PDA

View Full Version : Chicago SunTimes blows...


Kilroy
05-21-2003, 07:42 AM
Ok, Cubs rained out and nothing else going in Chicago except a complete game winner from Colon. You'd think the Sox would get the back page, right? Wrong. NBA Draft LOTTERY preview, not draft, wondering who's the first pick, James or Anthony.

Even when the Sox are the only thing going on in town, they get cornholed...

TheBigHurt
05-21-2003, 07:45 AM
WOW i guess the Chi-town media really does hate the Sox and us fans :whiner: BE GOOD

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Now, we see why there are so many "cub" fans everywhere....
the media wants it this way...

hsnterprize
05-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Ok, Cubs rained out and nothing else going in Chicago except a complete game winner from Colon. You'd think the Sox would get the back page, right? Wrong. NBA Draft LOTTERY preview, not draft, wondering who's the first pick, James or Anthony.

Even when the Sox are the only thing going on in town, they get cornholed... In order for the Sox to get the back page, some dolt needed to run on the field and cause trouble. Like you said...a complete game win isn't enough to earn the back page. It's only complete disarray by the Sox that gets their attention.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2003, 09:23 AM
Here's a radical idea---you want better publicity---WIN MORE GAMES.

Just a thought.

Lip

thecell
05-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's a radical idea---you want better publicity---WIN MORE GAMES.

Just a thought.

Lip

Or get a toenail removed...

TheBigHurt
05-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's a radical idea---you want better publicity---WIN MORE GAMES.

Just a thought.

Lip

OR be loveable losers BE GOOD

Procol Harum
05-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Come on peeps!! I'm with Lip on this one. Like the doings of this team would merit full-blown, breathless coverage when they finally win a stinkin' game in front of what was probably an actual crowd of 6,000?

I've been dealing with the fact that the media in this town is Cub-skewed for years, but you also have to let reality intrude into your world, too. This Sox team stinks, has an adversarial relationship with the media, and the only thing they've been able to draw up until now is flies, not fans. Contrast with the North Side where they're in first place, have a good manager with a track record, and fill their saloon/urinal up for every game--does it take a marketing genius to figure out where you're gonna invest your coverage??

And before you start crying about coverage of Sammy's toenail--get somebody on our side of town who will hit 60+ homers three times in four seasons and maybe he'd get the same sort of coverage.

Quit'cher whinin' :whiner:

Blueprint1
05-21-2003, 10:21 AM
I really don't care that we didnt get the back page. It was the first win in four games. What should the page have said Sox win game Chicago is shocked.

voodoochile
05-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Come on peeps!! I'm with Lip on this one. Like the doings of this team would merit full-blown, breathless coverage when they finally win a stinkin' game in front of what was probably an actual crowd of 6,000?

I've been dealing with the fact that the media in this town is Cub-skewed for years, but you also have to let reality intrude into your world, too. This Sox team stinks, has an adversarial relationship with the media, and the only thing they've been able to draw up until now is flies, not fans. Contrast with the North Side where they're in first place, have a good manager with a track record, and fill their saloon/urinal up for every game--does it take a marketing genius to figure out where you're gonna invest your coverage??

And before you start crying about coverage of Sammy's toenail--get somebody on our side of town who will hit 60+ homers three times in four seasons and maybe he'd get the same sort of coverage.

Quit'cher whinin' :whiner:

I'll take this one step further...

90% of the attendance problems that confront the Sox are of their own making. Maybe the final 10% is media driven, but it is hardly the major reason the Sox cannot draw a crowd. I think the reason that it draws so much attention is that it is the only thing that we fans can possibly HOPE to change. We can't force JR to sell the team or make any moves, but possibly enough anger from the fans MIGHT change the media coverage (I kill me ).

Still until the Sox do something to fix their own house, the media is perfectly justified in giving more coverage to the more popular team (again, much of that is current management's doing). After all they are in the business of selling newspapers.

Besides, like Procul pointed out - until the Sox get above .500 and start showing some life, they deserve page 2 news for the most part...

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's a radical idea---you want better publicity---WIN MORE GAMES.

Just a thought.

Lip

Hmmm. Good Concept. but we won More games than the Cubs, yet somehow, as proven by my Media Study over the Winter, the Cubs ran away with the Media Coverage. I wonder why that is?

Mammoo
05-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's a radical idea---you want better publicity---WIN MORE GAMES.

Just a thought.

Lip

Well put Lip Man!!

Thats the way you take over this town. It's a concept Sox management will never understand.

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 01:22 PM
If they put Trained Circus Monkeys out on the Field at wrigley, the MEDIA would be all over that too. And say these Circus Monkeys started Losing regularly, then the Media would want to know whats wrong with the Circus Monkeys, and should they be signing up African Gazelles instead, and the Media would then put up stats Comparing Impala to Gazelle and who would hit better in Wrigley. We'd see fluffy stories about how Gazelles are better than Monkeys as far as pets etc etc. Laugh, too farfetched, but this is what would happen. Sure theyre winning now, and the Media Coverage hasnt changed back to the Sox has it??? Im still waiting for it to happen. Maybe we need to lose nearly 100 games 4 of the next 6 years.....

pudge
05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
If they put Trained Circus Monkeys out on the Field at wrigley, the MEDIA would be all over that too. And say these Circus Monkeys started Losing regularly, then the Media would want to know whats wrong with the Circus Monkeys, and should they be signing up African Gazelles instead, and the Media would then put up stats Comparing Impala to Gazelle and who would hit better in Wrigley. We'd see fluffy stories about how Gazelles are better than Monkeys as far as pets etc etc. Laugh, too farfetched, but this is what would happen. Sure theyre winning now, and the Media Coverage hasnt changed back to the Sox has it??? Im still waiting for it to happen. Maybe we need to lose nearly 100 games 4 of the next 6 years.....

Media is driven by cash, like most everything... if the Sox were a winning team packing the park every night, they would be on the front page every single day, guaranteed. The Cubs, nationwide, are a more popular team. I hate 'em just as much as everyone, but that's just reality. Frankly, I'd be more interested in reading about the NBA draft than the Sox meaningless win last night.