PDA

View Full Version : Sox Talking Trade with Cardinals?

Viva Magglio
05-17-2003, 12:31 PM
In today's Tribune, Teddy Greenstein reports rumors that the St. Louis Cardinals have expressed interest in (no, not Mark Buehrle, but) Jon Garland. In return, the Cardinals would send us J.D. Drew to be our center fielder. Maybe it's just me, but this trade would not make much sense. Is St. Louis so pitching desperate that they would ship potential superstar Drew away for the underachieving Garland? I realize that Drew has had the injury bug and has not totally lived up to expectations, but this one is a head scratcher. Then again, can you imagine KW "winning" a trade with Walt Jocketty?

Link for those of you Tribune-registered (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030516soxnotes,1,6736730.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines)

valposoxfan
05-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Don't you realize that Garland will be great in St. Louis. It's bound to happen. JD Drew will come here and be horrible (aka Steve Sax) and we will be complaining about KW again. It will happen. Jockety will come out on top no matter what.

OEO Magglio
05-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Valpo, yeah your definetly right, if that trade took place Garland probably would end up being a very good pitcher, but if the sox could ever make that trade, that would be awesome, cause drew has the potential to be a great player, and also then that would finally give the sox a left handed power hitter in the lineup, but i doubt we'll see this trade happen.

Vsahajpal
05-17-2003, 01:17 PM
I dont' think JD can handle CF with his injury troubles, but if you stick him in right, with Ordonez in left, and Borchard in center...awesome.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2003, 01:25 PM
http://mellody.co.za/michaela/palpatine/gallery/emperor10.jpg

"The St. Louis Cardinals wish to make a transaction with us. Excellent. Everything is going as planned."

joecrede
05-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I dont' think JD can handle CF with his injury troubles, but if you stick him in right, with Ordonez in left, and Borchard in center...awesome.

Moving Lee to first, dealing Konerko to the O's for Ponson . . . :D:

DrCrawdad
05-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

JD Drew is a question mark in CF. This deal would only make sense if...

...The Sox trade Lee.
...The Sox have faith in Rauch or some other prospect to succeed.

As you've said VIC, an outfield of Borchard, Drew and Magglio would be, in a word awesome - at least offensively and they'd be ok defensively better than now at least.

I'm not too thrilled with the idea of KW trading away anymore pitching, unless they've got confidence in whomever is in the pipeline.

TRL
05-17-2003, 02:20 PM
I doubt that this trade would happen, but I agree with DrCrawdad in that KW better have someone in line to take Garland's spot. My roommate is a Cardinals fan and he is always complaining about the play of Drew. He has been hurt a lot and when he actually plays, he doesn't seem to live up to the "potential". Drew would ideally give us a good left-handed bat with some pop, but he could also give us something else to bitch about.

hose
05-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
JD Drew is a question mark in CF. This deal would only make sense if...

...The Sox trade Lee.
...The Sox have faith in Rauch or some other prospect to succeed.

As you've said VIC, an outfield of Borchard, Drew and Magglio would be, in a word awesome - at least offensively and they'd be ok defensively better than now at least.

I'm not too thrilled with the idea of KW trading away anymore pitching, unless they've got confidence in whomever is in the pipeline.

Garland- $375,000
Drew- $3,600,000

Only way the Sox pick up Drew is if they get rid of Lee or Konerko.

At over $6,000,000 Konerko would be real hard to move.

spanishwhite
05-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by hose
Garland- $375,000
Drew- $3,600,000

Only way the Sox pick up Drew is if they get rid of Lee or Konerko.

At over $6,000,000 Konerko would be real hard to move.

Someone mentioned Ponson for Konerko.

That is fair in terms of talent.

I think that Baltimore would take that salary.

South Sider
05-17-2003, 04:00 PM
I doubt that anything will happen until the Sox are eliminated from the playoffs (by the all star break).

Regardless of how bad the Sox will play JR & KW will
wait......and wait.....and wait.....and wait
and then they only will make some bad trades
Colon for nobody, Lee for another can't miss kid etc.

And you can bet that the manager in 02/2004 will still be JM

With no really prospects in the minors the future of the Sox looks very dark and frightening to me

But I still will follow them.............damned !!!!

Go Sox

MarkEdward
05-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite

Baltimore has a ton of corner infielders/outfielders. I doubt they'd want another, especially with Konerko's slary.

MisterB
05-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by TRL
He has been hurt a lot and when he actually plays, he doesn't seem to live up to the "potential".

:KW

"Sounds like my kind of player."

hose
05-17-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite

As a fan it's hard to talk trades because of the salaries.

What team is willing to add or subtract from their pay roll?

If the Sox stay in the race I like Phil Rogers trade for Carl Evertt.

MHOUSE
05-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Garland for a lefthanded bat is a good idea. Keep Lee, he is hitting well finally. Paulie is tradeable if someone will take him. He just made a great diving stab in todays game tho!

Dick Allen
05-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately, the Sox had Garland traded a year or so ago for Erstad. Angels owner nixed it at the last second. Too bad.

hold2dibber
05-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Unfortunately, the Sox had Garland traded a year or so ago for Erstad. Angels owner nixed it at the last second. Too bad.

Ick. It took the Angles $32 million to re-sign Erstad this off season for 4 years (i.e., $4 mm per year for 4 years). That trade would have absolutely KILLED the Sox because they would have re-signed Erstad for about that $ (as KW has said), and that money will/would be much better spent on Colon or someone else who, unlike Erstad, isn't mediocre (at best).

Tragg
05-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Is Drew a center fielder? I saw him the other night and he bobbled every ball hit to right. He's not that good a player.
Don't trade players at the bottom of their tradeability range, like garland is today (or Konerko).

Plus, I still think Garland will be a good pitcher in this league - Drew will never be a real good player.

gosox41
05-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by South Sider
I doubt that anything will happen until the Sox are eliminated from the playoffs (by the all star break).

Regardless of how bad the Sox will play JR & KW will
wait......and wait.....and wait.....and wait
and then they only will make some bad trades
Colon for nobody, Lee for another can't miss kid etc.

And you can bet that the manager in 02/2004 will still be JM

With no really prospects in the minors the future of the Sox looks very dark and frightening to me

But I still will follow them.............damned !!!!

Go Sox

I don't understand why Lamebrain (ie KW) doesn't do something to shake up this roster. He's an idiot. Every year we watch this team struggle to stay average, usually with a slow start out of the gate. This is the third year in a row it's happening and KW is just sitting there staying put. Hasn't he figured out that is probably the dumbest decision. If something doesn't work after 2 1/4 years in the baseball world it's time to change.

The worst part is when he does decide to make a move he's going all he's going to do is have a well publicized fire sale where the Sox can get minimum value for their talent.

Bob

MRKARNO
05-18-2003, 10:42 AM
I heard in today's suntimes that most baseball insiders were shocked at this proposal