PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts on my recent Twins Roadtrip

Hangar18
05-18-2003, 06:47 PM
That City is very Clean. Most of the people are very friendly.
I dont like Dangelo Jimenez anymore. Konerko is hurt. He cannot be this bad otherwise. Im tired of Carlos Lee swinging for the fences everytime up. Though he did get some good cuts in this weekend. Torri Hunters game saving "catch".........was Metrodome Aided. Carlos Crushed that ball....and from where WIlkes and I were sitting, that ball was on a Line Drive to the next zip code, when.....suddenly......it just kind of hung.....and .....
died up there all of a sudden. Great Catch, but if the people working those "fans", the 3 or 4 of them that you see behind homeplate, they keep the Roof "Inflated" if you will, magically turn the "fans" on when the Sox bat, that ball is long gone. Every Inning when the Twins Batted, you would notice a marked and noticable increas in the "breeze" in the stadium. Funny, because were indoors, how could there be a breeze right? Well, when the Sox batted, suddenly, there was no wind at all. just as quiet as a lazy summer day in the swamps of Louisiana.
Twins Fans think all Sox Fans are dirty violent people who would love to beat up an umpire first chance we get. Unfortuneately, they read the same Media outlets we do (albeit on a national level) There was a Twin Fan at the game, had a sign that said "Real Sox Fans" and had pics of the goofs who ran on the field recently. When I pointed out that those were cub fans from the previous afternoons games, we were accused of being cubhating liars just trying to pass the blame. Took the better part of a few Innings to Explain My Manifesto on the Media.
They believe now. Kenny Williams Needs To Go. So Does Manuel. Its not all Jerrys fault, and I sympathize with him, but "Flash" is a "Specialty" pitcher. the guy we should bring in for 2 batters tops. As long as hes striking everyone out. but as soon as he gets behind once in the count, bad things happen. I saw it coming again today, but It was Too Late at that Point for Jerry to make a move. There were a LOT OF SOX FANS UP NORTH THIS WEEKEND. Was very nice to see. Where I sat, there were many of them near our section, and was nice to get the old "SOUTH SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE" mock chant going among us.
Made the locals a little nervous though..... I asked my sister to watch the game, and Tell me if WGN was Showing GFS's. (Gratuitous Fan Shots on the Road) They Didnt. Too Bad. THERE ARE MANY MANY SOX FANS IM DISCOVERING all across this great land of ours. Was Excellent, as I tried to say Hello to almost everyone of them I met. Many drove/flew up for the game. Many were Transplanted. Many became Fans just because. Many were local. Its an amazing and curious sight to behold. What is even More Amazing about this , is the FACT we all know THE SOX GET NO MEDIA (let alone positive) MEDIA COVERAGE. So Scott from Edina MN, we drank beers before the game at Humphreys with a bunch of your Sox Friend buds, CHEERS! hope you post at WSI soon... Twins fans are somewhat Knowledgable about the game. They Clap alot. Their HotDogs suck. The Metrodome is awful with Green Concrete and some bases. Terrible. It Felt very otherworldly in there. After a while, I asked my nephew, who was looking around and taking it all in from our seats, what he thought of the place......."I Dont Like this stadium...It looks like a warehouse"
Despite all the Events of the past weekend, I ask myself why I remain a Sox Fan. And I realize why. Because of the couple thousand other Sox Fans who showed up in this god-forsaken stadium to Cheer on the good guys in black.

Hangar18
05-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Oh. As we left the Twinkie Dome, it was funny.....I told My nephew how visiting Teams Fans are "Thrown Out" of the stadium after every game. He said "no way" and I told him watch when we get to the doors leading out....
The Pressure from the inside of the stadium basically blew him out of the doors, stumbling. very funny to see.

ma-gaga
05-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

...That City is very Clean. Most of the people are very friendly....
...Torri Hunters game saving "catch".........was Metrodome Aided...
...They Clap alot...
..."I Dont Like this stadium...It looks like a warehouse"

We were able to take a tour of the stadium a couple of months ago, and yes, they can adjust the pressure of the stadium quickly, but I doubt they do this. Typically they only touch the air pressure if there's a storm outside or if a lot of people are exiting out of the pressure doors. It's an interesting idea though.

They are supposedly replacing the turf next summer. They'll be putting in the grass like turf (T-5?), so people won't be able to complain about the concrete pad next year. Well, there won't be as much complaining...

We do clap a lot. It's non-invasive and "nice". It's inbred, frankly it's disturbing. Same comment with the cleanliness and niceness.

Nobody likes the stadium except for the cheap-ass tax payers that won't pay for another one. :D: Glad you had a good time.

LuvSox
05-18-2003, 09:20 PM
That's an interesting point of view about the fans blowing in the bottom half innings.

whitesoxwilkes
05-20-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

We do clap a lot. It's non-invasive and "nice". It's inbred, frankly it's disturbing. Same comment with the cleanliness and niceness.

My chief complaint with Twins fans is that they have no passion. There's no heckling, no real getting into it. My girlfriend and I started the "Jose, Jose" chant when Valentin got up to bad and some schmoe looked at us like we had 5 arms or something. Then some 300 lb monster of a woman (90% of that state is at least 50 lbs overweight) turned around and told me "you're gonna have to stop." I asked her if she knew how to have fun at a baseball game...guess it was fun for her to plop her double wide butt in her seat and eat ice cream and do nothing. I think my best heckle was when I just kinda yelled out of the blue "Enjoy this while you can, Twins fans, this team is gone in 06 since you're too cheap to build them a new park." Didn't go over well at all.

I've always tried to be somewhat civil to visting fans at The Cell. But after this weekend, it;s all out war.

moochpuppy
05-20-2003, 08:35 AM
Twins games are very tame. Same goes for the Timberwolves. There is no energy in either building (Dome or Target Center). Now, going to a Vikings game or Wild game is a completely different experience. The fans are extremely into the game, loud, smack talking....they are absolutely enjoying their surroundings.

IMO, Twins fans are the Cubs fans of the American League.

fhqwhgads
05-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
My chief complaint with Twins fans is that they have no passion. There's no heckling, no real getting into it.

As a season-ticket holder, I'd have to agree. I get funny looks from some of the "Minnesota Nice" crowd when I give players/coaches a hard time. I don't know why I'm different, other than I'm from Wisconsin...hey, that might be it!

Also, the Metrodome sucks. There's no way to argue that. While the painted concrete that they call turf is bad enough, and the sterile atmosphere and narrow concourses and shallow rows are uncomfortable, the worst thing by far is that IT'S A FOOTBALL STADIUM! All of the seats face toward to 50-yard line, not home plate. I got a nasty neckache last week during that 14-inning marathon because of this.

My wife and I are moving to Minnesota this summer, and I for one will be more than happy to see some of my tax dollars going to a new stadium for the Twins. On the river. In St. Paul.

GO TWINS!

fhqwhgads
05-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
IMO, Twins fans are the Cubs fans of the American League.

mooch, that is totally uncalled for.

:thankgod

GO TWINS!

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Twins fans werent too Happy with me, When I took the time to explain to all within 20 feet of my seat, how the Combination of the Best AAA player ever (Arrogant Amateur Athlete), a Greedy Baseball Owner and a Commissioner with Conflicting Interests together, have cost the Minnesota Twins a new Stadium and eventually, their team. There are 3 people who will have to live with the blood on their hands.
1. Twins Owner (for selling team out and Not Drafting Prior)
2. MLB's Commissioner (for tipping Twins they would be folded)
3. Mark Prior, for demanding an exorbitant amount of Money (10 Million to be exact) despite never having thrown a pitch, and singlehandedly wanting to circumvent the entire minor league process and "paying his dues"

fhqwhgads
05-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Twins fans werent too Happy with me, When I took the time to explain to all within 20 feet of my seat, how the Combination of the Best AAA player ever (Arrogant Amateur Athlete), a Greedy Baseball Owner and a Commissioner with Conflicting Interests together, have cost the Minnesota Twins a new Stadium and eventually, their team. There are 3 people who will have to live with the blood on their hands.
1. Twins Owner (for selling team out and Not Drafting Prior)
2. MLB's Commissioner (for tipping Twins they would be folded)
3. Mark Prior, for demanding an exorbitant amount of Money (10 Million to be exact) despite never having thrown a pitch, and singlehandedly wanting to circumvent the entire minor league process and "paying his dues"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=186709

moochpuppy
05-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads

My wife and I are moving to Minnesota this summer, and I for one will be more than happy to see some of my tax dollars going to a new stadium for the Twins. On the river. In St. Paul.

GO TWINS!

Same here fhg, I have no problem with a stadium being built with tax dollars.

moochpuppy
05-20-2003, 09:09 AM
mooch, that is totally uncalled for.

:thankgod

GO TWINS!

It is SO called for! Having lived in both Chicago and the Twin Cities, I see Twin fans getting the same mentality of Cub fans. It must have something to do with all those years of losing. The only difference is the Twin fans have more of a right to act this way since they have actually won something in the past 80 years. :D:

LuvSox
05-20-2003, 09:09 AM

Sounds like a cool place for a stadium. Is that what forward thinking is?

rmusacch
05-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Oh. As we left the Twinkie Dome, it was funny.....I told My nephew how visiting Teams Fans are "Thrown Out" of the stadium after every game. He said "no way" and I told him watch when we get to the doors leading out....
The Pressure from the inside of the stadium basically blew him out of the doors, stumbling. very funny to see.

I had forgotten about that at the Metrodome.

Juan Pizarro
05-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Where did you sit, Hangar?

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
Where did you sit, Hangar?

We were in the RF Corner, right by the Sox Bullpen.

Juan Pizarro
05-20-2003, 01:08 PM
So you got down there. Did the ticket office know what you were talking about? Did they bunch other Sox fans with you?

Brian26
05-20-2003, 01:15 PM
I think we all want to know what the strip clubs are like in the Twin Cities. C'mon, Hangar. Give it up. Don't tell me you and Wilkes went to Bennigan's after the game!!!

whitesoxwilkes
05-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I think we all want to know what the strip clubs are like in the Twin Cities. C'mon, Hangar. Give it up. Don't tell me you and Wilkes went to Bennigan's after the game!!!

Actually, we went to Hubert's, not a bad place right across from the Dome. TONS of memorabilia.

Hangar18
05-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
So you got down there. Did the ticket office know what you were talking about? Did they bunch other Sox fans with you?

Actually, I asked for the cheapest tix by the sox bullpen. Wilkes section was a few aisles closer, and Torn Labrum was almost directly behind homeplate/1B side. they didnt put all the sox fans together, but it was weird, there were a TON of sox fans near us. There was a Skybox directly behind us, and there were some Sox Fans in there too, everytime we held up the SOX banner, we got cheers, some derisive, about it. There were a lot of Sox Fans up there, just funny how a bunch of them were in the RF corner. I knew where all the strip clubs were, by I had my nephew with me, so I had to behave that nite...heh heh