PDA

View Full Version : ROLES: Wunsch and Gordon

lowesox
05-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Nobody ever seems to talk about how we're almost into June and Wunsch has yet to give up an ER. Ok, it'll happen soon (if the law of jinxes apply, it'll be today) but that won't really matter anyways.

Here's what does matter: Flash has been pretty solid lately, but he's been a far cry from being unhittable. Wunsch, well everybody knows how good he's been. So why isn't Wunsch working the 8th. Flash can handle problems in innings before that.

MHOUSE
05-24-2003, 12:47 PM
He struck out four two nights ago. He has been a lot better lately than his bad start to the season, but he seems to get into trouble with BB and bad defense. Did anyone really expect him to be unhittable? I didn't. If he keeps up solid outings then I'm fine. He figures in a lot of games though. 6 decisions all ready.

Speaking of unhittable, Wunsch has given up only 3 and just one unearned. After Loaiza, Kelly is our all star.

whitesoxwilkes
05-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Wunsch to me is a lot like Graffanino. Use sparling when needed and he's phenomenal, but use him every day and you're in deep caca in a hurry.

jeremyb1
05-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Nobody ever seems to talk about how we're almost into June and Wunsch has yet to give up an ER. Ok, it'll happen soon (if the law of jinxes apply, it'll be today) but that won't really matter anyways.

Here's what does matter: Flash has been pretty solid lately, but he's been a far cry from being unhittable. Wunsch, well everybody knows how good he's been. So why isn't Wunsch working the 8th. Flash can handle problems in innings before that.

i think its mostly that we use marte in the setup role and occasionally the closer role so we want to have a righty to complement him instead of always using two lefties to bridge the gap to koch. also, gordon has pitched quite well lately so that's a large part of it too.

lowesox
05-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Wunsch to me is a lot like Graffanino. Use sparling when needed and he's phenomenal, but use him every day and you're in deep caca in a hurry.

I disagree. In the 2000 season I think Wunsch pitched in all the pressure situations. If I remember correctly he was the only lefty for most of that season - and he always came through in the clutch.

Jeremy: I agree that Flash has been pretty consistent lately, but it nowhere near as good as Wunsch has been. And lets face it a lot of Flash's good recent performances have been in situations where we were already trailing. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to take anything away from Gordon, I just think Wunsch now deserves the 8th.

ALSO: Wunsch has been more succussful against righties than lefties. That's huge when assessing a left-handed setup man.