PDA

View Full Version : Mac, Jurko, Harry Sox-Cubs deal?

MHOUSE
05-20-2003, 05:37 PM
They suggested that the Sox deal Jose Valentin who is making $5M in the last year of his contract (and might not resign) to the Cubs for Kyle Farnsworth and Ogie Ojeda. Jose could give the Cubs a strong LH bat and play third base and be one of the "pieces of the puzzle" for a contender like the Cubs. I like his attitude and bat and everything about him, but his 2000 season was a great year and likely one of his last. He's not worth the $$ and we need to dump salary. We could be more patient with Kyle Farnsworth who is a young pitcher who could give us bullpen help and Ojeda is a SS prospect who could always work out. Obviously this is all speculation, but I think it would be a good trade for both sides.

Daver
05-20-2003, 05:42 PM
They just showed why they are employed by radio and not baseball.

The Sox have an option for Valentin for next year.

MHOUSE
05-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by daver

What is so wrong with the deal? How much is his option for?

Vsahajpal
05-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
They suggested that the Sox deal Jose Valentin who is making $5M in the last year of his contract (and might not resign) to the Cubs for Kyle Farnsworth and Ogie Ojeda. Jose could give the Cubs a strong LH bat and play third base and be one of the "pieces of the puzzle" for a contender like the Cubs. I like his attitude and bat and everything about him, but his 2000 season was a great year and likely one of his last. He's not worth the $$ and we need to dump salary. We could be more patient with Kyle Farnsworth who is a young pitcher who could give us bullpen help and Ojeda is a SS prospect who could always work out. Obviously this is all speculation, but I think it would be a good trade for both sides.

Ojeda isn't much of a prospect. He's a no-hit utility guy with a decent glove. He's a good baserunner, that's about all. And he's 28, and 5'6...I think the only reason he's still with the club is that he's a "fan-favorite," for no compelling reason I might add.

CLR01
05-20-2003, 05:54 PM
...last year of his contract (and might not resign)...

We are not that lucky.

Foulke You
05-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Ojeda isn't much of a prospect. He's a no-hit utility guy with a decent glove. He's a good baserunner, that's about all. And he's 28, and 5'6...I think the only reason he's still with the club is that he's a "fan-favorite," for no compelling reason I might add.

I've noticed this fascination Cub fans have with Augie Ojeda as well and I can only fathom that it is his name that people like. "Aug-ie Aug-ie!" I would hear from the Wrigley stands during Sox/Cubs games where he played in. Bizarre. :?:

Funny names and Cub fan puppy love aside, I wouldn't do this deal. Valentin is the heart and soul of the Sox and to see him in a Cubs uniform would make me ill not to mention guarantee a Cubs Division title, something I'd be willing to look over if we got some good talent for him but I think Farnsworth is overrated. He has a questionable work ethic and likes to hit the Chicago night life scene a little too much from what I've read. To me, Farnsworth just screams "Bob Howry Reloaded: The Revenge of Gas Can". Ojeda would be a worthless throw in and would have little use in an organization that has Jimenez, Graffanino, Harris, Miles, and Hummel in front of him for an infield job.

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 07:49 PM

No Way. If the Cubs called me with this deal, Id hang up on them. Just because the think the Marlins are Stupid enough to keep trading all their good players for bad cub minor leaguers.
Valentin in a Cub uniform makes me sick thinking about it. Wouldnt it be cool if he just retired, than play for them? Farnsworth would get LIT UP in the American League. BANK ON THAT. I think even he knows it. He will NEVER come to AL. Augie is just one of those guys that has a fuzzy blue name, and the media loves him.

duke of dorwood
05-20-2003, 09:55 PM
Rick White pitched good in the NL too, as did Todd Ritchie. A big NO to this one.

Mammoo
05-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Harry was just bull ****ting during their White Sox segment. There is nothing to it!

LuvSox
05-20-2003, 10:19 PM
MHOUSE, I hate to see a young person like yourself ruin your life listening to sports radio. It's a road to nowhere. Please stop.

MHOUSE
05-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Rick White pitched good in the NL too, as did Todd Ritchie. A big NO to this one.

This is true. But arguably White pitched well in 20 games and Ritchie was never more than average. They were both at or over 30. Farnsworth is still young and he has a good fastball. I dunno it was just a thought to "shake things up." Jose could help a contender and we need to get something for him as much it hurts to say it.

jeremyb1
05-21-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by daver

jose's option has to be for something like 6 million. there's absolutely no way that gets picked up. 8 million buys you an all-star like cliff floyd in today's market. jose's market value is 2 maybe 3 million right now and that's being generous.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
jose's option has to be for something like 6 million. there's absolutely no way that gets picked up. 8 million buys you an all-star like cliff floyd in today's market. jose's market value is 2 maybe 3 million right now and that's being generous.

And Cliff Floyd is doing what this season? And I want him why?

In all seriousness, I would not make Kyle Farnsworth the center of any deal where they get a position player and we get back him. He has shown that he does not have the mentality to be a closer. That is the only role where he has some value. Otherwise, he is a Mike Stanton or Steve Karsay type player that, on a definite championship team, is a real good third or fourth option out of the bullpen.

We can get better than that for Manos. If not, keep him on this team as one of a few players will be a leader.