PDA

View Full Version : BA and the draft...

MarkEdward
05-22-2003, 01:37 PM
It's in the pay part of their site, but Baseball America did a rough sketch of the first round of the draft. I won't give away too much info, but they have the Sox taking Brian Anderson, a corner outfielder from Arizona. Other possibilities include Anthony Gwynn, Brad Snyder, and Mitch Maier. I'd love to have either Snyder or Maier.

gosox41
05-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
It's in the pay part of their site, but Baseball America did a rough sketch of the first round of the draft. I won't give away too much info, but they have the Sox taking Brian Anderson, a corner outfielder from Arizona. Other possibilities include Anthony Gwynn, Brad Snyder, and Mitch Maier. I'd love to have either Snyder or Maier.

They'll bring in the cheapest option.

I think BA should be looking at the list of 4th OFers and middle relievers to see who the Sox are going to draft. There was a decent 4th OF'er on my cousings HS team, maybe he'll be available in the first round.

Bob

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Another corner outfielder? Why not a center fielder? What's the deal with this Rule 5 stuff? The Brewers have like 3 players on their roster whom they risk losing if they don't stay on the MLB roster. They go back to another team? How does that work? Is it just drafting rights and a bunch of teams have an order of preference on signing them? There has to be a quick article to link to.

MarkEdward
05-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Another corner outfielder?

Another? Jeremy Reed is the only worthwhile corner outfielder in our system.

Why not a center fielder?

We already have Joe Borchard and Anthony Webster.

What's the deal with this Rule 5 stuff? The Brewers have like 3 players on their roster whom they risk losing if they don't stay on the MLB roster. They go back to another team? How does that work? Is it just drafting rights and a bunch of teams have an order of preference on signing them? There has to be a quick article to link to.

Here's a quick overview (although someone else can explain this much better): After three or four years in the minors, a player must be on his team's 40 man roster. If not, he is eligible for the draft.

If that player is drafted by another team during the Rule 5 draft, then he must remain on that team's major league roster for the entire season. If not, he goes back to his original team.

Here's a primer on the whole thing.
http://tinyurl.com/cg69

Randar68
05-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Another? Jeremy Reed is the only worthwhile corner outfielder in our system.

Reed is a CF'er.

rdivaldi
05-23-2003, 01:33 PM
What we really need to draft is the best SS or 1B available. With Alex Gonzalez struggling in Low A ball, there really isn't much else in our system besides the decidedly mediocre Mike Morse. 1B is pretty ugly as well.

I've always been for drafting pitchers early and often, but the amount of hitters in our farm system is dwindling.

MHOUSE
05-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Here's a quick overview (although someone else can explain this much better): After three or four years in the minors, a player must be on his team's 40 man roster. If not, he is eligible for the draft.

If that player is drafted by another team during the Rule 5 draft, then he must remain on that team's major league roster for the entire season. If not, he goes back to his original team.
Here's a primer on the whole thing.

http://tinyurl.com/cg69

Thanks M.E.

Juan Pizarro
05-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Good synopsis of Rule 5, although players don't necessecarily "go back" to their prior team if taken off the 25-man roster. They are offered back to the previous team for half the Rule 5 price; the original team doesn't have to take the player.