PDA

View Full Version : Gary Ward Out!

Irishsox1
05-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Hopefully this will wake up the bats!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=wardfiredwhitesox&prov=st&type=lgns

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-18-2003, 09:31 PM
yabba dabba doooo! best news all weekend.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-18-2003, 09:32 PM
the article is horribly written though.

Daver
05-18-2003, 09:32 PM
This one reads a little eaiser. (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=16903628)

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-18-2003, 09:36 PM
dont let this be the end big wigs...fire jm

MHOUSE
05-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the better article Daver. Yippee they made a change. About dang time. Hopefully this will wake up the bats and take some pressure off of our pitching staff.

HawkDJ
05-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Don't expect this to turn around the season.

Mammoo
05-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Just like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic!

I wonder if Von Joshua is available :?:

Tragg
05-18-2003, 09:55 PM
At best, this will relieve the symptoms of our disease.

It is decidedly not, however, the cure we need.

voodoochile
05-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Just like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic!

I wonder if Von Joshua is available :?:

At least f it was a wooden chair, you could use it to float for a while before freezing to death. Sox seem already frozen stiff...

Getting tired of moral vicrories where the pitcher pitched well enough to win and the offense does squat...

valposoxfan
05-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Management is crazy if they think that this is the answer to try and turn the season around.

voodoochile
05-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Management is crazy if they think that this is the answer to try and turn the season around.

It's all for show... How many times will they fire some low paid functionary just to make it look like the frantic paddling is doing little more than keeping the team afloat...

TornLabrum
05-18-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm really surprised that no one has said yet that the Sox are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

LuvSox
05-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's all for show... How many times will they fire some low paid functionary just to make it look like the frantic paddling is doing little more than keeping the team afloat...

True, but Ward still isn't the hitting coach these guys need. It may be an unpopular notion, but I think this team has plenty of talent. They need the right motivation. Hopefully JM has his bags packed like an expecting mother waiting for her water to break.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Agree...we've seen this before...Contreras, Joshua, Bill Buckner etc.

It never attacks the root of the problem bad field and general managers.

Lip

Viva Magglio
05-18-2003, 11:00 PM
While I agree with the move, it really is more of a Band-Aid solution.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-18-2003, 11:06 PM
At least they have done something. The best we can hope for is that the players wake up, or we keep moving up the chain of personnel to fire.

chisox06
05-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Gary was used for nothing more than a scape goat. I dont really have an idea on how greatly a hitting coach can affect offensive production but at least the sox made a move, letting Jerry and the players know that it could be you next.

Daver
05-18-2003, 11:09 PM
There are exactly two guys on this whole coaching staff worth keeping,Don Cooper and Joe Nosseck,the rest can all go as far as I am concerned.

Viva Magglio
05-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Either Harold Baines or Greg Walker will replace Gary Ward, who replaced Von Joshua, who replaced Ron Jackson, who replaced...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Ward was another of Professor Chaos's appointees. From my perspective, the best news about Ward getting terminated is knowing K-Willy's position is becoming weaker and weaker.

Now if we could only figure out a way to make Reinsdorf's position weaker and weaker we would really be on to something! :angry:

Viva Magglio
05-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Ward was another of Professor Chaos's appointees. From my perspective, the best news about Ward getting terminated is knowing K-Willy's position is becoming weaker and weaker.

Now if we could only figure out a way to make Reinsdorf's position weaker and weaker we would really be on to something! :angry:

But won't Ward's successor also be a KW appointee?

MRKARNO
05-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Hopefully KW will resign today and that wont be an issue

PaleHoseGeorge
05-18-2003, 11:24 PM

Yes, but dumping your own underlings usually signals upper management that the real problem is with middle managment--not the flunkies who keep getting fired.

Of course there are exceptions...

:lynch&mcfail
"Hi, I'm Cubs president-for-life Andy McFail. I'm here today to fire yet another of my scapegoats for the atrocious performance of the Chicago Cubs--no fault of my own!"

TornLabrum
05-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Either Harold Baines or Greg Walker will replace Gary Ward, who replaced Von Joshua, who replaced Ron Jackson, who replaced...

I think Bill Buckner was in there somewhere, too.

jeremyb1
05-19-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan

yeah, its not like our offense needs is the problem here.

valposoxfan
05-19-2003, 02:51 AM
It is true that this may help the offense but the team's problems go much deeper than that. Don't be blinded by a move that is really not going to do anything to get this team back in contention. A new hitting coach is not going to make this team care anymore or play with anymore heart, or field better or understand basic baseball better. JM being fired would catch my attention. This does nothing.

TheBigHurt
05-19-2003, 11:12 PM
WELL our new hitting coach really helped toknight

CLR01
05-20-2003, 07:40 AM
Yeah, because everyone knows it should only take 12 hours for him to get everyone hitting again.

LuvSox
05-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
WELL our new hitting coach really helped toknight

That's not really your attitude, is it?

mike squires
05-20-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm glad to see Walk as the new hitting coach! I said it 6 months ago...he had such a sweet swing and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

To bad ESPN's sportscenter doesn't know his name. They introduced him as Gary Walker.

Another plus...Maybe I can get him to sign my old Comiskey seat back along with Baines, Dotson and Kitty...but I'd be just as happy if he can get these bats going.

mike squires
07-08-2003, 12:20 PM
I know this is an old thread, but have you seen this guy? Greg is always either on the first step of the dugout watching the action or right there on the side observing everything. I heard him on the score a few days ago and it's obvious this guy has a passion for his job and knows what he is talking out...plus he signed my chair. wooo hoooo!!!

D'Angelo F Death
07-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Yeah, and he's done wonders with Konerko!