PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Olivo...by the numbers.

Joel Perez
05-20-2003, 10:34 PM
When he starts at C, the White Sox W-L record is 14-9.
This is just going by the numbers. To be honest, I have only see him play on the TV when the Sox were in Oakland a couple of weeks ago, during the Left Field BillBoard Debachle game.

So, how is he doing behind the plate/hitting at the plate???

Joel Perez
05-20-2003, 10:37 PM
More ammo:

ERA of the WS pitching staff when he's catching: 3.69 (26 total games)

Compared to others:

Sandy Alomar: 5.42 (21 games)
Josh Paul 4.91 (4 games)

Maybe Mark Buerhle should start throwing to Miguel????

MHOUSE
05-20-2003, 10:38 PM
He has also caught every game for Loaiza and Colon IIRC. Sandy has been catching Buehrle, Garland, and now Wright. So catching for our top two pitchers certainly helps his record. I think Olivo is a stud and he's going to be a great catcher in the very near future. When was the last time a Sox catcher stole a base? This kid is awesome!

hose
05-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
When he starts at C, the White Sox W-L record is 14-9.
This is just going by the numbers. To be honest, I have only see him play on the TV when the Sox were in Oakland a couple of weeks ago, during the Left Field BillBoard Debachle game.

So, how is he doing behind the plate/hitting at the plate???

One of the few bright spots on this team so far has been Olivo .

Miguel got rave reviews from Twins manager Tom Gardenhirer this past weekend.

I think Olivo will turn into a fan favorite because of his hustle and determination.

MHOUSE
05-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by hose
One of the few bright spots on this team so far has been Olivo .

Miguel got rave reviews from Twins manager Tom Gardenhirer this past weekend.

I think Olivo will turn into a fan favorite because of his hustle and determination.

Too late, he's all ready one of my favorites.

LuvSox
05-20-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm looking forward to a long Sox career for Miguel. He's exciting to watch.

Daver
05-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Keep in mind he has never caught more than 110 games in a season,and that was his only season catching more than 100 games.

No need to burn him out,let him work three games a week.

Joel Perez
05-20-2003, 10:48 PM
No offense to Sandy....but he's done. He has very little left in the tank except to be an Assistant/Bench Coach for the South Siders.

If the Sox let him go, who will mentor young Miguel? This is the reason why I did not want the Sox trading Mark Johnson last year....good defensive Catcher, and a left-handed bat to boot to add a little (albeit very little) bat into the lineup, but he would've been a good mentor to the Young Jedi.

Thoughts?

T Dog
05-20-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
He has also caught every game for Loaiza and Colon IIRC. Sandy has been catching Buehrle, Garland, and now Wright. So catching for our top two pitchers certainly helps his record. I think Olivo is a stud and he's going to be a great catcher in the very near future. When was the last time a Sox catcher stole a base? This kid is awesome!

Alomar started out catching Colon. Colon commented after a complete game against the Indians that he liked pitching to Alomar because they knew each other so well. I don't recall when that changed. It might have been the Sunday night rain-shortened loss to Seattle. Olivo has eased into the position of number one catcher because he has developed well behind the plate.

I think, too, that Josh Paul has stolen bases in games he caught for the Sox. Ron Karkovice hit an inside-the-park grand slam and Marc Hill scored from second on a sacrifice fly. Olivio already is better than all those guys though.

You are right in that the kid is awesome.

Daver
05-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Alomar started out catching Colon. Colon commented after a complete game against the Indians that he liked pitching to Alomar because they knew each other so well. I don't recall when that changed..

JM let Olivio catch Colon because Colon calls his own pitches.

hose
05-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by daver
Keep in mind he has never caught more than 110 games in a season,and that was his only season catching more than 100 games.

No need to burn him out,let him work three games a week.

We always have Josh Paul.

And Daver no you can't set any traps outside of "the Cell" if Paul gets recalled. :D:

spanishwhite
05-21-2003, 12:11 AM
He has also caught every game for Loaiza and Colon IIRC. Sandy has been catching Buehrle, Garland, and now Wright.

Actually, Alomar started the season catching Colon and Olivo has always caught Garland.

MHOUSE
05-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by hose
We always have Josh Paul.

And Daver no you can't set any traps outside of "the Cell" if Paul gets recalled. :D:

LMAO! :D:

jeremyb1
05-21-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
Alomar started out catching Colon. Colon commented after a complete game against the Indians that he liked pitching to Alomar because they knew each other so well. I don't recall when that changed. It might have been the Sunday night rain-shortened loss to Seattle. Olivo has eased into the position of number one catcher because he has developed well behind the plate.

i think that changed when wright came off the dl because apparently the team wanted alomar catching wright.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-21-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by daver
JM let Olivio catch Colon because Colon calls his own pitches.

No no no!!! I was at tonight's game, and as my friend noticed at first and I confirmed during any kind of pressure situation (meaning a guy on base), Olivo looked into the dugout for the sign and got one. Colon does NOT call his own pitches and Olivo is getting them from the dugout. SAME AS JOSH PAUL!!!

Call it youth, call it whatever, but do not say that Olivo or Colon is calling the game. Don't get me wrong, I think Olivo is the catcher that will be with this team, but to say that he or Colon is calling the pitches to win the game, at least tonight, is not right.

34 Inch Stick
05-21-2003, 08:51 AM
The guy has exceeded my expectations defensively (and they were very high). He has met my expectations offensively. I figured he would have some trouble hitting this year and .250 was a best case scenario. However, offensively I am starting to see some real progress. I wouldn't be suprised if he were in the .275 range by the end of the year.

thecell
05-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
No no no!!! I was at tonight's game, and as my friend noticed at first and I confirmed during any kind of pressure situation (meaning a guy on base), Olivo looked into the dugout for the sign and got one. Colon does NOT call his own pitches and Olivo is getting them from the dugout. SAME AS JOSH PAUL!!!

Call it youth, call it whatever, but do not say that Olivo or Colon is calling the game. Don't get me wrong, I think Olivo is the catcher that will be with this team, but to say that he or Colon is calling the pitches to win the game, at least tonight, is not right.

He was probably getting a sign for a pitch-out, throw to first, etc.

From the Sun-Times:

Miguel Olivo caught Bartolo Colon for the fourth time Tuesday and said they quickly are developing a rapport. Colon typically calls his own game, but Olivo said he is getting shaken off less these days.

''The first time I caught him, he would shake me a lot,'' Olivo said. ''I didn't even know him. But we're on the same page now, just like [Esteban] Loaiza and me.''

Olivo senses Colon just now is hitting his stride and calls his eight-plus-inning outing May 10 at Seattle even more impressive than his near-complete game last week against Baltimore.

gosox41
05-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
No offense to Sandy....but he's done. He has very little left in the tank except to be an Assistant/Bench Coach for the South Siders.

If the Sox let him go, who will mentor young Miguel? This is the reason why I did not want the Sox trading Mark Johnson last year....good defensive Catcher, and a left-handed bat to boot to add a little (albeit very little) bat into the lineup, but he would've been a good mentor to the Young Jedi.

Thoughts?

Yet another reason I was against the whole Foulke/Koch deal.

Bob

Randar68
05-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Too late, he's all ready one of my favorites.

This guy has been one of my favorites from the first day I saw him in AA. Even then, you could see his quick feet and lightning arm. He has had a very nice swing all along, but it's all about repetitions.

A catcher with that type of defensive abilities, ~20 HR power and a .280-.300 average and ~.360-.380 OBP comes along once every 20 years for most teams.

The history for young catchers who catch a lot of games in the early to mid twenties is very bad. No need to over-work him now. We do need a viable second catching option, and Alomar isn't it past this year, if he makes it that far!

Randar68
05-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

NO NO NO!

You just explained it, but didn't get it. Every catcher the Sox have looks into the dugout on every pitch when there are people on base. This is because Nossek is a great situational bench coach and one of the best sign stealers in the game. He calls all pick-off moves, pitchouts, etc.

The way you can tell who is calling the pitches is by who is looking in the dugout when nobody is on base.