PDA

View Full Version : .466

joecrede
05-24-2003, 01:47 PM
. . . Konerko's OPS in 106 AB's vs. righties this year. Incredibly bad and the single biggest reason our offense is where it is.

MHOUSE
05-24-2003, 01:49 PM
More players than just Paulie are struggling. Saying he is the biggest reason is wrong. Factor in Maggs, Carlos, Frank, Jose, and Crede. There's your struggle. Spots 2-6 not hitting not to mention the struggles of Harris and Rowand. Aside from Jimenez, nobody is hitting or getting on base.

joecrede
05-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
More players than just Paulie are struggling. Saying he is the biggest reason is wrong. Factor in Maggs, Carlos, Frank, Jose, and Crede. There's your struggle. Spots 2-6 not hitting not to mention the struggles of Harris and Rowand. Aside from Jimenez, nobody is hitting or getting on base.

Konerko is the single biggest reason why the team has underachieved thus far.

WhiteSox = Life
05-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

I'm not defending Konerko's level of play this season, but how can you pin the blame on him?

There are plenty of other reasons why the team has been very unsuccessful, e.g. horrible defense, bad base-running, total lack of clutch hits, and, overall, just total, unbelievable lackadaisical play.

To put the blame on Paul is absurd when there are currently 24 other players on the team, many of whom have underachieved, also.

Konerko may be a problem right now, but he's definitely not the only one, and that's what causes underachievement.

joecrede
05-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I'm not defending Konerko's level of play this season, but how can you pin the blame on him?

There are plenty of other reasons why the team has been very unsuccessful, e.g. horrible defense, bad base-running, total lack of clutch hits, and, overall, just total, unbelievable lackadaisical play.

To put the blame on Paul is absurd when there are currently 24 other players on the team, many of whom have underachieved, also.

Konerko may be a problem right now, but he's definitely not the only one, and that's what causes underachievement.

I wrote "Konerko was the SINGLE biggest reason."

Certainly there are other reasons why they have underachieved, however if you were to make up a pie chart of all those reasons, the biggest slice would be labeled "Konerko's Offense" in my view.

kermittheefrog
05-24-2003, 04:05 PM
. . . Konerko's OPS in 106 AB's vs. righties this year. Incredibly bad and the single biggest reason our offense is where it is.

The White Sox are not what you'd call a run scoring team.

Joel Perez
05-24-2003, 04:07 PM

I don't know about the single biggest reason why the team has underachieved.

Let's recap....to date:

Billy Koch's ERA is 7, and he only has 5 saves.
Mark Buerhle is 2-7 with an over-5 ERA.
Rick White should be cut from this team TODAY.
Frank Thomas is hitting less than his weight--around .260. Ah, for the glory days of The Tank.
Yes, Paulie Walnuts is hitting like cashews right about now.
Joe Crede looks like he needs a AAA wake-up call.
Manos' defense is still like the swiss cheese of all baseball.
The Sox still does not have an established #5 starter.

Some positives:
Carlos Lee--albeit streaky--is starting to come around.
We're finally going to see what the hype is all about in Joe Borchard.
Estaban Loaiza--where did he come from?
Bartolo is, well, Bartolo...solid as a rock.
Damaso Marte is picking up the bullpen slack, along with Tom Gordon, Kelly Wunsch.
Jon Garland looks like he finally has his head screwed on right.
DJ is hitting well...he needs to be a table-setter up there though...more stolen bases, please! And hustle!!!
Miguel Olivo--what a steal of a trade by KW.

Same ol', same ol. If it's not one thing, it's another. It's time for a change.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Paul Konerko flat-out sucks. We ought to drop him to #9 in the line up until he figures it out. Otherwise bench him.

I don't even know why we're debating this.

TornLabrum
05-24-2003, 04:30 PM

I can think of at least 20 other reasons why the Sox suck this year.

joecrede
05-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Here are my top 5 reasons why the Sox suck so far. These are based on what was expected before the year began

5.) Crede being awful.
4.) Koch being awful. (Would be higher on list if not for Marte)
3.) Garland, Lee, and Ordonez having from bad to so-so seasons respectively thus far.
2.) Buehrle being awful.
1.) Konerko being awful.

WhiteSox = Life
05-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Here are my top 5 reasons why the Sox suck so far. These are based on what was expected before the year began

5.) Crede being awful.
3.) Garland, Lee, and Ordonez having from bad to so-so seasons respectively thus far.
2.) Buehrle being awful.
1.) Konerko being awful.

I guess your interpretation of the word "single" threw me off.

Onto the list. It's clear all the people mentioned were to be very key in the White Sox' success. Unfortunately, they're all doing a lot worse than they've showed that they can do.

I totally agree with your list, and the numbering is your opinion, too. However, the Sox have had so many problems this year, it's difficult to blame one person.

You can say Konerko is the "single" biggest problem. If he is, why aren't some of the other and pretty good hitters, like Maggs or Valentin, Thomas, Crede, et al, picking up the slack?

Perhaps, offensively, Konerko is the biggest problem. Perhaps not.

As a team, though, the biggest problem is simple: They're losing, and losing badly.

kermittheefrog
05-24-2003, 06:17 PM

5.) Crede being awful.
2.) Buehrle being awful.
1.) Konerko being awful.

I think you left out one key and thats our centerfielders as a whole being ridiculously awful. In 14 game Willie Harris had a 346 OPS and in 23 game Rowand had a 367 OPS. Centerfield has been our biggest weakness because not only has it been unproductive but it's also hit about as well as an A-ball hitter.

I don't even think Buehrle being awful has been a major issue. Our starting pitching has been solid. Make no mistake we could surely use Buehrle pitching well but Loaiza has been dominant and Colon has been great. In Baseball Prospectus' ranking of team starting pitching we're 10th in the majors. But our offense has completely failed us.

MisterB
05-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
However, the Sox have had so many problems this year, it's difficult to blame one person.

It's not difficult at all...

:reinsy