PDA

View Full Version : Center Field Problems

Mammoo
05-21-2003, 02:00 PM
The Sox aren't going anywhere this year so why not bring Joe Borchard up to play center field. Greg Walker can work with him all year to determine once and for all if the guy can do the job.

If he improves, you've solved your CF problem and solidified Walker as the hitting guru you're looking for.

xil357
05-21-2003, 04:28 PM
CF is about the biggest problem on this team. Maggs, as good as he is, is not a CF. We don't have a legit CF anywhere in the organization. Borchard is the only hope, but he probably would be better in left or right.

If, by the end of this month, the Sox are more than 10 games out, and are unable to swing a trade for a legit CF who hits left-handed (or switch hitter) and plays great defense, then you've got nothing to lose in promoting Borchard and letting Walker work with him. If that's the case, do it.

If they close the gap by the beginning of June, they need to trade some of our excess right-handed DH/1B/LF types like Konerko or Lee (or both) for a lefty / switch defensive minded CF.

34 Inch Stick
05-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Front of the rotation starting pitcher, backup catcher and lead off hitting center fielder were the three top priorities in the off season. Two of the three were answered and the acquisitions have worked. Center Field has been a disaster this year even before the season started. The leadoff position has been fine.

Hangar18
05-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Front of the rotation starting pitcher, backup catcher and lead off hitting center fielder were the three top priorities in the off season. Two of the three were answered and the acquisitions have worked. Center Field has been a disaster this year even before the season started. The leadoff position has been fine.

I personally think they Needed 2 (TWO) front line starting pitchers at the beginning of the year, and were seeing that this was DEFINITELY the Case. by the time the offseason rolls around, we'll be back to needing 2 Starting Pitchers (because they'll foolishly let Colon go, to a team in the AL and he will HURT us in the Future) and a Backup Catcher again, and Again we'll Need a LEadoff/CF'er. Funny how the Sox think that if you go into the Season, without Solving your Holes in your Team, that they'll JUST GO AWAY by themselves. Teams like this dont go to the Playoffs, or Win WOrld Series Games....

WinningUgly!
05-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by xil357
CF is about the biggest problem on this team. Maggs, as good as he is, is not a CF. We don't have a legit CF anywhere in the organization. Borchard is the only hope, but he probably would be better in left or right.

If, by the end of this month, the Sox are more than 10 games out, and are unable to swing a trade for a legit CF who hits left-handed (or switch hitter) and plays great defense, then you've got nothing to lose in promoting Borchard and letting Walker work with him. If that's the case, do it.

If they close the gap by the beginning of June, they need to trade some of our excess right-handed DH/1B/LF types like Konerko or Lee (or both) for a lefty / switch defensive minded CF.

KW should get the Mets on the horn & ask about Timo Perez. I would imagine that damn near every player on the Mets' roster is available at this point. Perez is a very good defensive CF with great speed. He'd be another left handed bat in the lineup, although he has some problems facing left handed pitching.

wulfy
05-22-2003, 11:40 AM
By all accounts, Borchard's swing is still way to long, thus his 5-29 BB/SO ratio.

I'd rather see a stop-gap guy for a year than screw Borchard up for the long haul. Also, I still Borchard is a corner outfielder.

brewcrew/chisox
05-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by wulfy
By all accounts, Borchard's swing is still way to long, thus his 5-29 BB/SO ratio.

I'd rather see a stop-gap guy for a year than screw Borchard up for the long haul. Also, I still Borchard is a corner outfielder.

EXACTLY!!!

Why do you bring a guy up who still struggles in the Minors? Why? The place to get help on your swing is BEFORE the big leagues. What good would it do to bring some kid up that isn't ready yet? He'd be taking up valuable bench space...especially since the season isn't over yet.

Harris batted .450 in the minors and struggled when he came up...what will that same big league pitching do for Borchard's confidence?

You bring him up when he shows that he can hit the ball in AAA, no sooner.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2003, 01:04 PM
At one time IIRC the Sox had a surplus of CF types - Brian Simmons, Chris Singleton & McKay Christensen. I know that Singleton is with the A's and Christensen is with some AAA team, but what is Brian Simmons doing now? I know that Simmons can't hit (and that's a big minus given the Sox offense to date) but at least he was a good defender.

Hangar18
05-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Simmons had to be one of the Fastest Guys Id ever seen. He was kick ass as a Defensive Replacement too.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
but what is Brian Simmons doing now?

Well, it looks like he was with the Giants in Spring Training, but they reassigned him to the Fresno Grizzlies AAA squad on March 12, 2003. However, he is not currently listed on the minor league roster on MLB.com, so I don't know where he is at the moment.

I don't think he is the answer though. I wouldn't mind getting Christiansen back if I had to choose between the three.

Mammoo
05-24-2003, 12:39 AM
I see they brought up JB. But he, like Crede needs a lot of help with that swing.

The great Greg Walker can start "communicating" with these guys!