PDA

View Full Version : Where's our Center Fielder?

lowesox
05-21-2003, 11:06 PM
We have no Center Fielder anywhere in our organization. We have several LFs, and RFs - and a CF prospect, but no CF. Willie Harris certainly isn't a major league CF, and Rios is a good backup outfielder thats it. How can a major league GM let that happen and keep his job? Talk about tying your manager's hands.

I don't care who it is, this team needs to go out and get themselves a major leauge caliber CF. And do it quickly.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Maybe we could get an ad on the side of milk carton with a picture of Kenny Lofton. Have you seen our CF?

Any suggestions as to who to go after? I rejected the idea of Carlos Guillen in another thread, but who else is out there? A pipe dream would be Brian Giles, but that won't happen. I think we will have to wait until the end of June when teams know they are truly out of it, and we get back in it. Won't make any difference if we get a CF if we are out of the race at the end of June.

Hopefully, these last two are part of a bigger turnaround!

Lip Man 1
05-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Did you read Ron Rappoport's column today in the Sun Times?

Lofton has the longest hitting streak in the N.L. so far this year.

Typical Sox luck isn't it?

Lip

jeremyb1
05-21-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
We have no Center Fielder anywhere in our organization. We have several LFs, and RFs - and a CF prospect, but no CF. Willie Harris certainly isn't a major league CF, and Rios is a good backup outfielder thats it. How can a major league GM let that happen and keep his job? Talk about tying your manager's hands.

I don't care who it is, this team needs to go out and get themselves a major leauge caliber CF. And do it quickly.

this isn't the white sox problem, its a problem that belongs to the entire major leagues. there's a huge shortage of centerfielders out there these days. most teams either have a guy who can't hit like singleton or a corner outfielder like maggs in center.

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 12:28 AM
I doubt we'll be able to make a good trade for a CF. First of all we need to contend, secondly KW is a moron, and thirdly it's tough to say there anyone out there to go after.

HITMEN OF 77
05-22-2003, 01:44 AM
Why did we get rid of Chris Singleton? He was decent, at least I thought so. Of course that's a couple of years gone now.

jeremyb1
05-22-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Why did we get rid of Chris Singleton? He was decent, at least I thought so. Of course that's a couple of years gone now.

singleton was a decent hitter who didn't walk. in retrospect his defense may have been more valuable than it seemed at the time but as a hitter he has no power and no on base skills so he wasn't worth much offensively.

lowesox
05-22-2003, 11:11 AM
If nothing else this team needs a guy like Brian Simmons who plays all out defense in CF. So that you can start a better offensive guy like Magglio, try to get a lead, then make defensive substitutions.

Right now, Willie Harris is a wasted roster spot. He can't hit. He doesn't play good defense. And he's fast, but never seems to steal.

I say we work the waiver wire, and free agent junk pile. There must be somebody who can play a competent CF that wouldn't require a large expenditure.

34 Inch Stick
05-22-2003, 11:14 AM
With Jermain Dye coming back and that guy Byrnes excelling, Singleton may be back on the market very soon. The question is do you want Kenny picking up the phone when Beane is on the other hand (by the way does Beane mention in his book that Kenny picked HIS pocket in the Olivo trade?).

brewcrew/chisox
05-22-2003, 11:27 AM
{/QUOTE]The question is do you want Kenny picking up the phone when Beane is on the other hand (by the way does Beane mention in his book that Kenny picked HIS pocket in the Olivo trade?). [/B][/QUOTE]

Beane is an egotistical moron who, in actuality, had only limited influence on the improvement of the A's. That whole thing about picking Kenny's pocket was ridiculous, and it appears that the sole intent of that book was to piss off the whole A's organization. If you were a scout for the A's how would you feel if some jagbag took complete credit for the talent eval of the big three in that rotation.

The problem with the centerfield position is the problem of the whole whitesox team: speed.

lowesox
05-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Here are a couple of junkpile players, which according to mlb.com play CF and aren't on any team. Maybe one of them would be a good Willie Harris replacement.

Adrian Brown
McKay Christianson (I never liked him, but might be the right kind of player)
Todd Dunnwoody
Chad Hermanson

Foulke You
05-22-2003, 02:41 PM
I have a feeling that Pittsburgh is going to make Kenny Lofton available come the trade deadline time if they are still battling it out with the Brewers for 5th place. The question is, will KW or Sox fans want to roll the dice on K-Lo again? Right now, I would feel much better if Lofton was still out there in CF regardless if he isn't the same Lofton from his Cleveland days. While you can't ignore Lofton's steady slide in May for the Sox last year, you also can't ignore what K-Lo can bring to the table. Gold Glove CF, great speed when healthy, decent leadoff man, and a good base stealer. Not sure what we would have to give up to get him but he looks like the most likely veteran CF "free agent to be" candidate to be dealt before the deadline. K-Lo is working with a 1 year deal I believe.

lowesox
05-22-2003, 04:22 PM
I really feel we can't wait to get a CF. This team has a major hole right now, that needs immediate fixing.

Maybe bringing Rowand back up might help. He wasn't playing that well but compared to Willie Harris he was a superstar.

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Harris is a total waste. If we were up 5-10 games then he's a great pinch runner, but if we're struggling to catch up then he's wasting a spot of this team. If we had a spot at 2nd for him then we might be able to develop him, but he's never going to be an MLB centerfielder. We need to fill this hole. At least Rowand can play defense.