PDA

View Full Version : Borchard up, Harris to DL

npdempse
05-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Just got the press release--

"CHICAGO - Prior to tonight’s game vs. Detroit, the Chicago White Sox recalled outfielder Joe Borchard from Class AAA Charlotte and placed infielder/outfielder Willie Harris on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to May 22) with a Grade 1 (mild) separation of the AC joint in his right shoulder."

kermittheefrog
05-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Link?

whitesoxwilkes
05-23-2003, 02:56 PM
He's hitting .224. I don;t see this solving any problems for us out there.

rmusacch
05-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

I like the move. Maybe he is disenfrachised with AAA and coming up to the majors, he will take off.

Daver
05-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

He can do something that Willie Harris and Armando Rios can't do,play center field.

Foulke You
05-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Borchard can't do any worse than the production we've been getting from the CF spot so far this year. Rowand and Harris provided nothing. Maybe he can work with Greg Walker on the MLB level and give us some power production from the bottom of that lineup. Besides, can you think of a better team than the Tigers to build up his confidence?

rdivaldi
05-23-2003, 03:03 PM
I guess it's official...

Tribune Story (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030523soxrecallborchard,1,4650020.story?coll=cs%2D whitesox%2Dheadlines)

A.T. Money
05-23-2003, 03:04 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030523soxrecallborchard,1,4650020.story?coll=cs%2D home%2Dheadlines

Now would be a good time to play him. Let him get his feet wet vs. Detroit.

lowesox
05-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by daver
He can do something that Willie Harris and Armando Rios can't do,play center field.

I've read reports that he really should be a corner outfielder. Don't know how true they are. Do you know for sure he's strong defensively? I know he has a cannon for an arm.

From an offensive standpoint, I hope this works out - but my instincts say it won't. I think Gary Mathews would be a better bet right now. If nothing else, because he would provide two chances to get things right.

It seems strange to me to be promoting a struggling player. Maybe it'll spark him to play better, or maybe it'll spark the team. I have a feeling though that he's going to swing for the fences and strike out a lot. And that's something this team certianly doesn't need.

Daver
05-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I've read reports that he really should be a corner outfielder. Don't know how true they are. Do you know for sure he's strong defensively? I know he has a cannon for an arm.

The twenty hours of videotape I have tells me he is far better than Harris or Rios in CF,he'll never be a Griffey type CFer though.

Hangar18
05-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Let the Joe Borchard ERA BEGIN.....
commencement at 7:05pm Tonite.......

TheBigHurt
05-23-2003, 03:12 PM
:) :gulp: .....AS much as I like Wee Willie BE GOOD

Foulke You
05-23-2003, 03:13 PM

During Spring Training Borchard was quoted as saying that he actually feels better playing CF than the corner spots. He has surprising speed for a man of his size. I guess being a QB in Stanford, you'd have to be pretty fast to dodge to the 300lb lineman out to sack you. You also never know what Jerry "the tinkerer" has planned for him. Maggs might be moved back to CF and Borchard may play RF. He is a switch hitter which gives us a little left handed thump in the lineup. I know you are concerned with strikeouts but at least if Borchard runs into one, its got some light tower power behind it! :D: One thing is for sure though, he will be in the lineup tonight. Manuel always tends to play the rookie on the first day they arrive so they don't have a chance to even think or get nervous.

Daver
05-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
One thing is for sure though, he will be in the lineup tonight. Manuel always tends to play the rookie on the first day they arrive so they don't have a chance to even think or get nervous.

Jerry Manuel will not be in the dugout tonite.

kermittheefrog
05-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Jerry Manuel will not be in the dugout tonite.

It is still Jerry's lineup card to fill out.

MHOUSE
05-23-2003, 03:41 PM
I like that the Sox made a move to fix a problem that they have. I don't like that a guy hitting .220 or whatever in AAA is the solution. I think Gary Matthews Jr. would've been a much better upgrade/solution. While this is an obvious defensive improvement since he's a) an outfielder and b) has played CF before, I have a feeling the offensive struggles will be the same. The AAA Tigers are the best team to getting going against tho. Here's to success with Joe and the Borchard era! :gulp:

MHOUSE
05-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Another question....when Harris' DL stint is up what will they do? Keep them both and demote Sanders or demote Harris or release Rick White? I guess if Borchard flops then he will go down again huh?

Iguana775
05-23-2003, 03:59 PM

LOL....That's no ****. :=D

FarmerAndy
05-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
The AAA Tigers are the best team to getting going against tho.

We're playing the Toledo Mud Hens tonight???

RKMeibalane
05-23-2003, 04:22 PM
As bad as the offense has been, it's possible that Borchard may wind up leading the team in homeruns.

Just kidding.

T Dog
05-23-2003, 04:49 PM

From an offensive standpoint, I hope this works out - but my instincts say it won't. I think Gary Mathews would be a better bet right now. If nothing else, because he would provide two chances to get things right.

It seems strange to me to be promoting a struggling player. Maybe it'll spark him to play better, or maybe it'll spark the team. I have a feeling though that he's going to swing for the fences and strike out a lot. And that's something this team certianly doesn't need.

The initial reports I heard about Borchard -- from a Sox guy about the time we traded Sirotka for Wells -- indicated that he might be destined for 1B or DH. When I saw him with the Sox in September, I was most impressed with his speed. He looks like he can play the field. If you're looking at upside, you could do worse than having a speedy switch-hitting CF with power who strikes out a lot. At least one HOFer comes to mind.

I don't think Borchard is ready. I would rather see Rowand until Borchard starts hitting again. Fortunately, he'll be working with the same coach he worked with last season and in Tucson. If Borchard is here, he has to play CF, and I hope he does a great job.

lowesox
05-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Even though I have my doubts I think it would be awesome to have a bottom three of Borchard, Crede and Olivo. The future. And I think that's what JM will do too. Putting Borchard in the middle of the order, while it makes sense from a left/right standpoint, might be putting a little too much pressure on.

hold2dibber
05-23-2003, 04:58 PM
It seems pretty clear to me that Borchard is not MLB-ready. He hasn't hit a lick in a bandbox stadium in AAA this year; it seems unlikely that facing MLB pitching is going to improve his hitting. The big question in my mind is whether he's the kind of guy who can deal with failure. If he's the kind of guy who will lose his confidence when he struggles, than this is a bad move. If he's the kind of guy that won't let it get him down and can actually learn from the experience, this is a good move (because he can't be worse offensively than what we've been getting and because he's fast and because he's left-handed).

hose
05-23-2003, 05:02 PM
For the total lack of offensive production and the terrible defense play that the Sox have gotten out of center field so far this year, Joe Borchard can only be a improvement.

ChiSoxBobette
05-23-2003, 05:13 PM
According to whitesox.com Joe Borchard was brought up today and will be available tonight vs. the tiggers.
Go Big Joe !

:)

pudge
05-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Get ready for some Light Tower Power... Borchard called up for Harris - at least it'll give us something interesting to watch.

SoxxoS
05-23-2003, 06:49 PM
His numbers at AAA I wouldn't worry about too much-

I am sure the Sox had him working on shortening his swing, which can lead to disaster each at bat. Couple that with wrist tendenitis, you got a .225 BA.

Let him swing like he is used to, and evaluate him in a couple of months. I can live with the strikeouts if he his 20-30 homeruns. The plate discipline will/should come with age anyway. Let him play the next few week like he wants, and lets see what we got.

TRL
05-23-2003, 07:59 PM
It's a good move. Basically he can't be worse in center than Harris or Rios. I'd like to see his strikeouts go down, but you have to ask yourself on question....Would you want a guy like Adam Dunn on your team. Strikes out a lot, but also drives in a lot of runs. That's the big thing. If he strikes out with nobody on big deal as long as he gets a hit with a guy on third.

Somewhere I can hear Hawk saying: "Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it."

MHOUSE
05-23-2003, 10:56 PM
0-3 3K tonight. :whiner:

Bucktown
05-24-2003, 12:07 AM
0-3 3K tonight. :whiner:
No DPs, that is an improvement!

harwar
05-24-2003, 12:28 PM
I guess i'm the only one who thinks this is a REALLY bad move.Borchard should be in AA learning how to hit,then MAYBE AAA.Hes' just going to get totally frustrated uphere.He looks to me to be one of those guys that are going to take time to learn and pushing him will just hurt him.

MHOUSE
05-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Well he's the only player available who can play CF. I can't stand them calling Harris a centerfielder. It's ridiculous.

lowesox
05-24-2003, 06:23 PM
Well he's the only player available who can play CF. I can't stand them calling Harris a centerfielder. It's ridiculous.

Sorry but I agree with HarWar. Judging by our team's pathetic performance, wins this season no longer matter. Will Joe Borchard help us win now? I doubt it. I think we should have left him in the minors for another year or two.

Lets face it folks: we're headed for a rebuilding process. So rushing Borchard makes absolutely no sense.

If I'm Reinsdorf, I'd try to think up a publicity stunt. Maybe we could get a Golden Retriever to play center? Does anybody know if any of the Superdogs can catch?

Daver
05-24-2003, 06:27 PM

If I'm Reinsdorf, I'd try to think up a publicity stunt. Maybe we could get a Golden Retriever to play center? Does anybody know if any of the Superdogs can catch?

:chopper