PDA

View Full Version : WCR: Abandon Ship

Mammoo
05-22-2003, 03:06 PM
When Captain Edward Smith surveyed the damaged Titanic after his famous encounter with the iceberg, he ordered the lifeboats to be lowered, correctly surmising that his ship had met its match. Contrary to the popular joke, he did not order all deck chairs to be rearranged.

Finding himself in similar circumstances to poor captain Smith, Sox GM Kenny Williams is doing just that. In the wake of his teams three game embarrassment at the hands of the Twins, he fired hitting coach Gary Ward.

"We felt the need for a change and a different voice in an effort to get our offense jump-started," said Captain Williams. "We continue to think very highly of Gary Ward and hope he has a major-league job again soon."

Thereís no question that the White Sox are majorly disappointing at the dish but they are equally inept in the field and when toeing the rubber. If not for the superb season being turned in by Esteban Loaiza, this team wouldnít be within squinting distance of the lead. Furthermore, the list of batting coaches utilized has reached comical proportions; Ron Jackson, Von Joshua, Bill Buckner, Walt Hriniak, Gary Ward and now Greg Walker. The one constant through this parade of hitting gurus is Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel. These are the deck chairs that need serious rearranging.

For his part, former Sox first baseman Walker isnít predicting a quick turnaround to the teams hitting problems.

''There's a lot of hard work to be put in; we have to spend a lot of hours in the cage. That's where a hitting coach gets to know the players, and you have to know them to be able to talk to them. That's where relationships are built, when they know me and I know them.''

Showing poorly in all phases of the game, the White Sox have amassed a miserable record against winning teams. A bumbling defense and ineffective relief pitching are just as culpable as wayward batsmen. Itís going to take a lot more than the addition of Greg Walker to salvage this sinking ship.

gosox41
05-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
When Captain Edward Smith surveyed the damaged Titanic after his famous encounter with the iceberg, he ordered the lifeboats to be lowered, correctly surmising that his ship had met its match. Contrary to the popular joke, he did not order all deck chairs to be rearranged.

Finding himself in similar circumstances to poor captain Smith, Sox GM Kenny Williams is doing just that. In the wake of his teams three game embarrassment at the hands of the Twins, he fired hitting coach Gary Ward.

"We felt the need for a change and a different voice in an effort to get our offense jump-started," said Captain Williams. "We continue to think very highly of Gary Ward and hope he has a major-league job again soon."

Thereís no question that the White Sox are majorly disappointing at the dish but they are equally inept in the field and when toeing the rubber. If not for the superb season being turned in by Esteban Loaiza, this team wouldnít be within squinting distance of the lead. Furthermore, the list of batting coaches utilized has reached comical proportions; Ron Jackson, Von Joshua, Bill Buckner, Walt Hriniak, Gary Ward and now Greg Walker. The one constant through this parade of hitting gurus is Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel. These are the deck chairs that need serious rearranging.

For his part, former Sox first baseman Walker isnít predicting a quick turnaround to the teams hitting problems.

''There's a lot of hard work to be put in; we have to spend a lot of hours in the cage. That's where a hitting coach gets to know the players, and you have to know them to be able to talk to them. That's where relationships are built, when they know me and I know them.''

Showing poorly in all phases of the game, the White Sox have amassed a miserable record against winning teams. A bumbling defense and ineffective relief pitching are just as culpable as wayward batsmen. Itís going to take a lot more than the addition of Greg Walker to salvage this sinking ship.

That's for sure. I'm afraid the ship won't be rgihted until KW is fired.

Bob

moochpuppy
05-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Showing poorly in all phases of the game, the White Sox have amassed a miserable record against winning teams. A bumbling defense and ineffective relief pitching are just as culpable as wayward batsmen. Itís going to take a lot more than the addition of Greg Walker to salvage this sinking ship. [/B]

Jerry Manuel, the iceberg, needs to be melted.

MarqSox
05-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Furthermore, the list of batting coaches utilized has reached comical proportions; Ron Jackson, Von Joshua, Bill Buckner, Walt Hriniak, Gary Ward and now Greg Walker. The one constant through this parade of hitting gurus is Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel.

For the sake of accuracy, Hriniak was long gone before the Manuel era, and I believe the same can be said for Buckner. Jackson was gone (or at least on his way out) before Williams took over.

That said, your point is well taken.

Hangar18
05-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Maybe things will come FULL CIRCLE, and we'll realize Hriniak was the right guy All Along........

MarqSox
05-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Maybe things will come FULL CIRCLE, and we'll realize Hriniak was the right guy All Along........

Hriniak's hitting style is horrible, and it's only a fluke that it works so well for Thomas. Hriniak has the players place most of their weight on the front foot, which makes it impossible to generate power from the lower part of your body. It means you're solely using your arms, which means 1) smaller guys have no chance, and 2) you get killed on breaking pitches. The reason the Blue Jays completely shut down the Sox in the 93 ALCS is because they threw nothing but breaking pitches. Look at the tapes, the Sox are all off balance, and when they did make contact, it was usually weakly hit.

Mammoo
05-22-2003, 04:44 PM
I guess what I was trying to say is that our heroes have had a steady parade of hitting coaches come through town which is unusual for a team that is supposedly strong offensively.

I included Hriniak because he's on call for Big Frank and has been utilized recently.

Thanks for the input. It's always appreciated! :smile: