PDA

View Full Version : Why was Garland pulled?.....

Tragg
05-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Did he get hurt or something?
Otherwise, you have a veteran pitcher on his 2nd solid outing in a row throwing only 85 pitches - let him finish his game or go as far as he can. It's time Garland does that. It's time the manager lets him do that.
This "let him get a win; don't want to hurt his confidence" is a bunch of BS; let him get his own wins and let him earn them by pitching 8 or 9 innings.

Oh, and on a side note, considering we were the first team to lose to the Tigers, I can't say I'm surprised to be the first team to lose to this 0-9 pitcher.

i_luv_jgarland
05-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Here are my guesses...

1) They want to keep everyones pitch count low in case someone has to pitch relief due to Colon's suspension.

2) Jon (although I love him) doesn't exactly have the greatest track record in pulling through tough innings and they didn't want to take any chances.

3) They just wanted to make me angry cuz I was there to cheer big jon on. :whiner:

Fridaythe13thJason
05-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
Here are my guesses...

1) They want to keep everyones pitch count low in case someone has to pitch relief due to Colon's suspension.

2) Jon (although I love him) doesn't exactly have the greatest track record in pulling through tough innings and they didn't want to take any chances.

3) They just wanted to make me angry cuz I was there to cheer big jon on. :whiner:

Sometimes, its all about confidence and getting him out of there with a second straight solid start will make him feel positive. I know it sounds silly and childish, but the heads of major league pitchers are weird places.

MHOUSE
05-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Did he get hurt or something?
Otherwise, you have a veteran pitcher on his 2nd solid outing in a row throwing only 85 pitches - let him finish his game or go as far as he can. It's time Garland does that. It's time the manager lets him do that.
This "let him get a win; don't want to hurt his confidence" is a bunch of BS; let him get his own wins and let him earn them by pitching 8 or 9 innings.

Oh, and on a side note, considering we were the first team to lose to the Tigers, I can't say I'm surprised to be the first team to lose to this 0-9 pitcher.

He had two rough innings in a row and unlike Colon, Jon tends to get weaker late rather than stronger. Yeah he might have to pitch relief for Colon's spot and I liked to see Wunsch get some work. Since when is Jon a veteran? 2 full years? hmmm...he doesn't pitch like one most of the time.

jeremyb1
05-24-2003, 03:27 PM
i believe i read something in the trib about a predetermined limit. i'm not sure if its because he was skipped two starts ago, it its related to colon's suspension, or maybe to how much he's thrown on the side. i have no clue.