PDA

View Full Version : Who are they kidding?

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Chimp Carey was raving about Joe Nobody Borowski. He's comparing him to Smoltz and Gagne saying that he's getting up there in their caliber and coming around to that type of guy for the Cubs. Please! This guy has Cubbie Koolaid through an IV I swear. Holy Cow!

Borowski 1-0 2.05 ERA 22 games 22IP 8 saves 2 BSV

Gagne 0-1 1.80 ERA 23 games 25IP 18 saves 0 BSV (27 straight)

Smoltz 0-0 1.08 ERA 23 games 25IP 18 saves 1 BSV

RKMeibalane
05-22-2003, 10:40 PM
It is statements such as this that lead me to believe the apocolypse is drawing near. Chip Carey is an idiot. The only reason he has a job as a play-by-play announcer is becasue he is Haray Carey's grandson.

Hangar18
05-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Reason 23,434 why I hate the Cubs. Problem is, now flub fans are going to hear him say that, and tomorrow morning, thats all theyre going to talk about, about how Boreowski is of the same cloth as Gagne and Smoltz (notice how he dared not mention any American League relievers)

Tragg
05-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Chip Carey emulates his father, Skip - the man who probably created more braves haters than anyone for the exact same kind of crap - overhype, sneering arrogance, etc.

He should emulate his grandfather, who was one of the greats of all time.

Harry - Hall of Fame

Skimp and Chimp - completely forgettable after their careers are over.

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Skimp and Chimp - completely forgettable after their careers are over.

The sooner the better. Hopefully they don't last nearly as long as "Ha-ha-Harey Ca-ca-rey from Wrigley Field."

kermittheefrog
05-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Chimp Carey was raving about Joe Nobody Borowski. He's comparing him to Smoltz and Gagne saying that he's getting up there in their caliber and coming around to that type of guy for the Cubs. Please! This guy has Cubbie Koolaid through an IV I swear. Holy Cow!

Anyone else notice Gagne has 45 Ks in 25 innings? Thats ridiculous.

Hangar18
05-22-2003, 11:33 PM
On one hand, when you take away the Caffeine and Sugar from Chimp, he sounds knowledgable, well-spoken, and just a hint of being likable. But, put a cubbie tv crewneck on him, and he becomes a blabbering buffoon who exaggerates everything from line drives to strikeouts. Hes cumbersome and annoying to listen to. Hes kind of like Living next door the "L". You hate the noise, but after a while, you just tune it out. Chip = Buffoon

Tragg
05-22-2003, 11:35 PM
The games are more tolerable now that the competent stone is back, replacing Joe Carter. How did that come about anyway?

Hangar18
05-22-2003, 11:43 PM
OH....and on a Side Note. Anyone seen this commercial yet?
The White Sox are playing the Dodgers in INterleague Play in a couple weeks. Its a significant game in a historical context because the SOX havnt seen the LA Dodgers since the 1959 World Series, which by the way, was the last time the Sox were in one of those things. There have been no commecials hyping it, and FOX has gone out of its way to attach NO SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE to this Series. ON THE OTHER HAND....
FOX has a SERIES of commercials out now...showing Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Old Yankee Stadium, Current and other Old Yankee Greats, the History of the Yanks, then......showing Current and Old Cub Players....the ivy, Kerry wood, ernie banks, the players who were in the world series back then when the yanks and flubs met. THe Commercial goes something like "years in the making" "first meeting in DECADES, making it like this is a WORLD SERIES, the series being of Historical Magnitude, Flaunting the Fact the the series is SOLD OUT, but you can watch on FOX!!!!!! Do you see why I hate the Media so much?
one series more important than the other? BULLJIVE. :angry:
who said the Media wasnt Biased against the Sox??? Who said that?

Daver
05-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Paranoia is a virtue.

:)

doublem23
05-22-2003, 11:59 PM
I guarantee that if you walked around the streets of Chicago, maybe 3 out of 10 could tell you the Sox and Dodgers played in the 1959 World Series. On the other hand, everyone knows the Yankees and Wrigley Field.

AngelLeroy
05-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Joe Borowski certainly is nowhere near Gagné and Smoltz. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all of his saves are against teams like Milwaukee and the Pirates. Even Koch at his worst this year could save games against teams like that. (see: Detroit) I'd also bet that his blown saves are against good teams, like maybe the Expos or Cardinals.

Every day I think more and more that the Tribune-owned Cubs are the worst thing that's ever happened to baseball.

WhiteSox = Life
05-23-2003, 12:50 AM
That's a very good point regarding the hype and quite ridiculous.

The last time the Cubs and Yankees met was in the 1938 World Series. Guess who won in four games?

Cubs will be lucky to score more than 6 runs that series and even come within three of winning at any game's end.

The media, i.e. the Chicago Newspapers, Fox, etc. would promulgate a three-game series between the Cubs and the Tigers like both teams were going to the World Series.

Imagine, if you will, this commercial being run non-stop:

"The Cubs. The Tigers. In the 1907 and 1908 Fall Classics, the Cubbies played two, beating the Cats and capturing their first two World Series titles. In 1935 and 1945, the Tigers took two back. Watch these climactic clashes of cataclysmic quantities between the two mighty teams of warriors on WGN Friday, Fox' Game of the Week on Saturday, and on the ESPN Sunday Night Game! If you miss even one second of any of these three sure-to-be spectacular games, you can't consider yourself to even be a fraction of a sports fan!"

AngelLeroy
05-23-2003, 01:06 AM
You forgot one thing about Cubs vs. Tigers:

"Now watch as 'The Horn' and Hiram Bocachica match strikeout for strikeout as the two teams fight for the right to be called the absolute worst team of the past 5 years!"

:)

Blueprint1
05-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Please you know to annoy the heck out of us the Cubs will win at least one game in that series on some fluke play. I can see the sports headline in the Trib "Yankees defeated by mighty cub"

34 Inch Stick
05-23-2003, 08:12 AM
How do you say without the caffiene Chimp sounds knowledgeabel and likable.

That guy has got to be the jivest person under the age of 45. He's like Danny in Caddyshack when he is buttering up Mrs. Shmeals. The guy only plays to the over 60 crowd. I imagine he has very few friends of his own. He spent too much time trying to be liked by his father and grandfather's friends he never learned to relate with people his own age.

The great thing about Harry was that his style was conversational. If you saw him on the street he would be speaking the same way he did on the air. Chimp? Everything is forced. The language that he uses is outdated. He has that announcers voice made famous in this town by Chet Coppock. I don't trust his opinion.

Hangar18
05-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I guarantee that if you walked around the streets of Chicago, maybe 3 out of 10 could tell you the Sox and Dodgers played in the 1959 World Series. On the other hand, everyone knows the Yankees and Wrigley Field.

Of course, now that the FOX Network has bombarded/saturated/advertised the heck out of this "Historic" series to the whole Midwest Region, Of Course every cub fan is gonna know this "fact". I GUARANTEE YOU, if FOX hadnt Put out the Propoganda Campaign, I couldve Walked the Streets of Chicago, and NOT A SINGLE PERSON 0 out of 10 wouldve known the Yankees played the Cubs a long time ago. Cub fans are probably going to think the Yankees used to play the cubs all the time in the NL too thanks to FOX.....

Hangar18
05-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
How do you say without the caffiene Chimp sounds knowledgeabel and likable.

That guy has got to be the jivest person under the age of 45. He's like Danny in Caddyshack when he is buttering up Mrs. Shmeals. The guy only plays to the over 60 crowd. I imagine he has very few friends of his own. He spent too much time trying to be liked by his father and grandfather's friends he never learned to relate with people his own age.

The great thing about Harry was that his style was conversational. If you saw him on the street he would be speaking the same way he did on the air. Chimp? Everything is forced. The language that he uses is outdated. He has that announcers voice made famous in this town by Chet Coppock. I don't trust his opinion.

LMAO

Hangar18
05-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Please you know to annoy the heck out of us the Cubs will win at least one game in that series on some fluke play. I can see the sports headline in the Trib "Yankees defeated by mighty cub"

Are you Kidding, the Trib will have this Series FRONT PAGE all weekend, and the SunTimes, not to be outdone, will have a SPECIAL COMMERATIVE SOUVENIR WRAPAROUND SECTION, detailing the "GLORIOUS HISTORY" of both clubs. The cubs, in a unique brand of Marketing, will simply "Associate" their names together.....yankees/cubs......cubs/yankees so the consumer associates the names together, next thing you think, wow, these must be champions. I call this brand of Cub Marketing "Coattail Marketing". Mark this down.

Bobby Thigpen
05-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Chip is extremely annoying, and I think that I may hate Stone even more than I did having to listen to Carter, but Borrowski isn't to bad. He certainly isn't on the level of the closers that Chip mentioned him with, but he's certainly a heck of a lot better than White, Gordon, or take your pick of Sox relievers besides Marte. He certainly is a much better option out of the pen than Alfonseca. That guy is one of the worst relievers I have ever seen. Besides that he's a nutcase. Not funny nutty like Turk Wendell was, but nutty like chop of his testicles nutty.

moochpuppy
05-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Flaunting the Fact the the series is SOLD OUT,

That's because the Cubs "ticket broker" is holding all the good seats ransom for the low price of $1,500.00 a piece.

RKMeibalane
05-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

That's true. My roommate during my freshman year was a Cubs fan. He never hesitated to bring up the fact that "the Cubs were the last team to reach the World Series." I'll never forget the look on his face when I finally told him the truth. He was... STUNNED.

TornLabrum
05-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
The games are more tolerable now that the competent stone is back, replacing Joe Carter. How did that come about anyway?

Someoen from Tribune management accidentally turned on Channel 9 during a Cubs game and actually heard Joe Carter.

Vsahajpal
05-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

He said if he continues to pitch like he has, he'll get the recognition of guys like Smoltz and Gagne.

Top 30 relievers in baseball...I'm sure it'll surprise some of you

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/current/rrereport03.html