PDA

View Full Version : How Come?

WhiteSox = Life
05-17-2003, 03:23 AM
ChiSox06 brought up an interesting point in the *official* game day thread for May 16, 2003.

Also, why is it EVERYTIME we the fans feel like the sox have had a game or a series for that matter that will give the team some sustained momentum, the sox come right out and fall embarrassingly on their face??

Why? How come?

It doesn't make sense.

Or does it?

How do you sustain a rally? You don't change your attitude. You continue to believe that you've still got to do what you originally did to win.

For example, the White Sox facing the Orioles on Thursday versus the White Sox facing the Twins on Friday.

On Thursday, the Sox did not play tentatively. They went out there and attacked the ball, not letting any distractions get to them.

Friday, the Sox played with the feeling of "Hey, we just swept the O's and played great. We're on fire!"

Now, that may not be the exact quote, but I'm sure it was a feeling, or somewhat similar to some players on the team. With that thought process, they go out and get absolutely shellacked that it's almost embarrassing to even put the word Sox after the word White without cringing.

So, what is the point? What is the problem?

Here's the problem: The White Sox do not have the current ability to maintain any streak because they too often get passive. Of course, this does not apply to everybody on the team, but can you, the reader, honestly say that Friday night, after getting down 6-2, even 4-2, that the Sox seemed to play with a little less gumption?

If the answer is no, you need to pay a little more attention.

If the answer is yes, what is the remedy?

This isn't supposed to turn into another Fire Jerry Manuel or get rid of Gary Ward thread, but it's to address a pressing issue - the lack of intensity the White Sox show; not only offensively, but pitching-wise and defensively. Not to mention, this definitely becomes a major dilemma when the Sox are facing above .500 teams.

The Sox are playing apathetic in all stages of the game - even base-running, the little bit that they have! You can't get rid of everybody and it doesn't look like any coach is going to get fired anytime soon.

For those who have endured this lengthy exposition, I offer you this two-part question to answer:

How do you explain the problem of the White Sox' lack of intensity and emotion (especially, in big games) and how do you rectify it?

TornLabrum
05-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Here is the answer, direct from the WSI dictionary:

H. Vickery's Law - The metaphysical truth that "whenever something good begins to happen for the Sox, disaster is about to occur". Named for Sox Fan Hal Vickery. Not to be confused with Vickery's Law

oldcomiskey
05-17-2003, 09:47 AM
I think we are doing well for a club with no manager of any consequence---two first baseman who have forgotten how to hit---a 3rd baseman who may or not be ready for the major leagues---I stiill say herbert perry should be there........and absoulutely no production from centerfield or catcher

Procol Harum
05-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Why do the Sox fall on their face in any game or series of any magnitude? Elementary, my dear Watson--the Sox are a mediocre team with a lack of team speed and defense, glaring weaknesses in their starting pitching rotation, in CF and behind the plate and major question marks at SS, 2B, and perhaps 3B. And the one thing this team (potentially) does well--hit--it hasn't been doing either. All in all, hardly a rosy scenario for success.

MHOUSE
05-17-2003, 11:30 AM
The Orioles lost to the Devil Rays 5-1 last night. We had to battle 1-0 and then have late rallys in the last two. This was a hard-fought sweep when it should have been a cake walk. Suddenly this is ringing true when we get pounded by a real team. Thats why we fall flat.

oldcomiskey
05-17-2003, 12:00 PM
I said it before--the Sox are a good collection of players----admit it the Twins outclass us and thats hard to say........until we get a manager who aint afraid to make that line in the samd we will continue to be just that---a good collection of players

gosox41
05-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
ChiSox06 brought up an interesting point in the *official* game day thread for May 16, 2003.

Why? How come?

It doesn't make sense.

Or does it?

How do you sustain a rally? You don't change your attitude. You continue to believe that you've still got to do what you originally did to win.

For example, the White Sox facing the Orioles on Thursday versus the White Sox facing the Twins on Friday.

On Thursday, the Sox did not play tentatively. They went out there and attacked the ball, not letting any distractions get to them.

Friday, the Sox played with the feeling of "Hey, we just swept the O's and played great. We're on fire!"

Now, that may not be the exact quote, but I'm sure it was a feeling, or somewhat similar to some players on the team. With that thought process, they go out and get absolutely shellacked that it's almost embarrassing to even put the word Sox after the word White without cringing.

So, what is the point? What is the problem?

Here's the problem: The White Sox do not have the current ability to maintain any streak because they too often get passive. Of course, this does not apply to everybody on the team, but can you, the reader, honestly say that Friday night, after getting down 6-2, even 4-2, that the Sox seemed to play with a little less gumption?

If the answer is no, you need to pay a little more attention.

If the answer is yes, what is the remedy?

This isn't supposed to turn into another Fire Jerry Manuel or get rid of Gary Ward thread, but it's to address a pressing issue - the lack of intensity the White Sox show; not only offensively, but pitching-wise and defensively. Not to mention, this definitely becomes a major dilemma when the Sox are facing above .500 teams.

The Sox are playing apathetic in all stages of the game - even base-running, the little bit that they have! You can't get rid of everybody and it doesn't look like any coach is going to get fired anytime soon.

For those who have endured this lengthy exposition, I offer you this two-part question to answer:

How do you explain the problem of the White Sox' lack of intensity and emotion (especially, in big games) and how do you rectify it?

Not to sound like a college basketball fan, but the White Sox are "Overrated".

AS long as KW is here to keep making stupid moves, this team is on a slow and painful slide down.

When I first started posting here, I said that if KW could last as GM for the 2005 season then thsi team will probably be worse then the Tigers and Royals.

Bob

oldcomiskey
05-17-2003, 03:33 PM
hes made more good moves than bad ones-----

Lip Man 1
05-18-2003, 01:53 AM
And all those "good" moves has done what?

Lip

doublem23
05-18-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

For starters...

:kmarte:bcolon

oldcomiskey
05-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I see your point but youre missing mine---is it Williams fault that he has a manger who is cluel............wait I guess it is... KW has brought in Marte and Colon and now Burly is the one who is stinking it up...if he brings on another manager with experience---I mean whos available-----do you really want Baylor ti run this team.....the best possible option as far as experience goes is Jeff Torborg

Paulwny
05-18-2003, 11:22 AM
The ultimate blame goes to the man at the top, JR, and he's too big an egotist to admit any mistakes in hiring people.

duke of dorwood
05-18-2003, 11:27 AM
And the bottom line? The team has regressed since a championship calibur team in 2000. In an easy division yet. Yes we have obtained some big names in trades, but many of those traded, great role playing guys, are contributing successfully on other teams. 3 for 1 trades take their toll, and they have here.