PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon....We MUST keep him


Hangar18
05-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Sox would be very stupid to just let him walk away after this year. This guy is excellent, and a savvy VETERAN. The way he got himself out of some jams yesterday, HAS to be of some importance in affecting the other pitchers on that staff. This team MUST stop looking at money in dictating the way they do things. It hasnt worked since they started this new policy shift began back in 1985. Since then, weve occasionally dipped into the FA market and made a Splash, exactly ONE TIME (1996 signing Belle, when that year, we needed another Pitcher, smart move) We really blew it by not Keeping David Wells, even when he said he would Play for Cheap, since he didnt give the Sox Fans what they were Expecting. That was Class all the way, and we had nothing to lose by keeping him. Except the 19 games he won last year. Nice Move Kenny. Imagine a Staff of

Buehrle L
Colon R
Wells L
Loiaza R
Garland, Wright, Rauch or whoever you wanted to take a chance on as your 5th Starter. This is the kind of Staff That Goes to The Playoffs. and Wins Games.

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 04:42 PM
we need to start behaving/Thinking like the Cubs. We need to act like a Giant Behemoth Corporation/Team with Money to Burn and go after all the weak sister/dying animal teams and Rip Them Off for whatever we can get away with, and have no Shame in doing so. We need to Identify the Weak, Dying, Poor, Pauper-Like, 3rd-world type teams and start Targeting Them and take their Riches for our own. To hell with Ethics, lets make something happen for us. Heres My List.

Florida Marlins. how stupid can this team continue to be.
We should trade for Lowell, because theres a ton of people interested in him. Maybe we can get someone even better for ourselves. lets be Players instead Spectators.

Tampa DRays. This team ranks right up there in stupidity and has a ton of 1st round talent that theyve drafted. Lets take something from them.

These are enough to work with. Kenny,, you owe me

FarmerAndy
05-21-2003, 04:43 PM
I'm with you.

I was talking with somebody about this today. It seems that when a team makes a big offseason move, that player is the first to go if the season doesn't go well. Even if the Sox decide to break up this team and try to build something else up, I think Colon is a great guy to build the staff around.

I don't have a salary list right now, but I'm sure Jose + Konerko = Colon. I would rather give up a couple of our overpaid, mediocre position players and keep Colon.

A guy like this doesn't come around very often, please don't let him go. Make him part of the foundation that we build around.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2003, 05:16 PM
It's so rare these days to find a pitcher who's capable of going nine innings every time out. Bartolo Colon is this type of pitcher, and he's definitely someone whom the Sox should make every effort to keep, even if it means trading Valentin, Lee, Konerko, or others. I've enjoyed following his progress the past few weeks. He has been dominant. The scary thing is, I think he's capable of pitching better than he has. Now, if I could only say the same about tonight's starter...

MarkEdward
05-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Florida Marlins. how stupid can this team continue to be.
We should trade for Lowell, because theres a ton of people interested in him. Maybe we can get someone even better for ourselves. lets be Players instead Spectators.

Tampa DRays. This team ranks right up there in stupidity and has a ton of 1st round talent that theyve drafted. Lets take something from them.

These are enough to work with. Kenny,, you owe me

1. Where would we play Lowell? He hasn't played anywhere except third base throughout his whole career, and last I checked, we have a third baseman.

2. Who would you suggest taking from Tampa? Their top players are all youngsters (Hall, Huff, Baldelli, Crawford, Kennedy), and the Rays probably won't give them up.

harwar
05-21-2003, 06:31 PM
If the Sox decide not to trade him before the deadline,i'll bet he leaves anyway.I've heard that the White Sox are not a team anyone wants to come to right now.Besides we all know he'll be a yankee next year as king george will decree it.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by harwar
If the Sox decide not to trade him before the deadline,i'll bet he leaves anyway.I've heard that the White Sox are not a team anyone wants to come to right now.Besides we all know he'll be a yankee next year as king george will decree it.

Harwar is correct. No one wants to come to sign with the Sox. Why? Because of the Chairman.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

Lip Man 1
05-21-2003, 10:23 PM
I agree with the previous posts, Uncle Jerry's ironclad policy is "no long term big money contracts for pitchers."

While he may be sound in his thinking from a medical standpoint the problem is the other 29 teams feel differently about pitching and bite the bullett when they have to.

This means all things being equal pitchers aren't going to sign with the Sox for two years when they can get four from someone else... even a BAD team.

Lip

MHOUSE
05-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Unless we can prove we want to/can win, then Colon will walk. To avoid a huge loss on this guy (unless we're contending at the break) then he's gone in a trade. Period. He's not going to resign with a .500 team (that won't pay big $$) or foundation a rebuild. Why would a great youngish pitcher in his prime stick around for a couple bad years and help rebuild when he could be winning championships with the Yankees? I would love to keep Colon as much as everyone, but I've come to realize it's a dream. He's another one-shot guy to take us over the top like Wells. Sorry to say.

hold2dibber
05-22-2003, 07:54 AM
I certainly think retaining Colon is a long shot, but if I'm running this team, I would be working my keister off right now trying to re-sign him. In light of the fact that neither Garland, Wright, nor Rauch has proven themselves to be no. 2 or 3 starters a the MLB level, the Sox '04 rotation, without Colon, is a total crap shoot. To the extent that Colon feels comfortable here, likes his teammates and thinks the team at least has a shot of contending, I see no reason why the Sox couldn't realistically takea shot at resigning him now. If it drags on and he's not signed by the end of the year, forget it -- he'll test the market and walk for sure. But right now, the Sox are the only available buyer. They should be doing their damnedest (sp?) to get him signed for the next 4 years or so.

Hangar18
05-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I certainly think retaining Colon is a long shot, but if I'm The Sox, they should be doing their damnedest (sp?) to get him signed for the next 4 years or so.

What bothers me is that they will follow the same script as usual, they'll trade him for "prospects", and then in year or two, when were getting better and were NEEDING an All Star type Caliber, dominant #1, type pitcher, who can dominate Hitters, and throw in the 90's late in the game, and can rest your bullpen (how many can we name, that we can just go out and get? How many of these pitchers just fall off a truck into our laps ala Prior?) were going to go after a Pitcher like this and OVERSPEND LATER, when we should get it CHEAPER NOW. JERRY, this type of PITCHER gets MORE EXPENSIVE as time goes on. Colon is more expensive on the Open Market than if he was already on your team Jerry You Jack Ass. Jerry, arent you tired of King George making you look like a Chump at this Game? STEP DOWN JERRY. THIS would be just another in the LONG LINE OF MISTAKES this teams made over and over again.

gosox41
05-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Sox would be very stupid to just let him walk away after this year. This guy is excellent, and a savvy VETERAN. The way he got himself out of some jams yesterday, HAS to be of some importance in affecting the other pitchers on that staff. This team MUST stop looking at money in dictating the way they do things. It hasnt worked since they started this new policy shift began back in 1985. Since then, weve occasionally dipped into the FA market and made a Splash, exactly ONE TIME (1996 signing Belle, when that year, we needed another Pitcher, smart move) We really blew it by not Keeping David Wells, even when he said he would Play for Cheap, since he didnt give the Sox Fans what they were Expecting. That was Class all the way, and we had nothing to lose by keeping him. Except the 19 games he won last year. Nice Move Kenny. Imagine a Staff of

Buehrle L
Colon R
Wells L
Loiaza R
Garland, Wright, Rauch or whoever you wanted to take a chance on as your 5th Starter. This is the kind of Staff That Goes to The Playoffs. and Wins Games.


The words 'Sox' and 'Stupid' definitely belong in the same sentence. No way Colon returns next year unless this team starts winning.

Bob