PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Paulie....

gosox41
05-21-2003, 10:33 AM
on getting your 13th RBI of the season in the team's 45th game.

It's good to see that big fat contract that the team is overpaying you with hasn't messed with your desire to win.

For the record, Paul said in the paper today that he is healthy as a horse. At least he's not making excuses, now if only he'd get his head out of his butt and start earning his $24 mill. extenstion.

Go back to being the average offensive first basemen you were. It sure beats watching you get your RBI's hitting balls back to the pitcher.

Bob

maurice
05-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
For the record, Paul said in the paper today that he is healthy as a horse. At least he's not making excuses, now if only he'd get his head out of his butt and start earning his $24 mill. extenstion.

Hopefully, this will put an end to the PK apologists' remarks about his back, foot, hip, nose, ears, etc. He's always been a streaky hitter. He's just following his longest good streak (1st half of 2002) with his longest bad streak (ever since). It's got to end at some point.

soxrme
05-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Paulie please use some of the money you got and buy batting gloves with better velcro, so you do not have to get out of the damn batters box after every pitch. Stay in the box, concentrate on the pitcher, and help speed up the game.

steff
05-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Hopefully, this will put an end to the PK apologists' remarks about his back, foot, hip, nose, ears, etc.

Well.. when it's been reported that he has a hip condition it's kind of hard to ignore it, eh?

FarmerAndy
05-21-2003, 12:42 PM
I'd like to see Paulie hit a hot streak. That way other teams will become interested, and we can get rid of him before he turns to crap again.

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 12:43 PM
theres no way hes healthy as a horse. He just doenst want to sit on the bench (who would?) I think hes hurt too. He doesnt look good. Poor Guy is trying to do all he can, I hope whatever is ailing him, hes getting better. We Need You BAD Paulie.....

steff
05-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I'd like to see Paulie hit a hot streak. That way other teams will become interested, and we can get rid of him before he turns to crap again.

This is our only hope. Otherwise we file an insurance claim immediately after the season ends if not sooner. Guarantee it.

Brian26
05-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Paulie please use some of the money you got and buy batting gloves with better velcro, so you do not have to get out of the damn batters box after every pitch. Stay in the box, concentrate on the pitcher, and help speed up the game.

Hehe. Great post. Anyone notice Daubach steps out after every pitch to take off his helmet and wipe his forehead? Watch for it.

gosox41
05-21-2003, 01:19 PM

While he's at it he should invest in a new cup. Ever notice when he's on the on deck circle he always bends over to stretch. I sat there one game and noticed a few female fans enjoying the view of his "banana cup" (their words not mine.)

Bob

gosox41
05-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Well.. when it's been reported that he has a hip condition it's kind of hard to ignore it, eh?

Nothing about any of Paulie's hip problems have been reported. Last I heard of it was a few years ago.

Is this a problem? Was the team at least able to insure the contract so if he is unable to play the team can't use it as an excuse to spend money? If the team was unable to insure it, why would they take such a big risk on damaged goods? This from an owner who won't sign a healthy pitcher to a long term deal, but will sign a player with a known hip problem. At least Belle had an out cluase in his contract. The Sox are stuck with Paulie and his baggage.

Bob

gosox41
05-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
theres no way hes healthy as a horse. He just doenst want to sit on the bench (who would?) I think hes hurt too. He doesnt look good. Poor Guy is trying to do all he can, I hope whatever is ailing him, hes getting better. We Need You BAD Paulie.....

If he's hurt, put him on the DL. He's obviously not helping the team win with the way he is hitting now. I'd be much more sympathetic if he had a legit injury instead of trying to play through and hurting the team.

Bob

RKMeibalane
05-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hehe. Great post. Anyone notice Daubach steps out after every pitch to take off his helmet and wipe his forehead? Watch for it.

He does do that a lot. It's irritating. Nobody sweats that much, especially after one swing of the bat. Sheesh! No wonder this team is struggling. The players are more worried about looking good than being good.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
If he's hurt, put him on the DL. He's obviously not helping the team win with the way he is hitting now. I'd be much more sympathetic if he had a legit injury instead of trying to play through and hurting the team.

Bob

Agreed. Put Konerko on the DL, and let Frank Thomas play first base. Frank hits better when he plays the field anyway. And, as everyone here knows, when Frank is on his game, he is the best hitter in baseball. This alone is reason enough for changes to be made, and soon. Jerry Manuel, WAKE UP!

harwar
05-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Konerko can't hit right-handers right now,i don't know why JM doesn't platoon Paul and Brian D. at first.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Konerko can't hit right-handers right now,i don't know why JM doesn't platoon Paul and Brian D. at first.

Nothing Manuel does makes any sense. Platooning Konerko and Daubach is a good idea, but Manuel will not do it. He's more interested in putting Daubach in the outfield so he can move Maggs into center.

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

maurice
05-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

Um, no. It's easy to ignore it. Lots of bunk gets "reported" every day, especially on the Internet. It would be advisable to ignore the majority of it. Heck, you can't even trust the New York Times to be accurate.

As pointed out by a different poster in another thread, this "hip condition" was reported one time five years ago. Konerko said then (as he did yesterday) that, while it sounds ominous, it doesn't affect his play. I'll take his word for it, especially since it's not out of character for him to go on a prolonged suck streak without the need for a medical excuse.

Hey, I hear White has halitosis. That explains his ERA.

Sorry, but the excuses for Pauly thing is getting a little old. Even he apparently thinks so. Just 'cause we all think he's a nice guy doesn't mean it isn't his fault when he sucks. He showing signs of coming out of it, but (as many here have pointed out) he wasn't a great hitter to begin with.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Here's the deal...

...if Konerko is not hurt (he says he's not), then I can see no reason why he has struggled so much at the plate this season. He has some fans longing for the return of Royce Clayton- well, maybe not, but you get the picture. Pauly needs to spend time with Greg Walker. He needs to break his swing down and reconstruct it piece by piece until he finds the problem and corrects it. The Sox need his bat.

...if Konerko is hurt, then he needs to say something to Jerry Manuel or Ken Williams NOW. The Sox would be much better off playing Frank at first, with Daubach or Lee in the DH slot. I respect players who compete even when they're injured, but Konerko should not be out there if he's having this difficult of a time. He's hurting team because he can't swallow his pride. That's not cool.

TornLabrum
05-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Um, no. It's easy to ignore it. Lots of bunk gets "reported" every day, especially on the Internet. It would be advisable to ignore the majority of it. Heck, you can't even trust the New York Times to be accurate.

As pointed out by a different poster in another thread, this "hip condition" was reported one time five years ago. Konerko said then (as he did yesterday) that, while it sounds ominous, it doesn't affect his play. I'll take his word for it, especially since it's not out of character for him to go on a prolonged suck streak without the need for a medical excuse.

I wonder if Britt Burns said the same thing about his hip before the Sox traded him to the Yankees.

LuvSox
05-21-2003, 08:07 PM

Good post. He's been driving me ape **** with that stuff ever since he came here. Still think he's great and he's gonna snap out of it soon though.

maurice
05-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I wonder if Britt Burns said the same thing about his hip before the Sox traded him to the Yankees.

I don't recall, Torn. Do you also wonder whether "Burns said the same thing about his hip" five years before he was traded to the yanks? Konerko has posted an .850+ OPS since his first denial in 1998.

Why should we believe Paulie when he says his career isn't over at age 27? Who needs medical evidence when we have lots of conjecture!

BTW: Konerko is 4-for-8 with a HR and 3 RBI in his last two games. Way to go, Paulie. Keep it up.

gosox41
05-22-2003, 10:23 AM
I don't recall, Torn. Do you also wonder whether "Burns said the same thing about his hip" five years before he was traded to the yanks? Konerko has posted an .850+ OPS since his first denial in 1998.

Why should we believe Paulie when he says his career isn't over at age 27? Who needs medical evidence when we have lots of conjecture!

BTW: Konerko is 4-for-8 with a HR and 3 RBI in his last two games. Way to go, Paulie. Keep it up.

I hope he is finally breaking out so I can only rip on him for being an average 1B offensively. It sure beats hitting in the .220's with no power.

Bob