PDA

View Full Version : Poor Umpiring in '03

Foulke You
05-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Ok, first let me preface this thread by saying that I am NOT in any way solely blaming the umps for our team's troubles. Now that I've got that said, let me say that the umpiring in Sox games this year has sucked to high heaven. I have seen more close and not so close plays go against the Sox this year than I can ever remember. Everything from Crede's homer being taken away to last night's debacle at 3B. I have never seen an ump shrug his shoulders on a call he was right on top of and then actually have a call REVERSED when an opposing manager comes out to complain!! How many times has Manuel been ejected this year? Something like 8 times? Every time he has come out of that dugout, he has had a legitimate complaint. I know people are going to say that Manuel is just jumping out to show that "he cares" and doesn't want to be fired but I've observed Manuel's coaching style since '97 and he usually never comes out of the dugout unless the umps REALLY screw up and make a bad call in a key situation which of course seems to happen with growing frequency this year so he is out of the dugout a lot. I'm getting tired of watching our team get a rally going (which doesn't happen a lot this year) only to have an ump make a piss poor call to deflate our chances. Is MLB holding umpires accountable for incompetence like they are supposed to?

What is the deal with all of the bad calls? Is this team's bad karma spilling into the umps? Have we had any close calls actually go our way? I haven't heard Hawk say once this year "Man the Sox caught a break on that call" because y'know what? We haven't caught a break on a call!! Also, if I hear Darrin Jackson back up and make excuses for the umpires one more time I am going to puke!

dllrbll7
05-20-2003, 02:49 PM
That was exactly what i was thinking. JM lately has been averaging 2 ejections per week i think. Something needs to be done to get these guys to call a better game.

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 03:30 PM
We need to list All of the calls. Last nites was pretty F***in POOR. If your job is to make Tacos, Clean Cars, build Houses, fix cars, or BE A GOOD UMPIRE, you should DO A GOOD JOB.
Its that SIMPLE. Umpires are being made to Look Very LAZY.
Which im starting to think the majority of them are. LAZEEEEE.
Hear that Selig?? what are you gonna do about it? this is way too many blown calls (were only in MAY for crying out loud) against the same Team over and over again. Dont these guys see how bad they look?

Dan Gelo
05-20-2003, 03:35 PM
I've been thinking about this for the past 2 weeks. I also think this is the worst I have seen ever. I have seen way too many mistakes, and it just hasn't been on white sox games. I watch baseball all the time on Espn, and it happens a lot.

Blueprint1
05-20-2003, 03:38 PM
The calls have been bad since that guy attacked the umpire.

boog_alou
05-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Just my two cents, but while there have been some high profile bad calls that have gone against the Sox, there have also been bad calls in the Sox favor. They just aren't as memorable. In every season there are lots of bad calls. Some you get the benefit of, some go against you. It basically evens out.

Foulke You
05-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by boog_alou
Just my two cents, but while there have been some high profile bad calls that have gone against the Sox, there have also been bad calls in the Sox favor. They just aren't as memorable. In every season there are lots of bad calls. Some you get the benefit of, some go against you. It basically evens out.

I am curious to know what call in a key situation or any situation went the Sox way this year? I'm not talking balls and strikes, I'm talking about runners getting called out when they are clearly safe by 10 miles, I'm talking HRs taken away when they clearly went over the fence. I'm talking an umpire changing his call after Manuel comes out to argue. I haven't seen any of it and don't remember any happening. In past seasons, I would tend to agree with your synopsis of the umpiring "evening out" and "win some, lose some" but so far I've seen one botched call after another in HUGE situations for the Sox.

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 04:33 PM

Boog, In theory, I would Agree with you and say ...HEY, thats Baseball. BUT.....Ive been watching games for a long time, and maybe once or twice a year you see a Really Bad Call, but man, the SOX have had Between 6-8 of them.....AND WERE ONLY at MAY 20 !!!!
That is Absolutely HORRENDOUS. ESP if thats the only thing your supposed to do. Is just watch a little ball and see if its Fair or Foul. Or if it really went out of the park for a Home Run. And your not Supposed to Taunt Players/Mgrs to cause more fights.
And your not supposed to let a Warn Both Teams about Getting Hit with a Pitch, then let the Opposing Team hit your Guy One more time before you Decide to Throw People Out. I used to feel for these guys, their just Guys with Families etc etc, but you know what? I lost Respect for these Guys. Especially because WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY?? Wheres Selig? Shouldnt the League President be looking into this? games like this Can turn seasons around for teams already on the Brink. Oh wait.....there is no league president anymore.......

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 04:37 PM

OH, and I do remember ONE instance, where the ump missed a call against the A's. Guy was clearly OUT at 2nd base, but was called SAFE. of course he later Scored. Manuel discussed that with him, and they showed the ump, and he had a "guilty" look on his face, he let jerry yell at him and didnt say anything.
Later on.....there was a Play at HOME, and our guy was OUT, but the umps Called him SAFE. I think they did that on purpose to EVEN out the call. BUT for the most part, THEY ARE NOT MAKING UP FOR THEIR MISTAKES. Theyrve been way too many of them. SHows theres a Breakdown somewhere here. These UMPS need to TAKE SOME PRIDE IN THEIR WORK.

Foulke You
05-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

And your not supposed to let a Warn Both Teams about Getting Hit with a Pitch, then let the Opposing Team hit your Guy One more time before you Decide to Throw People Out.

This is a point that I completely forgot to mention as well. The umps are handling the "self policing" issue with retaliatory beanballs completely wrong. No way should Garland have gotten ejected against the Twins a couple weeks ago at The Cell, ditto Colon against the O's. Those two pitchers were protecting Magglio who got beaned a half dozen times in those series. Let the game police itself like it has for over 100 years. When they eject the pitcher, all it does is escalate events further. Of course, part of the problem is crybabies like Hairston Jr. and Mienkeiwcz who won't shut up and take their base like a man. The other part of the problem is the way the umps handle the situations now.