
I guess I have to explain myself here a little bit, based upon the negative reaction by some to my initial post in this thread. As a longtime White Sox fan, I have a natural disdain for the team on the other side of town. Like many White Sox fans, I have a strong desire for our ballclub to have a better record than that other team.

At least for me, I should mention, this is not a personal hatred of Cub fans or Cub players. It is simply a natural lack of preference of the institution of the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc. Many White Sox fans before our time have this, and many White Sox fans after our time will have this. In short, there is nothing wrong with us wanting the Cubs to fail. Surely you have heard the phrase "My favorite teams are the Sox and the 'team' that plays the Cubs." Those of you from Bridgeport or Beverly know that one very well. Or how about this one? It was used by the Daily Southtown as an ad slogan a few years back: "The Sox won; the Cubs lost...What a great day!"

Having said all that, I should make it extremely clear that our desire in seeing the Cubs fail should NEVER supersede our cheering for our own Chicago White Sox. I think there are some fans in our camp who are this way, and it's a very popular stereotype fans of other teams like to throw at us. We have all seed those "CUBS SUCK" and "CUBS MAGIC NUMBER: 911" t-shirts. I will never wear one of those; it is those people who do that fuel the stereotype. Instead, I choose to wear apparel that say "WHITE SOX."

We are all very disappointed over how bad this season has started out. As if that isn't bad enough, a lot of us see the Cubs being in first place as salt on the open wound. We all have to admit that Jim Hendry has put together a solid team at Clark & Addison with a strong starting rotation, timely hitting (most of the time), and a good manager in Dusty Baker. Nevertheless, Cub winning coupled with Sox losing is a lethal mix for our fan psyche. This is only exacerbated when the media fawns all over their winning while at the same time making a big controversy whenever some shirtless drillrod runs onto our field.

That's all.

hose
05-27-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I guess I have to explain myself here a little bit, based upon the negative reaction by some to my initial post in this thread. As a longtime White Sox fan, I have a natural disdain for the team on the other side of town. Like many White Sox fans, I have a strong desire for our ballclub to have a better record than that other team.

At least for me, I should mention, this is not a personal hatred of Cub fans or Cub players. It is simply a natural lack of preference of the institution of the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc. Many White Sox fans before our time have this, and many White Sox fans after our time will have this. In short, there is nothing wrong with us wanting the Cubs to fail. Surely you have heard the phrase "My favorite teams are the Sox and the 'team' that plays the Cubs." Those of you from Bridgeport or Beverly know that one very well. Or how about this one? It was used by the Daily Southtown as an ad slogan a few years back: "The Sox won; the Cubs lost...What a great day!"

Having said all that, I should make it extremely clear that our desire in seeing the Cubs fail should NEVER supersede our cheering for our own Chicago White Sox. I think there are some fans in our camp who are this way, and it's a very popular stereotype fans of other teams like to throw at us. We have all seed those "CUBS SUCK" and "CUBS MAGIC NUMBER: 911" t-shirts. I will never wear one of those; it is those people who do that fuel the stereotype. Instead, I choose to wear apparel that say "WHITE SOX."

We are all very disappointed over how bad this season has started out. As if that isn't bad enough, a lot of us see the Cubs being in first place as salt on the open wound. We all have to admit that Jim Hendry has put together a solid team at Clark & Addison with a strong starting rotation, timely hitting (most of the time), and a good manager in Dusty Baker. Nevertheless, Cub winning coupled with Sox losing is a lethal mix for our fan psyche. This is only exacerbated when the media fawns all over their winning while at the same time making a big controversy whenever some shirtless drillrod runs onto our field.

That's all.

In many of your past posts you haver mocked the local press
for giving Mark Prior to much attention and calling him "Jesus" for all this praise.

The rest of the country's media and fans recognizes Prior as one of the best pitchers to emerge onto the baseball scene in years.

I have already stated my feelings on the matter, but you can't change public opinion and my rant was that some on the WSI
board can't accept it or get over it.

It's going to be a long summer Viva, hopefully we will have some good Sox stories to talk about.

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

in theory, this is the way it should be. But the cubs lost a ton of games last year, Yet were the Media Darlings and the Toast of Chicago Media wise....

Sad
05-27-2003, 12:51 PM
you know...
I want to see CHICAGO baseball win once in my life... preferably the WHITE SOX - my favorite team...

but if not, I sure as hell ain't rooting for NY, St Louis, or teams from Texas, California or anywhere else as far as that goes!

I enjoy the South-side/North-side rivalry those 6 games every summer, but I never understood the inner-city hatred :angry: & jealousy :whiner:

I don't get it... maybe it's because I don't live in the city?
or the state of Illinois?
:?:
I used to live in NW Indiana for many years...

One park is new(er), the other old... but over 30 years of following Chicago ball, I know this much to be true:
There are rude, inconsiderate people at BOTH parks
There are intelligent die-hard fans at BOTH parks
There are people who can & cannot handle their alcohol at BOTH parks
There are idiots w/ cell phones in good seats waving at the TV cameras at BOTH parks
There are fools running or throwing stuff onto the field at BOTH parks
There are people who both like and dislike the "other team" at BOTH parks

:gulp:
Have a cold Schlitz on me people...

Hangar18
05-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Sad

I enjoy the South-side/North-side rivalry those 6 games every summer, but I never understood the inner-city hatred :angry: & jealousy :whiner:

I don't get it... maybe it's because I don't live in the city?
or the state of Illinois?

Its really simple actually. Because the Media have for some reason, all gotten together and Blatantly Favored the N side team for NO REAL REASON, other than a stadium suddenly being "holy". That has Fueled my anger towards them. Then their fans believe this "creation" of the media, repeating verbatim whats written, said, reported, telecast, and hyped. Things just start adding up after that. Now start doing that for about 20 years and This Is what youve got. I blame the media for this
"rivalry"

steff
05-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Its really simple actually. Because the Media have for some reason, all gotten together and Blatantly Favored the N side team for NO REAL REASON, other than a stadium suddenly being "holy". That has Fueled my anger towards them. Then their fans believe this "creation" of the media, repeating verbatim whats written, said, reported, telecast, and hyped. Things just start adding up after that. Now start doing that for about 20 years and This Is what youve got. I blame the media for this
"rivalry"

Perhaps if certian fans of BOTH teams weren't so friggin retarded when it comes to this grand conspiracy theory.. there wouldn't be one.. :?:

Mammoo
05-27-2003, 10:54 PM
The Cubs play in an upscale, trendy area that people of varying degrees of baseball accumen gravitate to. Our heroes play in a run down, old time industrial area in the shadow of burned out projects across the Dan Ryan.

Think about it; your lotaylties are in the balance (not a born Sox fan) and you're looking for a venue at which to get hammered, girl watch and take in some baseball, where would you go?

Put the Sox in Wrigley and it's 30,000 per game, no doubt about it.

Combine that with Reinsdorf's monumental blunder of **** canning Harry Caray and you have the recipe for PR hell!

steff
05-28-2003, 08:58 AM
The Cubs play in an upscale, trendy area that people of varying degrees of baseball accumen gravitate to. Our heroes play in a run down, old time industrial area in the shadow of burned out projects across the Dan Ryan.

Think about it; your lotaylties are in the balance (not a born Sox fan) and you're looking for a venue at which to get hammered, girl watch and take in some baseball, where would you go?

Put the Sox in Wrigley and it's 30,000 per game, no doubt about it.

Combine that with Reinsdorf's monumental blunder of **** canning Harry Caray and you have the recipe for PR hell!

Ummm.. have you been to both parks? The only thing "upscale" about Wrigleyville is the price of housing. The area is a dump. And, believe it or not, crime ridden. The area around Comiskey is NOT as bad as it's made out to be. And much nicer since they re-did the El station. And perhaps you should get caught up on the latest real estate news.. all but one of the Dan Ryan buildings are gone. You can't even see them from the lower bowl or club level anymore. As for getting hammered and girl watching.. again, take in a game. Summer days at Comiskey are just as full of bikini clad chicks (me included!). And I really had to laugh at the part about "taking in a baseball game". If you want to do that you definitely head to the south side.