PDA

View Full Version : Dibble: 'Thomas the best'

MarqSox
05-17-2003, 08:56 PM
The Baseball Tonight guys were discussing the best right handed hitters of the last 25 years. Rob Dibble went beyond the last 25 years and said his top 3 right handed hitters were:
1. Hank Aaron
2. Willie Mays
3. Frank Thomas

Nice company.

For comparison's sake, Tim Kurkjian said:
1. Mike Piazza
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Paul Molitor

AngelLeroy
05-18-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
The Baseball Tonight guys were discussing the best right handed hitters of the last 25 years. Rob Dibble went beyond the last 25 years and said his top 3 right handed hitters were:
1. Hank Aaron
2. Willie Mays
3. Frank Thomas

Nice company.

1. Mike Piazza
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Paul Molitor

Tim Kurkjian=moron. I'd give him Manny Ramierez, and MAYBE Piazza, but Molitor? Paul was good, but wasn't much of a power hitter. What about guys like Puckett, Gwynn, and Boggs then? Also what about Rafael Palmiero? And countless other guys with sweet swings? Sheesh. Dibble I respect because he played the game, and would probably know good hitters when he sees them. Kurkjian is just another ESPN East-Coast goon who sits behind a desk and pretends how much he knows about baseball.

doublem23
05-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by AngelLeroy
Kurkjian is just another ESPN East-Coast goon who sits behind a desk and pretends how much he knows about baseball.

That's POTW material, IMO.

:smile:

Jjav829
05-18-2003, 02:10 AM
Tim Kurkjian=moron. I'd give him Manny Ramierez, and MAYBE Piazza, but Molitor? Paul was good, but wasn't much of a power hitter. What about guys like Puckett, Gwynn, and Boggs then? Also what about Rafael Palmiero? And countless other guys with sweet swings? Sheesh. Dibble I respect because he played the game, and would probably know good hitters when he sees them. Kurkjian is just another ESPN East-Coast goon who sits behind a desk and pretends how much he knows about baseball.

Good names, but Palmeiro, Gwynn, and Boggs are all lefties.

AngelLeroy
05-18-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Good names, but Palmeiro, Gwynn, and Boggs are all lefties.

Oops... I'm a retard. I forgot that Gwynn and Boggs were lefties, but I shoulda known Palmiero. Alright then... how about Edgar Martinez? Nomar Garciaparra? Alex Rodriguez? I sure hope they're all righties... :D:

doublem23
05-18-2003, 02:31 AM
Oops... I'm a retard. I forgot that Gwynn and Boggs were lefties, but I shoulda known Palmiero. Alright then... how about Edgar Martinez? Nomar Garciaparra? Alex Rodriguez? I sure hope they're all righties... :D:

3-for-3 this time. :smile:

Jjav829
05-18-2003, 02:32 AM

Hehe, np. :smile: I agree with Edgar. Plus, hes still doing it at the age of 40! He has 10 HR and 34 RBI on the year. Amazing. Nomar and Alex will be up there soon enough. Personally I still feel that barring some kind of Griffey-ish syndrom, Arod will retire with many records and will be known as one of the greatest ever. The only reason I say one of is because of the era comparisons between Arods time and that of Ruths,etc.

Mammoo
05-18-2003, 03:04 AM
Rob Dibble is a lamebrain!

MarqSox
05-18-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Rob Dibble is a lamebrain!

We finally get somebody in the national media giving the highest compliments to one of our Sox and you respond by calling him a lamebrain ... :angry:

fquaye149
05-18-2003, 10:12 AM
don't dish molitor so quick. he was better than edgar for sure...one of the best leadoff hitters of all time. hit for average and power for a leadoff hitter. definitely not one of the best of the last 25 years, but had a sweet swing. i think you have to give robin yount that nod over molitor though if you really wanted to pick a brewer. but mike piazza as one of the best i think was the most obscene pick. how anyone could pick mike piazza over mike schmidt is beyond me. absolutely incredible.

and he made a good pick for his number three right handed hitter, but let's face it...rob dibble is pretty much a lamebrain

Vsahajpal
05-18-2003, 10:14 AM
The top 3 RH hitters in baseball right now are Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, and Edgar Martinez.

I think over the next 10 years, Pujols will be the best hitter in baseball.

RKMeibalane
05-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
1. Hank Aaron
2. Willie Mays
3. Frank Thomas

Nice company.

1. Mike Piazza
2. Manny Ramirez
3. Paul Molitor

It's nice to see Frank getting some respect from ESPN, for once. More than anyone else, ESPN is determined to discredit the Chicago White Sox in any way possible.

Mammoo
05-18-2003, 06:11 PM
It always amazes me how someone's credibility is enhanced when he says something nice about the home team!

Have you ever listened to the guy??

My God!

ChiSox14305635
05-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It's nice to see Frank getting some respect from ESPN, for once. More than anyone else, ESPN is determined to discredit the Chicago White Sox in any way possible.

HALLELUJAH!!!

Finally, someone else sees the same thing. ESPN is so biased towards the Sox, it's not even funny. They get all giddy about the Twins, and when they struggled, they transferred that giddiness to the Royals! You'd think they were getting all of their info on the Sox from Jay Mariotti!

MarqSox
05-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
It always amazes me how someone's credibility is enhanced when he says something nice about the home team!

Have you ever listened to the guy??

My God!

Not that this correlates to his baseball knowledge, but I met Kurkjian last summer when he was in Milwaukee for the All Star Game. Really nice guy. Had his family with him ... his 10-year-old daughter was wearing a Sox hat.

kermittheefrog
05-19-2003, 01:50 AM
My top 3:

Frank Thomas
Mark McGwire
Edgar Martinez