PDA

View Full Version : One of North's recent rants...

Kilroy
05-20-2003, 08:01 AM
has been against Frank Thomas. Thomas said sometime last week that the Sox had been seeing some very good pitching. North immediately starts ripping into Thomas saying that this is another reason that you know he's done because he's only hitting well off the weak pitchers. Not only was he ripping him for that, but he's also benn ripping him for having 9 solo homers. Wondering why Thomas can't hit one with runners on.

Maybe its just me, but isn't there a baseball truism that says good pitching always beats good hitting?

And also, isn't it possible that pitchers have decided not to let Thomas beat them when runners are on? Especially w/ no line-up protection from Maggs, Konerko, or Lee?

What I wouldn't give for 3 minutes in a locked room with this ****wad. Just me, him, and a sock full of quarters...

:ass

I can sum up my baseball expertise in 4 letters....

N-a-d-a.

Jjav829
05-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

And also, isn't it possible that pitchers have decided not to let Thomas beat them when runners are on? Especially w/ no line-up protection from Maggs, Konerko, or Lee?

It's possible, but why? If I was a pitcher, I would never want to face Maggs with a runner on, regardless of whether he is struggling or not. I don't think Frank's walks are a result of the pitchers being scared to face him. I think they are a product of some bad pitchers facing a player who is usually very patient and willing to take a walk. However some of our other players (Maggs, Konerko, Lee) aren't as willing to take a walk. With the exception of the past week where Frank has been hitting well, I know I sure as hell wouldn't walk Frank. I would have pitched to him and once he shows he can beat me by swinging the stick, then I would pitch to him. But I'm not going to help him out by walking him.

RKMeibalane
05-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Mike North is an idiot. I'm getting tired of the way he, and others, twist every word that comes out of Frank's mouth. It's sickening. If Frank says that the Sox have been facing good pitching, then that's probably all he meant by that statement. I don't think he was making excuses, so there's no reason to rip him for saying that.

Also, Frank has been much more effective of late than Ordonez, Lee, or Konerko. How exactly is it Frank's fault that the men behind him aren't playing well. If they aren't hitting, that's their problem, not his. Frank Thomas is a good hitter, but he's only one man. One player won't make that much of a difference over the course of a full season, no matter how good he is. Even Mike North should be able to figure that out. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of North. After all, his IQ is comparable to that of a dinosaur.

Daver
05-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Maybe I'm expecting too much out of North. After all, his IQ is comparable to that of a dinosaur.

My pet dinosaur considers that an insult.

Rocky Soprano
05-20-2003, 01:30 PM
How many of Shamme's Homers are not solo shots?

What is his BA with people on base? Especially with the game on the line, Shamme does not thing but strike out.

RKMeibalane
05-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
My pet dinosaur considers that an insult.

I'm sorry. :D:

jeremyb1
05-21-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Mike North is an idiot. I'm getting tired of the way he, and others, twist every word that comes out of Frank's mouth. It's sickening. If Frank says that the Sox have been facing good pitching, then that's probably all he meant by that statement. I don't think he was making excuses, so there's no reason to rip him for saying that.

Also, Frank has been much more effective of late than Ordonez, Lee, or Konerko. How exactly is it Frank's fault that the men behind him aren't playing well. If they aren't hitting, that's their problem, not his. Frank Thomas is a good hitter, but he's only one man. One player won't make that much of a difference over the course of a full season, no matter how good he is. Even Mike North should be able to figure that out. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of North. After all, his IQ is comparable to that of a dinosaur.

i'm not a north fan and i'm not a frank basher but i was talking to my dad recently about how i think that frank knows in the abstract that he needs to perform better but in practice he ussally attributes his struggles to other factors such as facing good pitching, being pitched differently, or bad calls from the umps. i don't think frank would say that he's hitting well this season or that he doesn't need to work to improve but if you asked him why he didn't hit better last night he'd probably talk about the pitching or another factor.