PDA

View Full Version : Lets hang on....

MHOUSE
05-20-2003, 05:47 PM
In light of the seemingly imminent fire sale, salary dump off, and rebuild I would like to add 2 cents to the mix.

Keep:
Maggs- our best player and perennial all star. We need a franchise guy to put people in the seats and build around.
Jimenez- young talent who will only get better. maybe someday he could DH and leadoff with Miles at 2B, but for now he's our best bet.
Crede- when he starts to hit, we'll all just love him to death. His defense isn't a liability and he's young. Robin Ventura II
Olivo- will be one of the top catchers in a couple years. hang onto this kid!
Marte- closer of the future. Koch isn't going to last long and Marte is a stud. PLEASE don't deal him to the Yankmees.
Wunsch- he's been our second best player behind Loaiza and I like him a lot. Good to have on the team and a versatile reliever.
Sanders/Ginter- I like them as a young L/R long relief tandem. Rick White needs to be released ASAP.
Graffy- fan favorite and great utility guy, keep him.
Borchard- great talent, he will someday get up here and play well.
Rowand- good 4th outfielder with good defense and he won't always hit this bad.

Rotation:
Loaiza - $4M option is cheap for a possible 15 game winner
Buehrle - he will turn it around and be a quality starter
Wright - he's a gamer and he'll be a quality .500 guy I think
?
?

Thomas, Konerko, Lee, Garland, Koch, Jose, Rios, Daubach, Harris are all tradeable or not worth resigning etc.

calebhatesyou
05-20-2003, 07:32 PM
i've been gone for a while and don't really know if the majority opinion on this season is that of it being a loss. is that the case?
i don't think so i think we can still rebound to the division championship, possibly. we are less than ten games out and our guys can play. they just aren't. help me out here.

gosox41
05-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by calebhatesyou
i've been gone for a while and don't really know if the majority opinion on this season is that of it being a loss. is that the case?
i don't think so i think we can still rebound to the division championship, possibly. we are less than ten games out and our guys can play. they just aren't. help me out here.

Wake me up when they're ready to start playing. Any day this high powered offense wants to hit is fine with me.

Bob

Randar68
05-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
In light of the seemingly imminent fire sale, salary dump off, and rebuild I would like to add 2 cents to the mix.

I think we are being a bit premature. However, I have an opinion on a couple here points here...

Keep:

Maggs, Crede, Olivo.

Marginal Keep (right price, not over paying):
Thomas, Lee.

Not so sure about.

Jimenez: Can't play short full time IMO. Makes lazy mistakes and it is becoming apparent to me why San Diego was so willing to part with him. Makes boneheaded plays in the worst situations such as lazy throws or waiting on slow rollers... drives me nuts. Wish he would bust his hump. Also, we have Miles and numerous 2B in the sytem. His bat is valuable because he sees a ton of pitches and has a good average and OBP. Not overly fast, but it's not like Manual would send a guy out there to steal a base if he had Ty Cobb.

Valentin: Don't we have anyone else who can play SS??? REALLY! I know we don't, but he's not that valuable in our lineup hitting .250 and not getting on a whole lot more than that. This lineup needs guys who will get on base and create some havoc (and a new manager who lets them do such)

Almoar: Done

As for the pitching????

My honest opinion is that Buehrle will never be any better than the past 2 years. He doesn't overpower you and needs to have his location. What area can he improve in from the past 2 years? He already has (until recently) had great control and thrown 4 or 5 pitches for strikes. You can win a lot of games like that over a lot of years, but he is not and will never be a true #1 starter.

Loaiza. Hopefully he finally gets it, but I am still skeptical. He is a different pitcher than he has been the past few year. That sharp 2-seamer was a GREAT addition to his arsenal. Can he continue like this or does he only pitch like this when his back is against the wall, career-wise.

Garland. Not seemingly developing much. Still hasn't clicked for him. Don't think he will ever be more than a #3 pitcher at best.

Wright. Future Closer? He get's stronger as the game goes on, ala Colon, but he has to get to that point. I would like to see the staff work him into the 130-140 pitch range over the next couple years and see what he can do. He has his best stuff on pitches 80 on.

Rauch. IMO, Garland should go to AAA and get it sorted out. Rauch is pitching well and has seemingly gotten his control issues ironed out. He can't do worse than Garland, and has higher long-term potential.

Colon. Will we sign him? Still a workhorse, although not the strikeout artist he once was. Need some stability in our rotation for sure.

Bullpen: Drop: Gordon, White
keep: Marte, Wunsch, Koch, Ginter, Glover
bring along: Ring, Almonte, Munoz

Still a lot of question marks.