PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Henderson?

mike squires
05-20-2003, 09:56 AM
OK, I know I'll get torn to bits on this one , but what about aquiring Ricky Henderson? After watching the piece on him on Sportscenter you hve to at least consider it. Yes, he's 44 years old but he could give us some help in center, move Magglio to back to right where he belongs. The only problem would be...where do you place him in the line-up? I would hate to disrupt Jeminez but maybe you could move him down in the order (Jeminez) Maybe he could be like a Canseco for us and give us a spark. He could come fairly cheap, give us some speed and do well defensivly.

He could teach Bi Frank how to play rumy in between Franks at bats. :D:

I wonder if Sox fans would still boo him? They've given him a hard time over the years.

dickallen15
05-20-2003, 09:58 AM
He's worse in CF than Daubach is in RF. His time has passed.

LuvSox
05-20-2003, 10:14 AM
At 44 he still has a better glove than Carlos. Trade Lee for whatever "prospect" KW can get screwed into taking and sign Rickey. I don't believe I just said "sign Rickey" :o:

Dadawg_77
05-20-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
OK, I know I'll get torn to bits on this one , but what about aquiring Ricky Henderson? After watching the piece on him on Sportscenter you hve to at least consider it. Yes, he's 44 years old but he could give us some help in center, move Magglio to back to right where he belongs. The only problem would be...where do you place him in the line-up? I would hate to disrupt Jeminez but maybe you could move him down in the order (Jeminez) Maybe he could be like a Canseco for us and give us a spark. He could come fairly cheap, give us some speed and do well defensivly.

He could teach Bi Frank how to play rumy in between Franks at bats. :D:

I wonder if Sox fans would still boo him? They've given him a hard time over the years.

Bat Rickey second and have him tutor DJ on leading off, if he Rickey can teach he would be one hell of a professor.

DirtySouthsider
05-20-2003, 12:23 PM
First of all Rickey has NEVER played center. Secondly he is probably the most selfish players in baseball history....so I don't think he is going to come around just to teach someone to a leadoff hitter.

Next thing you know the fans are going to want Canseco back to replace Thomas!

RKMeibalane
05-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
First of all Rickey has NEVER played center. Secondly he is probably the most selfish players in baseball history....so I don't think he is going to come around just to teach someone to a leadoff hitter.

Next thing you know the fans are going to want Canseco back to replace Thomas!

Rickey played centerfield during his time with the Yankees, back in the mid 80's.

Brian26
05-20-2003, 12:53 PM
He played some center with the swingin' A's of the early 80's too. He was usually in leftfield though. I think it would be a terrible pickup. His attitude sucks, and he is dumb as rocks.

Great story about Ricky:

When he joined Seattle a couple of years ago, he was talking with John Olerud before batting practice. Ricky mentioned Olerud's batting helmet and how he wears it while he's playing firstbase. Ricky thought it was cool, and told Olerud that there was a guy on the Mets who did the same thing when Ricky was there.

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
He played some center with the swingin' A's of the early 80's too. He was usually in leftfield though. I think it would be a terrible pickup. His attitude sucks, and he is dumb as rocks.

Great story about Ricky:

When he joined Seattle a couple of years ago, he was talking with John Olerud before batting practice. Ricky mentioned Olerud's batting helmet and how he wears it while he's playing firstbase. Ricky thought it was cool, and told Olerud that there was a guy on the Mets who did the same thing when Ricky was there.

That was a funny story when I first heard that one....

Brian26
05-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Plus, Rickey played on Toronto in 93 when we got our tails kicked and Seattle in 2000. Can't have that kind of karma in the Sox dugout.

TheBigHurt
05-20-2003, 01:44 PM
MY friend is also on Newark and he says Ricky is a good leader.......I would like to see Ricky come here to Chi-town. BE GOOD

LuvSox
05-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Plus, Rickey played on Toronto in 93 when we got our tails kicked and Seattle in 2000. Can't have that kind of karma in the Sox dugout.

Karma is one thing, Lee & Harris are another. Sign him. It can't get any worse, right?

Blueprint1
05-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Maybe we can smell the wildcard again

TheBigHurt
05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Karma is one thing, Lee & Harris are another. Sign him. It can't get any worse, right?
UNFORTANELY, ya right :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: BE GOOD

J-Murr
05-20-2003, 11:43 PM
you can't possibly be serious.

Dan Gelo
05-21-2003, 01:09 AM
I'm sure he could still hit .280, and be better in situational hitting than hmm.....Rowand or Harris. He has speed like Harris, but he's played cf before. He has the most stolen bases in um......history! Selfish, maybe. Passionate, definitely. He has attitude, something this team doesn't.

And another thing. Canseco? I wouldn't want him to replace Frank, but I wouldn't mind having a guy who's hit almost 500 homeruns on my team, if only for pinch hitting.

Jjav829
05-21-2003, 08:09 AM
No way in hell do I want Rickey.

MisterB
05-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Dan Gelo
I'm sure he could still hit .280,

Are you aware that Henderson hasn't hit higher than .233 the last 3 years?

MarkEdward
05-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Are you aware that Henderson hasn't hit higher than .233 the last 3 years?

Are you aware that Henderson hasn't had an OBP under .338 since 1979?

The man can still play. Maybe he's not right for the Sox, but surely a team like the Tigers or Marlins could use him.

Brian26
05-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Teams like the Tigers and Marlins should just play their kids since there's no way they have a shot at contending. It would be a valuable time to get them experience and also assess what kind of talent they have.

Ricky, if anyone would want him at this point, would probably go to a playoff contender to provide some pinch hitting/pinch running help. Again, though, IMHO, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Sox.

Blueprint1
05-21-2003, 02:35 PM
We could pick up Ricky if KW smells the division title in a few weeks. We need to pick up a journyman noone will sign me player if he smells something.

Hangar18
05-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
We could pick up Ricky if KW smells the division title in a few weeks. We need to pick up a journyman noone will sign me player if he smells something.

I agree. if were close, we should pick him up. even if its only for speed purposes....he cant be that washed up could he?

MarkEdward
05-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Teams like the Tigers and Marlins should just play their kids since there's no way they have a shot at contending. It would be a valuable time to get them experience and also assess what kind of talent they have.

Except that the Tigers or Marlins have no young players worth evaluating. Especially the Tigers. This year they've played Hiram Bocachica, Craig Paquette, and Dimitri Young in the corner outfield spots. Don't you think that Henderson can produce better than these washouts?

Look at the Marlins. They've had Brian Banks and Juan Encarnacion play the corners. Are they any better than Rickey?

Blueprint1
05-22-2003, 05:46 PM
The tigers would love to dump some of these players but they have HUGE contracts.

Foulke You
05-22-2003, 06:20 PM
I'd almost roll the dice on Henderson playing CF for us if there was a guarantee that he kept his bad attitude far away from our clubhouse but alas, I don't believe he is capable of doing that. I lost any measure of respect I had for Rickey Henderson when he walked out on his team (Mets) in '99 during the NLCS in a game the Mets ended up winning on a Ventura grand slam.

fquaye149
05-22-2003, 07:14 PM
gee whiz, what's george brett been up to these days? or how about hank aaron? i wouldn't mind having a guy who hit 755 home runs for situational hitting.

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2003, 11:59 PM
I can't believe things have gotten so bad that people are actually considering Ricky Henderson. He's, like, so over.

AngelLeroy
05-23-2003, 12:58 AM
Wait... you people complain about KW getting older players who ruin the chemistry of this team, (Royce Clayton, Todd Ritchie, David Wells) but you want the cancerous old fogie RICKY HENDERSON?!?!? Sox fans: a walking contradiction.