PDA

View Full Version : Draft question:

MarkEdward
05-17-2003, 04:59 PM
I was checking Baseball America's Draft Tracker, and Mitch Maier is nowhere to be found. Has he fallen off the face of prospect earth? If he's around at 15, should the Sox take him? I don't think he'll be around for our second pick, since the A's will probably take him at 25, 26, or 33.

If we don't get Maier, should we take either Landon Powell or Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the second or third round?

Daver
05-17-2003, 05:03 PM
If I were running the draft,yes I would take Maier at 15,and I would also make sure he got signed.

DrCrawdad
05-17-2003, 05:08 PM
We'll baffle all the experts and show our "geniusness" by drafting a reliever or a no-bat SS.

Vsahajpal
05-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
We'll baffle all the experts and show our "geniusness" by drafting a reliever or a no-bat SS.

I liked the selection of Royce Ring last year, and if they go ahead and draft Houston's ridiculous relief ace Ryan Wagner at 15, I'll like the move just the same. As good as Ring is, Wagner is much better. He could start replace Rick White in the pen, the day he's drafted and signed. Meanwhile Rodger Royce Ring is dominating the Southern League.

I can envision a bullpen from the left side featuring Ring, Munoz, Wunsch, and Marte. And then you add a guy like Wagner along with Koch...lights out.

http://www.wavebaseball.com/images/0413uh/uh4.jpg
Ryan Wagner

Thus far, he's 3-5 with 13 saves and a 1.93 ERA. More importantly, he has allowed just 32 hits in 65 1/3 IP, with a ridiculous 122 strikeouts and 15 BB. Opponents hitting .147 against him with just 7 extra-base hits (no homeruns) in over 200 AB.

edit: I linked the photo of Wagner, it was too big.

Daver
05-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Royce Ring was a wasted first round pick.

This organization has exactly no one in the minors that will ever be able to play at the MLB level.

Vsahajpal
05-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Yeah, they may as well forfeit the draft picks, release Borchard, trade Honel...oh, and skip Buehrle's next start too!

joecrede
05-17-2003, 05:52 PM
According to Baseball America, the names in this year's draft most linked with the Sox 1st pick are Arizona outfielder Brian Anderson, Ball State outfielder Brad Snyder, and Arizona high school shortstop Brandon Wood. All are athletic, much improved this spring and performing well at the plate.

hose
05-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by daver

This organization has exactly no one in the minors that will ever be able to play at the MLB level.

If that's the case why don't the Sox dump Borchard, Honel, and Wing while they still have some trade value?

Daver
05-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Yeah, they may as well forfeit the draft picks, release Borchard, trade Honel...oh, and skip Buehrle's next start too!

Nice try Vic,why they drafted a releif pitcher when they have a ton of them already was my point,and you know that.

They really need to draft two catchers in the early rounds,as well as a center fielder,another position they are relatively weak at.

Vsahajpal
05-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Nice try Vic,why they drafted a releif pitcher when they have a ton of them already was my point,and you know that.

They really need to draft two catchers in the early rounds,as well as a center fielder,another position they are relatively weak at.

I actually thought you were being sarcastic. Guess not.

Laumann's done a pretty good job, if he thought Ring was BPA, I can't argue with him. Ring is moving up quickly, should move to Charlotte before the All-Star break. I'll side with him for now, Ring is better than any reliever in the system and will be a mainstay in what looks to be a very solid bullpen.

hose
05-17-2003, 06:13 PM

Daver I never know what the heck you are talking about.

Explain why the Sox have no one in the minors that will ever to be able to play at the MLB level.

Are you being sarcastic? or just not using teal?

Daver
05-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by hose
Daver I never know what the heck you are talking about.

Explain why the Sox have no one in the minors that will ever to be able to play at the MLB level.

Are you being sarcastic? or just not using teal?

I was pointing out why I would draft a catcher in the first round,the Sox have no one at that position that will ever play at the MLB level,I just worded it very badly,and I also assumed that everyone would know that Mitch Maier is a catcher.

:)

I'm having a bad day.

hose
05-17-2003, 06:20 PM
I actually thought you were being sarcastic. Guess not.

Laumann's done a pretty good job, if he thought Ring was BPA, I can't argue with him. Ring is moving up quickly, should move to Charlotte before the All-Star break. I'll side with him for now, Ring is better than any reliever in the system and will be a mainstay in what looks to be a very solid bullpen.

Adding Ring with Marte and Wuncsch would really be sweet.

What is the word on Honel and Wing?

I haven't given up on Borchard , it takes patience for some players to develop.

Last year a lot of people were calling Corey Patterson a bust, but he is looking real good now.

hose
05-17-2003, 06:22 PM
I was pointing out why I would draft a catcher in the first round,the Sox have no one at that position that will ever play at the MLB level,I just worded it very badly,and I also assumed that everyone would know that Mitch Maier is a catcher.

:)

I'm having a bad day.

Gotcha Daver.

DrCrawdad
05-17-2003, 06:30 PM

:D: The last part might be a good idea...

DrCrawdad
05-17-2003, 06:35 PM
...(Wagner) could start replace Rick White in the pen, the day he's drafted and signed...

I think I could replace Rick White, and probably be equally ineffective.

MarkEdward
05-18-2003, 01:18 AM

Ryan Wagner

Thus far, he's 3-5 with 13 saves and a 1.93 ERA. More importantly, he has allowed just 32 hits in 65 1/3 IP, with a ridiculous 122 strikeouts and 15 BB. Opponents hitting .147 against him with just 7 extra-base hits (no homeruns) in over 200 AB.

If you check out Wagner's stats, then he *is* pretty hard to ignore.

Anyway, I was reading over a BA chat today. Jim Callis stressed that most teams take the best player available with their first few picks. While I understand that reasoning, I have to agree with Daver on this. Maier has been a beast this year. .524 OBP, 31 walks to eight strikeouts, 29-33 in stolen base attempts. His defense is questionable, but you can't discount those offensive numbers.

If we don't take Maier, Powell would probably be next in line. Although he does play against better opponents, he does have a lower OBP (.439). He hasn't had much success on defense either, only throwing out eight of 24 runners.

Face it: we have no catchers in our system. A dominant relief ace is great, but a good hitting catcher is much more valuable. Unless someone like Sleeth or Sullivan is available, I don't want the Sox taking a pitcher with their first pick.

Daver
05-18-2003, 01:24 AM
I have had the advantage of seeing Maier play in person,so I may be biased in my opinion.

doublem23
05-18-2003, 03:11 AM
I liked the selection of Royce Ring last year, and if they go ahead and draft Houston's ridiculous relief ace Ryan Wagner at 15, I'll like the move just the same. As good as Ring is, Wagner is much better. He could start replace Rick White in the pen, the day he's drafted and signed. Meanwhile Rodger Royce Ring is dominating the Southern League.

I can envision a bullpen from the left side featuring Ring, Munoz, Wunsch, and Marte. And then you add a guy like Wagner along with Koch...lights out.

Ryan Wagner

edit: I linked the photo of Wagner, it was too big.

God damn, first the 1970s Astros and now this... What is with Texas and horrible uniforms?

doublem23
05-18-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I think I could replace Rick White, and probably be equally ineffective.

Don't be so humble.... You could do much better.