PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans 2003.....Titanic?

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Someone brought up a good point yesterday, Brian26 I believe.
Wondered why everyone was abandoning Ship already. I wrote
this season off pretty much, but i'll be there tonite to cheer them on. I heard something peculiar today though, hence this thread....couple of guys I work with, Sox Fans, said TODAY, theyre givng the Sox 10 Days to get to .500. Or else theyre cheering the cubs the rest of the year. My jaw dropped then I thought, this isnt so crazy. when the sox were doing good back in 94, I'll bet there were a few cub refugees on our side.
Question. (I know my answer. NEVER) Is there a point to give up and cheer for the other guys? I hate putting this out there...

LauraJ14
05-21-2003, 05:17 PM
NEVER will I jump on the Cubs bandwagon.
I think I would root for the Twinkies before I root for the Cubs!

FarmerAndy
05-21-2003, 05:24 PM
I think the exact oppposite way. I don't mind if the Cubs play well when the Sox are also playing well. I think it's great if both teams are good.

But, I absolutely hate it when the Sox are bad and the Cubs are good, 'cause I never hear the end of it. It's like salt in the wound.

siugrad25
05-21-2003, 05:27 PM
I will NEVER root for the Cubs. I don't care if I'm 1,300 miles away right now. They'll be no Dusty backing, no Sammy loving, no Wrigley gloating for me EVER. I had my share of being a Cub fan when I was a kid, and I'm glad somebody took the blindfold off my eyes years ago.

As for the White Sox and being on a sinking ship, no matter how bad they played thus far, what's amazing is that they're only 5 1/2 back pending today's Twins game... So I'm not ready to jump!!! Just have my lifejacket handy in case.

TornLabrum
05-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
I will NEVER root for the Cubs. I don't care if I'm 1,300 miles away right now. They'll be no Dusty backing, no Sammy loving, no Wrigley gloating for me EVER. I had my share of being a Cub fan when I was a kid, and I'm glad somebody took the blindfold off my eyes years ago.

As for the White Sox and being on a sinking ship, no matter how bad they played thus far, what's amazing is that they're only 5 1/2 back pending today's Twins game... So I'm not ready to jump!!! Just have my lifejacket handy in case.

The Sox have always been my #1 team, but for about 40 years, I also had the misfortune of rooting for the Cubs as my second club. I gave that up about 8 years ago when I decided the Sox had more of a commitment to winning than the Cubs did.

Even though that opinion is no longer operative, I will never ever go back to the Dark Side.

harwar
05-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Win or lose;sink or swim i'll always follow the White Sox.However;Every year after the Sox drop out of contention9around the allstar break usually) i pick a team to root for that i feel not only has a chance to go all the way but is actually fun to watch(unlike the Sox who are mostly painful).2 out of the last 3 years the teams i picked won it all.This year i've already got 3 teams picked out and when the Sox are far enough back i'll narrow it to one.

Thunderstruck30
05-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25

Thats a great point. The Sox really arent doing all that bad standings wise despite the poor and unmotivated play so far.

sox_fan_forever
05-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Question. (I know my answer. NEVER) Is there a point to give up and cheer for the other guys? I hate putting this out there...

I would never, ever, ever root for the cubs. The Sox are my number one team. I am, however, considering picking a team that's fun to watch to follow for this year, as harwar does.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-21-2003, 10:01 PM
I have to echo a lot of what has already been said. I could NEVER root for the Cubs. Even if (god forbid) it was the Yanks and Cubs, I think I would just hope for an earthquake and demolish both teams!!

Just kidding, I would cheer for the Yankees. I have two favorite teams, the Sox and anyone playing the Cubs.

Brian26
05-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Someone brought up a good point yesterday, Brian26 I believe.
Wondered why everyone was abandoning Ship already. I wrote
this season off pretty much, but i'll be there tonite to cheer them on.

Yeah, that was me.

Damn, you picked a hell of a game to go to. Great comeback. Great tag by PK at the end to save the game for Koch. I went on Monday night for that horror show. At least they won the series! Nice way to bring home the rubber game, hangar.

hose
05-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Problem is Hangar that we left port thinking we were in the Bismark only to find out that it was more like the SS Minnow.

I'm not abandoning ship as long as there is a working deck gun.

Kilroy
05-22-2003, 07:11 AM
I am a long time Sox fan, and of course, I have spent most of that time cheering for the opponents of the Cubs as well. But, I have to admit that there's times when I cheer for the Cubs. They'll be playing the Yankees this summer, and I hate the Yankees, so GO Cubs ( wow, that felt wrong...)!! Or if they happen to be playing one of our division rivals, then I'll pull for them.

But I still hold the line and do not pull for the Cubs if they happen to be good and the Sox are out of it. I just can't do it. That may change if the Sox get to the series and win it, but otherwise, if one of the two teams is gonna go to the big dance, the Sox had better be the first one of them. I think I'd have to relocate if it went the other way. Can you imagine how much that would suck?

34 Inch Stick
05-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Me giving up on the season does not mean I give up on the Sox. I will still watch the games and root for my team. It just means I will not swear at the TV every time the other team scores a run. This ends up being good for family life.

gosox41
05-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Thats a great point. The Sox really arent doing all that bad standings wise despite the poor and unmotivated play so far.

But check out the strength of the schedule. The SOx have had it way easier so far. The schedule the rest of the way clearly favors the Twins. The Sox are now 4 1/2 out after playing a lot of weak teams. The Twins would have 11 losses if they didn't play the Yankees, and I'm pretty sure they're done with them for the season.

This talk reminds me of 1997. The Sox were "only" 3 1/2 games out, but they definitely weren't playing good baseball...far from it. Fans kept waiting for the team to start clicking and they never did.

Doesn't this scenario look familiar to anyone? While this team is not a 95 win team, they are definitely not as bad as they've been playing. They suck against above .500 teams and do OK against hte lousy one's.

Maybe things will change, but as I stated above, the schedule the rest of the way clearly favors Minnesota.

Bob