PDA

View Full Version : A factor in our slump nobody has addressed

SpringfldFan
05-20-2003, 01:43 PM
I would like to spread the blame for the team's offensive woes around even more. I think there was one particular decision that may have played a role in triggering the team's current offensive malaise. It is very simple but has been overlooked.

I am referring to the decision a few years back to move the outfield fences in. That turned Comiskey from a fairly evenly balanced park to a hitter's (especially home run hitter's) park. The close fences are just beckoning our hitters to swing for them and I also think the decision to move them in has coincided with the decision to build the team around the long ball to take advantage of them.

I think one easy solution to help get the bats back on track is to move the fences back again. That would give more of an incentive to use the whole field, as well as give the pitchers more confidence. I really don't think we would be seeing such undiciplined hitting at old comiskey.

Just two more cents to take for what they are worth.

Brian26
05-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Dumb post.

The fences have nothing to do with the slump.

The Sox can't score runs on the road or at home.

The fences have nothing to do with it when all the Sox do is ground into doubleplays, pop up to shallow center, and hit little squibbers that can't even get out of the infield.

Iwritecode
05-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Dumb post.

The fences have nothing to do with it when all the Sox do is ground into doubleplays, pop up to shallow center, and hit little squibbers that can't even get out of the infield.

That is something that I've noticed with this team. The guys are hitting the ball, it just happens that someone is always standing where they hit. They can't even seem to hit the ball hard without it landing in someone's glove. Some of these balls have to start dropping sometime don't they?

RKMeibalane
05-20-2003, 02:41 PM
The baseball gods are angry with the Sox because of Jerry Reinsdorf. The successful year of 2000 was really just a practical joke they were playing on us.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

Foulke You
05-20-2003, 02:50 PM
I don't think the fences being moved in had much to do with our decline. They only moved it in slightly in the corners. LF went from 347 to 330 and RF went from 347 to 335. The gaps stayed the same at 375 each (In '97 Albert Belle said he thought it was farther than that) and CF stayed at 400. Plus the swirling Comiskey winds still knock a lot of would be HRs out of the air. I would still consider Comiskey to be more of a pitchers park than a hitters park. Plus, the fences were moved in prior to the '01 season. We hit fine in '01 and '02. In fact, I'd say we hit better at home than on the road.

Iwritecode pointed out something I've noticed a lot this year too. We just can't seem to find a hole when we hit the ball hard. It always ends up in someone's glove or they were playing us perfectly. Teams either just scout us well, our hitters are too predictable, or the baseball gods are angry with us.

Iwritecode
05-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
the baseball gods are angry with us.

The baseball gods have been angry at the entire city for almost 100 years...

:(: :whiner:

Blueprint1
05-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Maybe we can't hit a hole because the other teams have scouted out our hitters and know where they hit the ball hard most often. I also think that the league has figured out how to pitch our hitters. All of our hitters seem to be fastball hitters.

SpringfldFan
05-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Dumb post.

Sorry to upset you with my dumbness. I just remember hearing how Fenway has had a tendency to screw up inexperienced right handed hitters since they see that close fence and try to jack the pitch all the time. The sox have been built for power (at the expense of the other aspects of offense). I just figured the closer fences at the cell were one factor in that philosophy. I thought it was at least plausible since teams tailor their fields to match their strengths (sloping the baselines to aid bunts, cutting the grass lower to aid ground ball hitters, using artifical turf when the team is built on speed and slapping the ball around...).

Was just throwing the idea, if it doesn't make sense then so be it...

Dan H
05-20-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Sorry to upset you with my dumbness. I just remember hearing how Fenway has had a tendency to screw up inexperienced right handed hitters since they see that close fence and try to jack the pitch all the time. The sox have been built for power (at the expense of the other aspects of offense). I just figured the closer fences at the cell were one factor in that philosophy. I thought it was at least plausible since teams tailor their fields to match their strengths (sloping the baselines to aid bunts, cutting the grass lower to aid ground ball hitters, using artifical turf when the team is built on speed and slapping the ball around...).

Was just throwing the idea, if it doesn't make sense then so be it...

It wasn't a dumb post. The shorter dimensions may not be a primary cause, but a symptom of the team's problems. Many expectations were based on the Sox bashing the ball. They still may do that, at least some, but in close games situational hitting is a key. If the team relys so much on power and not on execution, slumps can take the wind out of them, and close games will be lost. Just give me a guy who gets in the runner from third with less than two outs, and I am sure the home runs will take care of themselves.