PDA

View Full Version : What is your No. 2 American League Team?

Viva Magglio
05-21-2003, 01:24 PM
We all know who our favorite American League team is, despite our angst over how they have been playing. But which other team in the AL do you admire the most?

MetalliSox
05-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Not sure why, but the Red Sox have always been my 3rd fav team. I don't think I have a good valid reason. Maybe I have always pulled for them to knock the Yanks off.
The Cards are a distant 2nd. My mom tried to raise me a Cards fan but my dad came through.

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 01:33 PM
This is a tough one. Brewers are eliminated, because they went to the NL and I dont appreciate Seligs circumstances in getting them there. Orioles I always liked too, but to be honest, that HAT, with that pigeon looking bird on it is HORRIBLE. Id never wear it. The other hat they had, with the Smiley Bird on it, was Classic. So rule the O's out. Indians are CLOSE, and I like their stadium, but by the thinnest of margins, id root for the Other Sox, the Carmines, because like us, they have a RICH history in this league.

npdempse
05-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Sort of embarassing, but I have a lingering attachment to the Yankees. Mostly from listening to Phil Rizzuto call games on WPIX as a kid, before they'd returned to evil empire status. Even cooked Skooter a burger once when he stopped into the restaurant I was working at in the Catskills during the summer in college.

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Sort of embarassing, but I have a lingering attachment to the Yankees. Mostly from listening to Phil Rizzuto call games on WPIX as a kid, before they'd returned to evil empire status. Even cooked Skooter a burger once when he stopped into the restaurant I was working at in the Catskills during the summer in college.

My first instinct would be to pick the Yankees too, but that would be taking the Easy Way Out. They are the 2nd team that gets the most Media Coverage, and personally....im not some Sap whose GOING TO LET THE MEDIA TELL ME WHAT MY FAVE TEAM SHOULD BE. THe media also isnt going to tell my what my Favorite stadium should be.

whitesoxwilkes
05-21-2003, 01:58 PM
I grew up in upstate NY, and even though Toronto was the closest team to me, thanks to Cablevision I watched plenty of games on WPIX. So I gotta say it's the Bombers.

fhqwhgads
05-21-2003, 02:00 PM
I wanted to vote for the White Sox, actually. Oh, well...

GO TWINS!

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads

GO TWINS!

HEHEHEH. hey Fgdrieusoidss, Wilkes and I were looking for you in the Metrodome sat nite. We asked some people if theyd seen you, and they acted like we were crazy

Blueprint1
05-21-2003, 02:24 PM
I hate how you let that guy post. I guess he doesnt annoy the crap out of you like he does me.

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I hate how you let that guy post. I guess he doesnt annoy the crap out of you like he does me.

Well, he didnt buy us a beer, so now he annoys me heh heh

FarmerAndy
05-21-2003, 02:29 PM
#2 has always been the Red Sox for me. Boston is one of my favorite cities. Great town, great park, great fans, great history.

Chisox353014
05-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Hmmm...none of the above? I can think of at least one annoying thing about every other team to prevent me from liking them. I guess if I had to pick one to win the World Series I'd go with Boston. They are the only other fans that have even come close to suffering as much as White Sox fans. Plus they don't think losing is cute.

fhqwhgads
05-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
HEHEHEH. hey Fgdrieusoidss, Wilkes and I were looking for you in the Metrodome sat nite. We asked some people if theyd seen you, and they acted like we were crazy

Sorry, Hangar. I owe you a cold one. Couldn't make the game because of my little brother's last high school concert. A shame that I missed y'all (along with Torii's catch). Perhaps in June?

GO TWINS!

fhqwhgads
05-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1

Love you too, Blueprint.
:)
GO TWINS!

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Sorry, Hangar. I owe you a cold one. Couldn't make the game because of my little brother's last high school concert. A shame that I missed y'all (along with Torii's catch). Perhaps in June?

GO TWINS!

yes perhaps June. my nephew loved the city (think he was liking the girls personally) thats 2. one for Wilkes too.

TheBigHurt
05-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Toronto Blue Jays BE GOOD

fquaye149
05-21-2003, 07:06 PM
now that they're in different leagues i'm a sox fan 1st brewers fan 2nd and a mariners fan 3rd. i like watching the mariners play because they don't have a ton of star power but still hit singles and doubles and win games. something i wish the sox would do

Thunderstruck30
05-21-2003, 07:18 PM
I gotta say the Red Sox. Nomar is my 2nd favorite player behind Magglio. Also gotta love Fenway and the green monster. I also hate the Yankees more than any other sports team so obviously I would be for the Red Sox. I seem to have a thing for cursed baseball teams named the Sox.

LuvSox
05-21-2003, 07:28 PM
No such thing as a 2nd favorite AL team. It's ChiSox or nothing!

chisox06
05-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Although I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of any other major league team I would have to say that when the playoffs come around, and the sox are out playin golf, I root for Oakland. A small market team with that much talent amazes me.

siugrad25
05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
I would agree with LuvSox... It's the White Sox and that's it... Come playoffs though I root for the underdog (i.e. Angels).

sox_fan_forever
05-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Like Chisox353014 said, I can think of something about each team to keep me from really rooting for them. But then like chisox06 I usually end up rooting for Oakland in the playoffs. Once they are eliminated I just go with whoever. Last year it was the Angels.

TheBigHurt
05-21-2003, 10:31 PM

GO TWINS!
HEY, fghwagads how could ya like both the White Sox and Twinkiies??? BE GOOD

konerkopeachy
05-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Oh yeah...much love for Oak-town....today they lost to those damned Twinkies, though. Everyone's got to love a team where your center fielder parades around in drag and ignores the third base coach to fail at stealing home. I salute you, Eric Byrnes.

fhqwhgads
05-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
HEY, fghwagads how could ya like both the White Sox and Twinkiies??? BE GOOD

I don't really, it's just that the White Sox make a good number two. :D: Thanks for taking the bait (and having a sense of humor).

Seriously, though. I probably know the Sox better than any AL team outside of the Twins, and I pay more attention to the Sox than any other non-Twins team, so in a way that would make them my second favorite team.

GO TWINS!

Eddie Gaedel
05-22-2003, 10:23 AM
DETROIT!!! You gotta love a crappy team you play 16 times a year.

NewyorkSoxFan
05-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Well, my 2nd fav team has always been the Yankees, even before I moved to NY. I was a fan of Tommy John, Guidry, Nettles, and that whole crew.

Moving to NY and going to Yankee stadium during playoff series and WS games, you really appreciate that even though they spend alot of money those guys are true professionals. And the mystiqe surrounding that team is no joke, teams get intimidated with the place and the fans. I guess I just admire the way they do business, and am somewhat envious that we don't have an owner who is win at all cost. Some owner could come to chicago and really own that town, if they would win, but as usual we always seem to be stuck in neutral. Penny wise and pound foolish as my grandmother used to say.

NYSF

TheBigHurt
05-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Well, my 2nd fav team has always been the Yankees, even before I moved to NY. I was a fan of Tommy John, Guidry, Nettles, and that whole crew.
NYSF
THIS is what I say to the Yankmees fans:(NOT me in picture, since ive been asked a lot)
:yankeessuck

THIS is what I think of the dam Yankmmes:
:chunks

BE GOOD

NewyorkSoxFan
05-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Well Big, That puts it bluntly huh?

NYSF

BE GOOD :)