PDA

View Full Version : Enough is Enough

Dick Allen
05-24-2003, 09:44 PM
After 43 years of sitting through this crap, I am officially washing my hands of this team. Incompetent ownership, gross mismanagement and mediocre talent development have gotten the best of me. Bye boys.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-24-2003, 09:47 PM
i wish i could say the same. but the sox are like meth, once you start, it aint easy to stop.

so long dick :smile:

Lip Man 1
05-24-2003, 10:01 PM
The awful thing is it's not going to change in the near future possibly get even worse.

Lip

MHOUSE
05-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Goodbye Dick. Sorry you wasted your time. In 40 years I'm becoming more certain that many more of us younger fans will walk away. This is awful. The terrible part is that through all of the years, it's been the hardcore fans to keep the team going, but now they've even been rubbed the wrong way and are walking away. It's so sad to see. :(:

chisox06
05-25-2003, 12:20 AM
Cant blame ya Dick. But this is the reason why were harcore fans around here, because when the sun comes up tomorrow, guess what, were still sox fans (even though it sucks).

lowesox
05-25-2003, 12:38 AM
Well, I for one am joining him -- for this season at least. It's too much frustration. I know a lot of things probably can't be blamed on one person or another. But it took far too long for Gary Ward to be fired, and I think most of us knew that Jerry Manuel should've been fired long ago. If KW is willing to flush this season down the toilet (as he's shown he is) I won't be going down with it.

It's funny really, before the season I said that I thought this would be my favourite WhiteSox team ever - and you know what? I really can't stand this team. Next year doesn't look much rosier either.

If I can break away for a year hopefully I'll be smart enough to never come back. I don't know what I'll do to fill the time but whatever it is, it can't be more painful.

Way to go, to those of you who are going to stick with this team. You are all better fans than I am.

Later guys. The whitesox organization might deserve to get flushed down the toilet, but some of the fans are grade A.

Jurr
05-25-2003, 02:13 AM
Read my "woahhh" post. Don't be rediculous.

jeremyb1
05-25-2003, 04:17 AM
i think a lot of this is that people get incredibly angry and frustrated and feel powerless to do anything so they do the only thing they can do which is to make a statement like this. the most frustrating aspect of baseball and sports in general is that the losing can just tear you apart and yet no matter how angry or upset you get there's nothing you can do but watch. people make statements like this so that they can express their anger and take some sort of action. however, i doubt that if we were to (miraculously) go on a winning streak all of a sudden, anyone that's made statements like this would stick to them.

i said today that i'm not going back to the ballpark again unless we're .500 because its not worth driving 45 minutes to the game and 45 minutes back and paying 55 bucks for two people just to park, eat a dog and some nachos, sit in the upper deck, and watch this crap pass as baseball. however, as sickened as i am i'd be lying if i pretended for a second i could turn my back on this organization.

dougs78
05-25-2003, 09:25 AM
I can't say i'm turning my back. I'm in from out of town and today is my first game of the year. I'm excited to see the park and its changes, but at this point I may offer to pinch hit for this team rather than to watch this parade of popups, strikeouts and double-plays.

I can honestly say that while I won't ever stop being a fan, I will take it down a notch. Listening on the radio or the internet everyday is going to stop until I see some resemblence to baseball out there. It simply not worth the negative emotions that I go through every time I look at this team.

oldcomiskey
05-25-2003, 10:31 AM
you want to know something---I am a SOX FAN---I live in Brave and Cardinal territory yet I still wear My SOX cap every day to work--I still pay for MLB extra innings every year and will continue to do so----do you want to know why---because nobody can accuse me of being a bandwagon jumper and when they do win it makes it sweeter

CLR01
05-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
you want to know something---I am a SOX FAN---I live in Brave and Cardinal territory yet I still wear My SOX cap every day to work--I still pay for MLB extra innings every year and will continue to do so----do you want to know why---because nobody can accuse me of being a bandwagon jumper and when they do win it makes it sweeter

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: to you OC

TornLabrum
05-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

The problem is that they don't win.

Hangar18
05-25-2003, 11:34 AM
This team and the owner Suck

oldcomiskey
05-26-2003, 11:05 AM
wrong

Hangar18
05-26-2003, 11:40 AM
I guess I'll always be a Sox Fan, but Im beginning to examine in myself, where to draw the line. When is enough truly enough.
If the teams trying and were getting bad breaks, thats one thing,
but man, to see them going out like this? I guarantee you, if we reverse our fortunes, and add those 4 games Manuel/sox blew earlier, we stilll might not be having this conversation. We'd have some hope, and so would the team. You know theyve quit already, I can see it. Theres a few players on this team that I can say are QUITTERS (I wont name names, we probably all agree who they are) I cant let these guys get me down anymore. Saturday Nite had to be the Hardest Ive Cheered/Hoped for a Sox Win in years (not counting the Crosstown games) we needed it bad, and they Just Didnt Have It and Blew it. I was as frustrated as Ive ever been with this team Sat Nite. I was sitting near Wilkes and I didnt even want to stay to watch the "fireworks". Well, that being said, Im a Sox Fan til the bitter end, and I know I'll NEVER be a cub fan.

Hullett_Fan
05-26-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Theres a few players on this team that I can say are QUITTERS (I wont name names, we probably all agree who they are).

C'mon name names! :D: OK, I will:

Carlos Lee
Frank Thomas
Armando Rios (he's had a history of it...that's why Giants let him go)

Other than that, I really think most of these guys are trying but are struggling...especially Konerko who sucks royally and I wish we could dump off on someone.

[i]Well, that being said, Im a Sox Fan til the bitter end, and I know I'll NEVER be a cub fan. [/B]

Call me an idiot, but I love baseball...especially when it's being played correctly. And I also love Chicago...so I'll be rooting for them if they make the playoffs. I hate Sammy and most of their stupid fans, but I count Prior and Wood among my favorite players in the game. Even starting to like Grudzilanek and Choi. Those guys are "gamers".

MRKARNO
05-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
C'mon name names! :D: OK, I will:

Carlos Lee
Frank Thomas
Armando Rios (he's had a history of it...that's why Giants let him go)

Other than that, I really think most of these guys are trying but are struggling...especially Konerko who sucks royally and I wish we could dump off on someone.

Call me an idiot, but I love baseball...especially when it's being played correctly. And I also love Chicago...so I'll be rooting for them if they make the playoffs. I hate Sammy and most of their stupid fans, but I count Prior and Wood among my favorite players in the game. Even starting to like Grudzilanek and Choi. Those guys are "gamers".

There is no way in Hell that Carlos Lee isnt trying. He is one of the harder working players on the team right now IMHO.

Hullett_Fan
05-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
There is no way in Hell that Carlos Lee isnt trying. He is one of the harder working players on the team right now IMHO.

Guess we just disagree. My seats are in LF bleachers and everytime I look at Lee he seems to be asleep or distracted out there IMO. It might be different when he's at the plate...though mentally (before Grand Slam yesterday) he didn;t seem focused because he swung at so many bad pitches and never seems to know what a pitcher might throw him.

So maybe it isn;t that he's knowingly "given up"...but he's definitely not focused. Players on a winning club are generally more focused...players on losing clubs usually aren;t (with exception of guys like Fisk, Banks, etc.).

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2003, 12:45 PM
These guys are all professional ballplayers, so it is very different than playing high school baseball. Unless it is a playoff game, they pretty much put out the same effort every game--it's a job.

Still, some guys tighten up and press (Konerko, Maggs) and others play strictly for themselves (Durham and Clayton come to mind), but I don't think anybody "quits" in the classic definition of the word.

Keeping their high-paying jobs in MLB depends on playing well. All the "quitters" were weeded out back in the minor leagues--or even before the minors.

T Dog
05-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Guess we just disagree. My seats are in LF bleachers and everytime I look at Lee he seems to be asleep or distracted out there IMO. It might be different when he's at the plate...though mentally (before Grand Slam yesterday) he didn;t seem focused because he swung at so many bad pitches and never seems to know what a pitcher might throw him. ...

I don't know why so many people rip on Carlos Lee. He appears to me to be working at least as hard as anyone else on the team. Saturday night he left the game after a nasty beaning. Sunday he was not only back in the lineup, but he swung on the first pitch and flied out deep. One or two pitches before he hit the grand slam, he took a pitch up and in. Late in the game he tried to do too much with the knuckleball. Carlos Lee has shown me some character this season.

T Dog
05-26-2003, 01:39 PM

Becoming a Cubs fan is the perfect thing for people whose emotional investment in a baseball team has them drained. When they lose, and they'll probably finish third or fourth this year, it won't hurt as much as if you had put so much into cheering for the Sox because they will remain lovable. Also, according to the media at large, you have done your civic duty by supporting the team, whether it is good or bad.

Hullett_Fan
05-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Becoming a Cubs fan is the perfect thing for people whose emotional investment in a baseball team has them drained. When they lose, and they'll probably finish third or fourth this year, it won't hurt as much as if you had put so much into cheering for the Sox because they will remain lovable. Also, according to the media at large, you have done your civic duty by supporting the team, whether it is good or bad.

That's a VERY good point...and sooooo true!!! :D:

Paulwny
05-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Never in my entire life did I ever think I would pass up going to see the sox play in Chi but, I spent this past weekend in Naperville and had no desire to see this team play. My cub loving son -in -law and sox raised daughter were amazed, although my grand daughter didn't seem to care.

harwar
05-27-2003, 11:45 AM
I don't understand how anyone can say C Lee isn't trying.He tries TOO HARD if anything.C. Lee,Maggs,Crede,& Olivo are the only players that i would keep.As for turning my back on the team,i only wish that i could stop following them or change teams even,but there is no way.Been a Sox fan for almost 40 years and i will be till i die(just the kind of guy JR likes).I will sit thru every depressing,aggravating,& exasperating inning.