PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs

Gammons Peter
05-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Probably need 90 wins, so that means we have to go 70-48,
not very likely. I give them more 10 games and if they haven't turned it around, the season is officially over.

MarqSox
05-20-2003, 01:26 PM
PLAYOFFS? You wanna talk to me about PLAYOFFS? I just hope we can win a freakin' GAME!

Gammons Peter
05-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Well, if you believe they have no chance for the playoffs why are you wasting your time following the team. I'm giving them 10 more games, if they are still a sub .500 team, I'll start focusing on the upcoming football season.

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
not very likely. I give them more 10 games and if they haven't turned it around, the season is officially over.

I said we needed to go 19-9 to not only make a STATEMENT this month, but also to gain ground on KC AND the Twins. We all know they both werent going to lose at the same time. I wrote these Bozo's Off after they lost 2 in a row to Clevleland...THEN lost 2-3 to the Orioles. It was a Done Deal at that point. Getting SWEPT in MN was the merely the Final Nail in the Coffin.

Hullett_Fan
05-20-2003, 01:40 PM
No offense...but just the title of this thread makes me LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :gulp:

Brian26
05-20-2003, 02:01 PM
The Sox will need a huge turnaround to make it happen, but let's not be overly-pessimistic either. The Sox have a ton of games left within their division. If the Sox can begin their annual late-season hot streak a little early this year, they may have a chance. This isn't the AL East or AL West. 87 or 88 wins might get them a division title. If it wasn't an unbalanced schedule, I'd say we're in trouble. Because we play KC and Minnesota a dozen more times each, we have a chance.

Anaheim and Oakland have done the same thing in recent years. It's not that impossible.

Chisox353014
05-20-2003, 02:03 PM
I issued a private 20-game ultimatum before the Baltimore series: if the Sox weren't at or above .500 and within 5 games of 1st by the Arizona series then they were pretty much off my "things to do every night" list. After last night's disgrace, I'm close to just removing them right now. Getting po'd about a team that seems to have no chance to do anything and is so NOT fun to watch just isn't worth the aggravation. :angry:

Brian26
05-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Interesting to see who the true fans are when times get rough. I always thought it was a good thing to stay on the bandwagon so you have a good seat when things eventually turn around. What's the point of even being a Sox fan if you don't want to watch the team unless they win? I don't want to hear any crap about "making a statement" to the owners and management. This team was assembled with enough talent to win at the beginning of the season, so JR and KW did their jobs.

Chisox353014
05-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The Sox will need a huge turnaround to make it happen, but let's not be overly-pessimistic either. The Sox have a ton of games left within their division. If the Sox can begin their annual late-season hot streak a little early this year, they may have a chance. This isn't the AL East or AL West. 87 or 88 wins might get them a division title. If it wasn't an unbalanced schedule, I'd say we're in trouble. Because we play KC and Minnesota a dozen more times each, we have a chance.

Anaheim and Oakland have done the same thing in recent years. It's not that impossible.

This is all true, and part of me still wants to believe that the ENTIRE TEAM can't possibly continue to play as poorly as they are right now, but I haven't seen any indication that this nightmare is going to turn around soon. Yeah, we may win some series against the bottom feeders, but the way we've been so completely and thoroughly outclassed against the good teams (for the 3rd year in a row) doesn't leave me with much hope. How exactly are you supposed to put together a long winning streak when your so-called "ace" is 2-7, and 2 of your other 4 starters are inconsistent and/or headcase kids?

jeremyb1
05-21-2003, 02:14 AM

if we play to our full ability that's more than possible. if the bats on this team get hot and we have three starters pitching like aces in loaiza, buehrle, and colon rattling off a huge winning streak would be a piece of cake. remember the streak we had in '01 after we hired ward? a streak like that right now would catapult us into first place.

i'm not trying to say that 70-48 is likely but its more than possible if things go our way. look at it this way we're talking about a team that scored the third most runs in baseball season and has scored the 11th most so far this season. if we were to overacheive anywhere near as much as we've underachieved to this point it scary what we're capable of. its hard to see us overacheiving as badly as we're playing right now but who says just because you play one way for the first quarter of the season you have to play that way all season. history says otherwise. again, i won't say its likely at this point but its quite possible.

34 Inch Stick
05-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Chisox I was thinking the same thing. The next stopping off point is in about two weeks. They have to be playing good baseball by then or the end of June will see us 10 games under .

fquaye149
05-21-2003, 04:48 PM
we don't need to win 90 games...we just need to win the division...this isn't the west. if you think the royals or twins are gonna have 89 wins that's fine, but i think we just have to focus on winning games and series rather than hitting a certain win total

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Interesting to see who the true fans are when times get rough. I always thought it was a good thing to stay on the bandwagon so you have a good seat when things eventually turn around.

Hey I was pushed

whitesoxwilkes
05-21-2003, 04:54 PM
This team was assembled with enough talent to win at the beginning of the season, so JR and KW did their jobs.

Right on, Brian.

DustyIsOverated1
05-21-2003, 04:56 PM

Not in this division sweet charlie----

85 will win it---hell, we could be in first by Monday!

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1
Not in this division sweet charlie----

85 will win it---hell, we could be in first by Monday!

Wouldnt that be something?? Sox win 5 in a row, and KC/Twins both lose 5 in a row also?

TheBigHurt
05-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
PLAYOFFS? You wanna talk to me about PLAYOFFS? I just hope we can win a freakin' GAME!

JIM Mora, a Marquette fan???? BE GOOD