PDA

View Full Version : Orioles release Matthews Jr.

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 10:29 PM
The Orioles released Gary Matthews Jr. today according to Gammons on Baseball Tonight. He's an available centerfielder. His offensive stats aren't great, but he's more experienced there than Rowand or Harris (ha!) and would be a great cheap pickup. Wake up Kenny!

Matthews Jr. stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6241)

Also, Yankees are desperately looking for bullpen help. Any chance we could shop them Gordon, White, or Glover?

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-22-2003, 10:42 PM
sounds good to me if jr is willing to pay.

AngelLeroy
05-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Matthews is decent, with a suprising amount of power, and is pretty fast. His defense would be a step up from what we have now, although like Rios he gets bad jumps sometimes. He does have speed to make up for it though. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a short-term solution for only $238,000 or so (I think that's what he was making). And who knows, maybe a change of scenery would help him. Maybe put Harris on the DL for a while, release White, or send Sanders down to make room for him. This is a move I could see the Sox making because he is cheap. He'd be good insurance in case Rowand never hits again, or if Borchard isn't ready for another year or so.

hose
05-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
The Orioles released Gary Matthews Jr. today according to Gammons on Baseball Tonight. He's an available centerfielder. His offensive stats aren't great, but he's more experienced there than Rowand or Harris (ha!) and would be a great cheap pickup. Wake up Kenny!

Matthews Jr. stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6241)

Also, Yankees are desperately looking for bullpen help. Any chance we could shop them Gordon, White, or Glover?

I was thinking about the possibility of trading for Matthews when the O's were in town.

Desperation move , but we need help in CF right now, sign Matthews immediately

MRKARNO
05-22-2003, 10:58 PM
He would most certainly be a good, reliable answer to the center field question until Borchard or Harris can prove that they should be up here

Jjav829
05-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Hes starting in center for the Orioles tonight. I think he was placed on waivers, not released.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-22-2003, 11:05 PM
I think this is a real stretch. We are looking for someone who can handle the defense and be a decent hitter, preferably left handed. Matthews, JR is a career .233 hitter with a career OPS of .685. Granted he is a switch hitter, but how well does he do from the left side? He was also only averaging .200 this year, with no stolen bases and three caught stealings.

On the other hand, Rowand is a career .252 hitter with an OPS of .685, also.

Bottom line, he is not the guy were looking for. If we want defense, Rowand can do it just as good as Matthews, Jr. Matthews, Jr would be more of the same problem we already have.

lowesox
05-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I think this is a real stretch. We are looking for someone who can handle the defense and be a decent hitter, preferably left handed. Matthews, JR is a career .233 hitter with a career OPS of .685. Granted he is a switch hitter, but how well does he do from the left side? He was also only averaging .200 this year, with no stolen bases and three caught stealings.

On the other hand, Rowand is a career .252 hitter with an OPS of .685, also.

Bottom line, he is not the guy were looking for. If we want defense, Rowand can do it just as good as Matthews, Jr. Matthews, Jr would be more of the same problem we already have.

PLEASE! This team is desperate for a CF. Matthews is a good one who hasn't played that way. And he has a very high ceiling. If he's available to the Sox its a no-brainer.

GET HIM!

This could be huge. It almost sounds too perfect.

MRKARNO
05-22-2003, 11:35 PM
It's funny how no major media outlet reported this so far. I know he was just placed on the DL. Can we really trust Boston Gammons?

:boston

"The White Sox have placed Right fielder Magglio Ordoņez on waivers today..."

Jjav829
05-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It's funny how no major media outlet reported this so far. I know he was just placed on the DL. Can we really trust Boston Gammons?

I'm not surprised. I don't think major media outlets are really jumping to report that Gary Matthews Jr. has been placed on waivers. Don't get your hopes up. They are most likely just hoping he clears waivers so they can send him down to the minors.

MHOUSE
05-23-2003, 12:22 AM

IIRC it was Jerry Hairston Jr. who was placed on the DL recently, not Gary Matthews Jr.

DL article (http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bal/news/bal_news.jsp?ymd=20030521&content_id=330575&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal)

Tragg
05-23-2003, 12:31 AM
To hell with Matthews - another mediocre ball player we do not need.
Call up Borachard. Tell him at the plate that his first goal is to walk, so he can develop some patience; teach him to bunt, to hit sac flies, etc. - learn how to play the game (I know, that's what he should be doing in the minors) - point is, his offense isn't where it needs to be, but, if he can do a few things well and has a few successes to start, it shouldn't rob him of his confidence. Meanwhile, we get some competent D that we sorely need without having to pick up yet another crappy veteran.

HITMEN OF 77
05-23-2003, 01:40 AM
Matthews will be another headache and we don't need one of those right now. We need to do something, but there's not much out there in the way of CF's right now. Where's Lance Johnson??

Dan Gelo
05-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Kenny Lofton is hitting 300 for the Pirates :cool:

WhiteSoxWinner
05-23-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
PLEASE! This team is desperate for a CF. Matthews is a good one who hasn't played that way. And he has a very high ceiling. If he's available to the Sox its a no-brainer.

GET HIM!

This could be huge. It almost sounds too perfect.

Huh? If we are going to bring a guy who hasn't lived up to potential to date, let's bring back Rowand. He costs less. Matthews Jr. has NEVER played to potential and 700 more MLB at bats to prove it. Nope, if you are getting desparate enough to call in Junior Matthews, give Rowand another shot first.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-23-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Dan Gelo

As one of the greats once said, "Regrets. I have a few.."

MRKARNO
05-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
IIRC it was Jerry Hairston Jr. who was placed on the DL recently, not Gary Matthews Jr.

DL article (http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bal/news/bal_news.jsp?ymd=20030521&content_id=330575&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal)

yep, sorry bout that folks

oldcomiskey
05-23-2003, 09:11 AM

Sox fans dont like him--hes got----whispers--a bad attitude---....kinda like the way yall are jumping on the foulke bandwagon

34 Inch Stick
05-23-2003, 09:20 AM
The guy I wouldn't mine from the O's is Melvin Mora. He can play short and center well and can hit .280. He is like Willie Harris with ability.

What are the thoughts on the Singleton for Harris trade now?

Jjav829
05-23-2003, 09:21 AM

Yeah, and you actually think he'll keep it up? He fooled us last year by doing this.

hold2dibber
05-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The guy I wouldn't mine from the O's is Melvin Mora. He can play short and center well and can hit .280. He is like Willie Harris with ability.

What are the thoughts on the Singleton for Harris trade now?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Mora is cheap, he's got a bit of pop (19 HRs last year, 5 already this year), gets on base at a decent clip (.341 career OBP, .420 OBP this year so far), can play CF and SS, and can swipe an occassional base (16 last year). Unfortunately, he hits right-handed, and I have no idea how good (or bad) he is defensively. But he certainly is better than the crap we've been sending out to CF on a nightly basis so far. I'm guessing a few B level type prospects would be enough to get him from the Orioles (maybe a Mario Valenzuela/Dennis Ulacia combo or something like that). Hell, I'd be willing to move Ginter or Sanders for him, if that's what it took.

Dadawg_77
05-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Yeah, and you actually think he'll keep it up? He fooled us last year by doing this.

If he doesn't tweak his hammy he might. That was what killed him last year.

MHOUSE
05-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829

This is true. Once we stopped winning, then he stopped playing and the injury bug bit him. He's not worth trading for or paying. Made a great running catch in the Cubs game last night to rob Goodwin of a hit.

Hangar18
05-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
Sox fans dont like him--hes got----whispers--a bad attitude---....kinda like the way yall are jumping on the foulke bandwagon

Keith Foulke was a clubhouse cancer....

just kidding. thats what the media would say...
but now that hes doing well, the media is gently ripping the Sox for trading him.

MarkEdward
05-23-2003, 12:26 PM
And a player with a .250 OBP would help our offensive woes how...?

TheBigHurt
05-23-2003, 03:53 PM
:boston

"The White Sox have placed Right fielder Magglio Ordoņez on waivers today..."

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO....I was waitin for this day for it seems forever, ohhh Pete, I never get tired of you, lets go :gulp: sometime BE GOOD

Rocklive99
05-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Did you guys watch the same series against the O's that I did? Matthews looked horrible in CF to me. I've seen him bobble a bunch a balls and let catchable balls drop in front of him. I'd rather have Daubach in center

Champ Summers
05-23-2003, 04:06 PM
The Padres picked up Matthews on waivers today...so ends the speculation...

lowesox
05-23-2003, 04:45 PM
If I have waiver rules correct, that means that the first available team selected him. Interesting.